Can VSTI output be audible even if you start playback before a MIDI note on?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
bhuether

15 Oct 2017

I have been using Reaper for a bit and really love how on playback, a VSTi output is always audible regardless of whether you start playback in the middle of a note. In Reason I am noticing that audio output will only be heard upon a note on. Is there a setting in Reason that allows similar behavior to Reaper? In Reaper that is such a great feature! It really helps unify the idea of MIDI and audio, which Reaper's routing philosophy seems to be based on.

thanks,Brian

Hauser+Quaid

15 Oct 2017

As far as I know, Reaper & ProTools are the only DAWs that have that behaviour. I love it, wish all DAWs did it, but unfortunately I think those are the only 2 that do.

AttenuationHz

15 Oct 2017

Do you mean if its a long note say over 4 bar and you stop playback it will stop the playback but if you restart from bar 1 it will play the audio that should be on bar 1 even though the note was not triggered? There is no way I know of to do that in Reason unless it is audio. Would be a great feature to have all right.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

xylyx

15 Oct 2017

Hauser+Quaid wrote:
15 Oct 2017
As far as I know, Reaper & ProTools are the only DAWs that have that behaviour. I love it, wish all DAWs did it, but unfortunately I think those are the only 2 that do.
Studio One can also do that...and yes, I would like to have that in Reason.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2017

The real issue is when these other DAW's start the sound it's starting the sound from the beginning of it's envelope so you may have a long attack time and other modulation going on, so restarting the sound half way can be so wrong for the track.

With real long notes I do bounce to track.

PoohBear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Music made with Reason
(Electronic) Poly Madness
(Electronic) Solar Dance
(Electronic) Into The Night
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Information