POLL: Will you embrace the RE Subscription Model?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try out a RE subscription?

1 - Not remotely interested
51%
2 - Undecided. May try a month out here and there.
32%
3 - Yes. Interested in the 9 plan
14%
4 - Yes. Interested in the 19 plan
2%
5 - Yes. Interested in the 29 plan
1%

Total votes: 232
Goodbye

10 Oct 2017

It was potentially interesting, but the online-only aspect kills it for me.

They really should have done rent-to-buy. I think they would have got a lot of respect and support.

syncanonymous

10 Oct 2017

Zac wrote:
09 Oct 2017
It has to be a no from me now that I know you need online sign in to use subscription REs. Quite disappointed actually.
Ooooh...that is a deal breaker. Being connected to internet while working on audio is rife with crackly click issues. If the sub model isn't available offline, I will never use it.

If you can use Subs offline, I actually love the idea as long we can own what we want as it is now; which is how it is explained on the PHead blog.

I voted for the 30/mo...I think the rounding down to 9 is lame; it shows what PHeads think of the target market. 10/20/30 is just fine, thanks.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

apostrophedave

10 Oct 2017

im pretty hopeless at trialing RE's. its usually a case of messing around with one the first day or two of the trial and then forgetting about it until the last day or maybe just not being in the mood to noodle around with it during some of that month.

it would be great if you could pause the trial maybe 3 or 4 times so you could use it for 4 separate weeks instead 1 single month. becuase there are a ton of RE i would like to try out again just for a few days.

anyway, this subscription will be really useful for numnuts like me that let the trial run out before theyve got to fully trial it

craven

10 Oct 2017

Bobby wrote:
09 Oct 2017
I voted $9 plan, but I just upgraded to 9.5 from Reason 4 this month so I still have a ton of demo'ing to do this year.

But for less than Neflix... ?
every RE comes with a one-time 30 day free demo period. So you can use that first before getting any subscription.
:ugeek:

deepndark

10 Oct 2017

I would like one more subscription type: Let us rent one effect/instrument RE of choice for 3-5 EUR a month, and when the official TOTAL price has reached, you'd own it.

PhutureD

10 Oct 2017

If one looks at the pattern , most likely subscriptions will be enforced in a few years time, across all software, not just reason, hopefully it takes longer than a few years.

Aosta

10 Oct 2017

I don't really get this?
Surely if you haven't bought a RE after a month's trial why would you rent it?
I get that it may be a better way for someone who absolutely loves a RE but can't afford it outright to get to use it but that whole signing in just makes it seem like a paid demo.
I thinks props are listening to the loud minority of users lately.
VST support and now subscriptions, both things that the majority of reason users couldn't give a toss about.
Tend the flame

robgs

10 Oct 2017

Then comes the Reason subscription model...
:reason: :record: :refill: :reload: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

BonsaiMacKay

10 Oct 2017

That's some sharks that Swedish Fonz has had to jump lately.

fotizimo

10 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
09 Oct 2017
I don’t get how people are “against” an option to rent - if you don’t need it don’t use it. Why be “against” it?
My issues with the "rental" or subscription option, is the fact that it most likely leads to a stagnation in development once a steady income stream has been obtained.

Lets take a look at Adobe's CC subscription model. Ok, there are a few options, depending on the level of apps you are looking for, but for any photographer who uses Lightroom, what really ground-breaking features have been added since Lightroom CC? With each major version before, Lightroom became more and more functional, but since v6 and CC, Lightroom has stagnated with only new camera models being supported. No new features, no new functions, and a true and total lack of development for fixing any problems, with the program. What ground-breaking features has Photoshop had includeded since CC?

It is my opinion that a steady income stream for a developer stalls forward moment, but maybe my experiences are unique.

I will say that Roland's Cloud Content offering is good, with the idea of subscribing to their service, and after 12 concurrent active months, you get to own one of the synths of your choice. It is more expensive at $19/month but then again, there are some great powerhouse synths in their offering. Maybe if this plan offered some option to own after a period of time, I would be interested. But with it only being a permanent rental plan, it has no value to me, since I plan to keep using Reason for a number of years.

That is my two cents.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

Faastwalker

10 Oct 2017

I have not had a chance to really look into this or read through the thread. But the subscription plan looks very well thought out. I love the way you can customize packs & starting at $9 a month is a pretty good deal. If it was 'rent to own' I'd be all over it for RE's that are on my radar but maybe I'm struggling to justify if the price is high.

decoder

10 Oct 2017

I would have to decline this myself...
Due to my inconsistent internet service, being online for any subscription REs to work for a long period of time would be too frustrating to be creative.

