Using CV "Gate" to play different notes of an instrument

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
groggy1

14 Oct 2017

I'm struggling to find a solution to this:

I have the Microtoniq drum VST. I want to trigger the different drum sounds individually, but the only way to trigger them is to play C0-F0 musical notes (i.e. the VST drum-pads are triggered by note-input).

I'd like to have some of the ReDrum gate-outs trigger Microtoniq. But I'm not sure how...

Any ideas?

AttenuationHz

14 Oct 2017

Easy way Matrix's and MoPol

Money Way
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

sdst
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2017

groggy1

14 Oct 2017

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll go try it out tonight!

Reasonable man

14 Oct 2017

I downloaded this CV8X4 thing after reading this and a few other threads. It has alot of outs but no ins that i can see. How do you get a cv signal into it? How or when would it be used? Thanks ... it baffles me!

sdst
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2017

Reasonable man wrote:
14 Oct 2017
I downloaded this CV8X4 thing after reading this and a few other threads. It has alot of outs but no ins that i can see. How do you get a cv signal into it? How or when would it be used? Thanks ... it baffles me!
trying to explain this

AttenuationHz

14 Oct 2017

Reasonable man wrote:
14 Oct 2017
Its just a midi note generator.
CV#Note.JPG
CV#Note.JPG (58.48 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Reasonable man

15 Oct 2017

Ok Thanks

emilng

15 Oct 2017

I ran into this issue myself and I ended up using Thor's sequencer for triggering individual notes, MoPol (free rack extension https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... cv-merger/) for merging the note and gate CVs, and then routing the output from MoPol into the gate and note in of a combinator in my case.

So the way this works is you
1. Create a Thor instance.
3. Turn the Step Count knob to 1 in the Thor sequencer.
4. Change the sequencer mode in Thor to anything other than off. Since you only have 1 step they all work the same.
5. Change the knob for the first step to whatever note you want to generate. You might have to increase the octave switch to 4 or full depending on what note you want to generate.
6. Duplicate this instance so you have one Thor instance for each drum you want to trigger.
7. Repeat step 5 for each instance so that each Thor instance generates the note you want.
2. Connect each gate out in Redrum to the Gate In (Trig) of the Step Sequencer CV Input of each Thor instance.
6. Connect the note and gate CVs from each instance of Thor into a MoPol instance.
7. Connect the note and gate output of the C (Any Gates 1-8) output of Mopol into the note and gate inputs of your VST.

I created a sample file with 3 instances of Thor triggering a Kong inside of a Combinator.
Attachments
Drum Note Trigger Demo.reason.zip
(124.59 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
mostly modular experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/maztik8r

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2017

sdst wrote:
14 Oct 2017
Reasonable man wrote:
14 Oct 2017
trying to explain this
This video may help, just replace the EMI with your VST, wiring up the Gate and CV.

Reasonable man

15 Oct 2017

........Ah! i get it now

• Information