POLL: Will you embrace the RE Subscription Model?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try out a RE subscription?

1 - Not remotely interested
51%
2 - Undecided. May try a month out here and there.
32%
3 - Yes. Interested in the 9 plan
14%
4 - Yes. Interested in the 19 plan
2%
5 - Yes. Interested in the 29 plan
1%

Total votes: 232
stratatonic

09 Oct 2017

Will you participate in this new pricing model?

Personally, I'm not that interested, however, I may try out a package for a month and revisit some of the song challenge era songs I worked on and didn't submit as they needed more tweaking, and I,m staring at a bunch of placeholders in those projects.

I could replace those with native instruments as well, so I,m undecided.
Last edited by stratatonic on 10 Oct 2017, edited 2 times in total.

platzangst

09 Oct 2017

It's not for me.

I don't generally like software subscriptions, and in my life I've never had to, say, subscribe to Photoshop or something to do some rare, temporary job that somehow NEEDS to be done in Photoshop. When I plunk money down for a tool, I intend to have that tool at my disposal as long as possible, and not have it be unavailable when I need it - or worse yet, not need it but have the subscription sucking away money because I forgot to cancel it.

That said, I could see how some people, particularly the kind that gripe about impulse-buying REs and then not being able to sell them, might get a benefit from this, seeing as how you can swap out REs down the line. Regret subscribing to that synth? Never use it? Swap it for a distortion effect.

aeox
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2017

Nope.

kuhliloach

09 Oct 2017

There is no substitute for pricing things fairly in the first place so people can just buy it. I am fundamentally against software subscription models.

This concept has helped me acquire a number of wonderful RE's (and iOS apps that can be played digitally into Reason via Studiomux's VST plug-in). I just look out for sales, bundles, nine dollar synths, and game changing iOS apps. Somehow iOS apps are absurdly more affordable than their desktop counterparts.

With free or affordable apps I'm able to have no subscriptions to worry about. For example I stopped using Photoshop or anything by Adobe years ago and keep getting more handy with getpaint.net, GIMP, Krita, Blender, Audacity, and DaVinci Resolve. Anyhow the Rigs are still there... Just lower. ;)

synaptyx

09 Oct 2017

Nope [emoji107]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since Reason 1

joeyluck

09 Oct 2017

Aside from being able to use REs that you like when you don't have the money, I think many people miss the other huge benefits of this, such as:

- Trying a RE you haven't tried in a long time
- Using REs that a collaborator owns
- Using a RE that you might not typically use, but would work great for a very specific project

The value is fantastic. Just looking at the standard package of $9 to use $400 worth of REs for 30 days is awesome.
I mean, your reasoning for each plugin and why you added it inside a package can be any combination of the above.

I like the flexibility of buying or subscribing and am very happy that it is here :)

Hauser+Quaid

09 Oct 2017

Not for me either. I agree w platzangst, I want to buy something and be able to use it indefinitely, allowing for certain upgrade fees throughout the duration. The only production thing I currently subscribe to is Splice, and even with that once you use the credits you've accumulated, you own the rights to use the samples indefinitely.

It's good that the option is there, but it's not for me.

Bobby

09 Oct 2017

I voted $9 plan, but I just upgraded to 9.5 from Reason 4 this month so I still have a ton of demo'ing to do this year.

But for less than Neflix... ?

selig
RE Developer

09 Oct 2017

I don’t get how people are “against” an option to rent - if you don’t need it don’t use it. Why be “against” it?

Has no one ever rented a home, a power tool, a cable box, a car? You don’t NEED to own things to get use of them.

For just about every session I’ve worked on where there was a budget, we rented a studio. We also rented additional outboard gear and microphones. Photographers rent lenses and lights all the time. Beats buying them if you only need them on occasion.

Now before anyone jumps on me, I’ll also say it’s not for me, though I may need it on occasion if I want to work on a song with REs I don’t own (and don’t need). But even though it’s not for me, I’m also not ‘against’ it either!
It’s just not an emotional subject (something I care about one way or another) for me I guess. It’s just another option.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

mfavila

09 Oct 2017

selig wrote:I don’t get how people are “against” an option to rent - if you don’t need it don’t use it. Why be “against” it?

