16 Bar Envelope?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chrischrischris

15 Oct 2017

Hi,

Are there any devices Native Or Other that will allow Me to create A 16 Bar Envelope?

Most Devices seem to have A Maximum Or 8 Bar or Equivalent Value.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2017

How about a bit more information of what you would like to do with it?

One could claim that all envelopes with a sustain will go to how many bars you want until you release a key, hence my first question.

chrischrischris

15 Oct 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
15 Oct 2017
How about a bit more information of what you would like to do with it?

One could claim that all envelopes with a sustain will go to how many bars you want until you release a key, hence my first question.
Okay thanks for the reply.

I would like to use Native Reason Synths with various different legnth Envelopes / LFO's to control FX/Filters etc using The Matrix (Thor Europa Grain etc)

It looks like Native Reason Devices only have a maximum of 8 Bars but I would like to see as much as 32 Bars.

I have been looking at LFO RE's but am not coming up with any answers.

The main reason for wanting to do this kind of stuff in The Matrix is to keep The Sequencer Window tidier.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2017

Little LFO goes all the way down to .001 Hz, which is silly slow time :)

The JP's Charlotte Env generator is extremely flexible also Blamsoft Movement is another one.

dana

15 Oct 2017

Driver has a 16 Bar envelope output with c1 and c2 both having cv outputs

pushedbutton

15 Oct 2017

There's always the sequencer, just grab the parameter by the nuts and apply a CV curve to it.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

starship
RE Developer

15 Oct 2017

The PSDN goes up to 32 bars per ramp. :) Though version 1 kinda sucks, GUI-wise. 2.0 is on the way, and it's easier to see what's going on. I mean IMO, as the dev, version 1 is the reason why I made version 2, and I'm real late with it. But it does go up to 32 bars per ramp (so it has a max of 32x5 bars.. actually about x2 with linking) and it does nonlinear curving. I do not think version 2 sucks. I think it rocks. Just to be clear. :) And it'll be a free upgrade.

starship
RE Developer

15 Oct 2017

Here, do you mind if I paste screenshots? I was just taking these, so I figure why not paste 'em here. I hope no one minds. But I mean it, I think version 2.0 is a big improvement. :) I just released the KRON a few days ago... and I was thinking of doing a bundle but I don't think I'm going to yet.. I edited this post after doing some math and realizing that the way I like to do sales will really screw up the automatic bundle price. My bad. I gotta think about that before committing.
PSDN front normal res geen.png
PSDN front normal res geen.png (204.33 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
PSDN front normal res purple.png
PSDN front normal res purple.png (210.7 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
PSDN back normal res.png
PSDN back normal res.png (233.24 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
Last edited by starship on 15 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2017

FYI
pushedbutton wrote:
15 Oct 2017
There's always the sequencer, just grab the parameter by the nuts and apply a CV curve to it.
chrischrischris wrote:
15 Oct 2017

The main reason for wanting to do this kind of stuff in The Matrix is to keep The Sequencer Window tidier.
Personally I add things to the SEQ for more control..

AttenuationHz

16 Oct 2017

starship wrote:
15 Oct 2017
The PSDN goes up to 32 bars per ramp. :) Though version 1 kinda sucks, GUI-wise. 2.0 is on the way, and it's easier to see what's going on. I mean IMO, as the dev, version 1 is the reason why I made version 2, and I'm real late with it. But it does go up to 32 bars per ramp (so it has a max of 32x5 bars.. actually about x2 with linking) and it does nonlinear curving. I do not think version 2 sucks. I think it rocks. Just to be clear. :) And it'll be a free upgrade.
This will be something I could need. I usually use eXpanses env and likely will with V3 but this looks very Neath and tidy and eXpanse takes up much space looking forward to V2 have not tried V1 yet. Wait and see if V3 of expanse will do the job envelope wise. The thing i'm always looking for is a long ass envelope in particular for frequency mods for slow progressing drone sounds. It is tiresome automating it I'd rather set and forget. Little Lfo is decent for the long envelope but something like V2 will be very handy and more flexible.

Do you mean to say it is/could be a 160/320 bar envelope :shock: :thumbs_up: Does it also double as an LFO uni/bipolar? I asked for the envelopes on the new 10 devices be linked but still if that happens it would only amount to 32 bars for all four envelopes if they don't increase the size.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

starship
RE Developer

16 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
16 Oct 2017

This will be something I could need. I usually use eXpanses env and likely will with V3 but this looks very Neath and tidy and eXpanse takes up much space looking forward to V2 have not tried V1 yet. Wait and see if V3 of expanse will do the job envelope wise. The thing i'm always looking for is a long ass envelope in particular for frequency mods for slow progressing drone sounds. It is tiresome automating it I'd rather set and forget. Little Lfo is decent for the long envelope but something like V2 will be very handy and more flexible.