Mistro17

10 Oct 2017

I like to just buy software and have it at my disposal for the foreseeable future. If I like something enough to put any amount of money towards it, then I would like to own a license. I have some software I bought that I rarely use but 'm glad I have them for the times I want to use them and not have to look at my wallet. I'm still with Photoshop 6 for this very reason. I know I'm missing some new features in CC but v6 gets the job done and I don't have to worry about internet or adding to my monthly bills. That's just me.

Faastwalker

10 Oct 2017

Mistro17 wrote:
10 Oct 2017
I don't have to worry about adding to my monthly bills. That's just me.
It's a consideration. Looking at it as ANOTHER monthly outgoing makes it seem less like something I'd be inclined to jump on board with. Do I really need to add to my monthly & weekly mobile, broadband, prescribed meds, electricity, loan repayments, child support, water, rent, Netflix, car insurance etc, etc, etc.

Renting software is way down the pecking order. It's only $9 a month but so is a lot of the other shit I'm already paying out on a month to month / week to week basis. Saving up & buying outright is certainly preferable to the diatribe of regular & ever numerous outgoings.

Oquasec

10 Oct 2017

400$ for a 2 year subscription doesn't sound bad, if it's an all plugin bundle it could even be as high as 1000$ every 5 years.
Propellerhead...you have essentially made the eastwest of synth plugin suites as well as a kickass digital mpc.

Pay attention what protools did, and tread very carefully. :cool:
Where it's at right now, is pretty much perfect props. Just remember how protools handled that service people mad about and do not do it lol
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

plaamook

11 Oct 2017

I don't really want to rent RE's but it could be useful for a second "try." But at €9 you'd really need to want to try it! I guess you could save them up, I dunno.
Or collabs, that makes sense. Not that iI'm likely to collab w any Reason users, but still.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Faastwalker

11 Oct 2017

The timing seems a little odd as well. With Reason 10 just around the corner I'm focused on that & it's new devices. But maybe this is all about getting new users on board. New / more ways to buy (Propellerhead seem big on 'more, more, more') will appeal to more people? I wonder what the developers make of it? Is it good or bad news for them? Did they get a say in the subscription model? Are they able to opt out?

Psuper

11 Oct 2017

Absolutely not.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

stratatonic

11 Oct 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
11 Oct 2017
The timing seems a little odd as well. With Reason 10 just around the corner I'm focused on that & it's new devices.
I thought that as well. But I suppose that Propellerhead gets more users and eyeballs on their website during upgrade time, so what better way to promote their new subscription model.

Staarchylld

12 Oct 2017

I'm gonna pass on this. I have all the REs that I want at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

demt

12 Oct 2017

Goodbye wrote:
10 Oct 2017

They really should have done rent-to-buy. I think they would have got a lot of respect and support.
bang on regs myself, should be like serum and splice
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

stratatonic

14 Oct 2017

Goodbye wrote:
10 Oct 2017

Judging by the poll, It's a win for Propellerhead. Even a small percentage of the user base forking over at the minimum 9 dollars a month keeps a steady stream of income flowing in.

Personally, I fail to understand the 29 dollar option. 3000 dollars worth of REs to get use of in one month. How can anyone fully utilize that many REs in a 30 day period?

avasopht
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2017

I've thought about it a bit, and right now I'm not interested but who knows, maybe I will try it some day.

I'll be upgrading to R10 and I'm already happy with what I've got. Maybe a FET compressor here and an Ozone maximizer there, ...

I guess it could be a fantastic way to experiment with many different devices and switching between configurations each month. That way I'd most likely be trying out devices I'd never have bothered with otherwise.

electrochoc (PRX-A)

14 Oct 2017

plaamook wrote:
11 Oct 2017
I don't really want to rent RE's but it could be useful for a second "try." But at €9 you'd really need to want to try it! I guess you could save them up, I dunno.
I prefer to buy too, so I also see this a an option to retry some REs. There's a couple of REs I've tried a little too fast, so 9$ to retry 400$ of value of REs is pretty nice.That's three big synths at least!
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

hurricane
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2017

PhutureD wrote:
10 Oct 2017
If one looks at the pattern , most likely subscriptions will be enforced in a few years time, across all software, not just reason, hopefully it takes longer than a few years.
I hate hate HATE subscriptions. This is why I am glad I also use Logic (although you could say having to buy a Mac is something, but you Windows users also have to buy a PC, so...) but I don't think a subscription will ever be in Logic's future because frankly, "Deep Pockets" Apple don't need to do it.

Also to the guy who said something about not getting how to use the $3000 worth of REs - I really don't think Propellerhead had the $9 REs in mind here - I think they're planning on having higher priced REs in the shop. We're talking high end Kontakt library priced REs.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

• Information