Do you mean to say it is/could be a 160/320 bar envelope :shock: :thumbs_up: Does it also double as an LFO uni/bipolar? I asked for the envelopes on the new 10 devices be linked but still if that happens it would only amount to 32 bars for all four envelopes if they don't increase the size.
Oh yeah, each ramp/delay stage can be 32 bars, and the 2 envs can be linked at any stages, and you can chain the devices together, so I mean you can make an envelope of 1024 bars if you want to. :) Though I think 1024 would be a little unwieldy.

You can loop the envelopes--that's about as close to an LFO as you're going to get with it (and add them together to get overlapping looping), but I definitely use that sometimes in combi patches where I'm trying to only use the PSDN and stock devices. And it's uni/bi.

But yeah, I have used the PSDN, v1, when I was starting out, to do nice long envelopes for like level ramping or frequency filter sweeps. E.g. my ability to draw a fade-out in the automation/sequencer window is... well, it's going to be a few lines stuck together. Compared to putting a really smooth log s-curve or whatever I want on that level to fadeout/in... there isn't much comparison. But you gotta wire it up...

So there are humongous advantages to using the envs on your favorite synth, if they're nonlinear. The PSDN's poly abilities won't necessarily extend to other instruments. But e.g. I plan on making instruments that can accept its output and refining the data standard and publishing it so others can use it too. It'll take a while..

It can do poly where each channel gets its own instrument. So it's a way to revamp the stock instruments that are pretty low-CPU-usage. But you probably can't make 8 expanses for a combi patch. ;) well, at least not have a song full of them. You can however do mono-type stuff, like overall filter sweeps, on a poly instrument. Which is I think what you're talking about.

Anyway, that's long-winded but yeah! :)

AttenuationHz

16 Oct 2017

starship wrote:
16 Oct 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
16 Oct 2017

Oh yeah, each ramp/delay stage can be 32 bars, and the 2 envs can be linked at any stages, and you can chain the devices together, so I mean you can make an envelope of 1024 bars if you want to. :) Though I think 1024 would be a little unwieldy.

You can loop the envelopes--that's about as close to an LFO as you're going to get with it (and add them together to get overlapping looping), but I definitely use that sometimes in combi patches where I'm trying to only use the PSDN and stock devices. And it's uni/bi.

But yeah, I have used the PSDN, v1, when I was starting out, to do nice long envelopes for like level ramping or frequency filter sweeps. E.g. my ability to draw a fade-out in the automation/sequencer window is... well, it's going to be a few lines stuck together. Compared to putting a really smooth log s-curve or whatever I want on that level to fadeout/in... there isn't much comparison. But you gotta wire it up...

So there are humongous advantages to using the envs on your favorite synth, if they're nonlinear. The PSDN's poly abilities won't necessarily extend to other instruments. But e.g. I plan on making instruments that can accept its output and refining the data standard and publishing it so others can use it too. It'll take a while..

It can do poly where each channel gets its own instrument. So it's a way to revamp the stock instruments that are pretty low-CPU-usage. But you probably can't make 8 expanses for a combi patch. ;) well, at least not have a song full of them. You can however do mono-type stuff, like overall filter sweeps, on a poly instrument. Which is I think what you're talking about.

Anyway, that's long-winded but yeah! :)
:thumbs_up: 1024 dunno might find a use for that just for the sake of it!! :D
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

starship
RE Developer

16 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
16 Oct 2017

hehe! I mean if you want to beta it, you're welcome to. Send me an email via support@alien-seed.com.

And 1024 was just an arbitrarily large number. ;) You could do any length you wanted with enough chained together, but it'd be a pain to have to trigger it from the start and wait e.g. 1024 bars before it got to the spot you were interested in. However, I agree that 8 bars is *not enough*.

AttenuationHz

16 Oct 2017

starship wrote:
16 Oct 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
16 Oct 2017

hehe! I mean if you want to beta it, you're welcome to. Send me an email via support@alien-seed.com.

And 1024 was just an arbitrarily large number. ;) You could do any length you wanted with enough chained together, but it'd be a pain to have to trigger it from the start and wait e.g. 1024 bars before it got to the spot you were interested in. However, I agree that 8 bars is *not enough*.
:P :thumbs_up:

• Information