Has no one ever rented a home, a power tool, a cable box, a car? You don’t NEED to own things to get use of them.

For just about every session I’ve worked on where there was a budget, we rented a studio. We also rented additional outboard gear and microphones. Photographers rent lenses and lights all the time. Beats buying them if you only need them on occasion.

Now before anyone jumps on me, I’ll also say it’s not for me, though I may need it on occasion if I want to work on a song with REs I don’t own (and don’t need). But even though it’s not for me, I’m also not ‘against’ it either!
It’s just not an emotional subject (something I care about one way or another) for me I guess. It’s just another option.

Agree, not useful for me personally, but options are always good.

www.atomsapart.com

Exowildebeest

09 Oct 2017

I'm not likely to use it, because the temptation to buy the RE's will become pretty big. I don't like the idea of losing RE's - it's difficult enough with demo's already :)

Pralijah

09 Oct 2017

Very good option to subscribe. €9 would be enough for me atm, have many already. Some RE I want to be able to use now and then, but dont need so often. A few ones I want to re-trial to see if it suite me now. And with low budget, it´s great not having to wait 6-12 months to maybe see a sale on a new device. Now you trial 30 days, then one have to decide and if it cost a lot, I have to wait ´till a sale. Now it´s just to continue using it and if it inspires a lot, sooner or later one will probably buy it on a sale, and choose other new devices in the subsription. Those who can afford and want to own the license right away, still can do so. Win-win situation. This will bring more life into the whole RE development. It is needed now when the gate of VST world is open.
Make music shake again!

jayhosking

09 Oct 2017

Glad this model exists for the users that requested it. I might use it for projects where I need sounds outside of my usual palette, or if collaborating with people who have REs that I don't. But I'm pretty happy with the price and value of existing REs and have purchased most of what I wanted already.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
09 Oct 2017
I don’t get how people are “against” an option to rent - if you don’t need it don’t use it. Why be “against” it?

I think the only thing people (me included) are "against" is the thought that Propellerhead might go with the subscription model as the only option further down the road, particularly with upgrades. You know like this is the first step towards switching to that business model.
Luckily that's not very likely to happen. But I have to say this is the first time I've reacted strongly emotionally to any of Propellerheads decisions because of that initial thought that it might happen in a couple of years ahead.

But as long as it stays just an option I don't think anyone really is against the option for a subscription.
I'm still interested in the developers perspective on this. I made a thread for it but so far no one has posted a comment.

Ahornberg

09 Oct 2017

I would also like to see a rent-to-own option like Splice offers for Serum.

raymondh

09 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
09 Oct 2017

The issue with the house renting analogy, is that you can only revisit your earlier work if you rent the same house.
If the rental cost increases, you are forced to pay it.
Such is the reality with proprietary software and proprietary file formats.

Can (and should) create WAV exports of final tracks of course, but it is nice to revisit and edit old stuff too.

Ahornberg

09 Oct 2017

It's 4 to 8 years (depending on the subscription model) to pay the full price of the rent REs, and then you do not own them.

Zac

09 Oct 2017

It has to be a no from me now that I know you need online sign in to use subscription REs. Quite disappointed actually.

djsmex

09 Oct 2017

I think it's a good option, allowing you to use REs for a period of time for a fraction of the purchase price. Great when you are collaborating or if you want to try out an updated RE after you've used your trial or when you need a RE for a one off project etc. However, I feel it important we keep the purchase option, especially for those of us who have purchased 100s of REs.
Not sure if I personally will be using the subscriptions as I already own over 300 REs but who knows, I may one day need to use a new RE I don't own or want to purchase right away.

ccolon

09 Oct 2017

:thumbs_down: No!

I prefer to buy and have the illusion that I actually own. It might be OK for REs, but please don't even think about using a subscription model for future software updates. That's how I finally abandoned another famous DAW software company I had been using for over 20 years!

jayhosking

09 Oct 2017

Hah. Probably the same one I abandoned.

AttenuationHz

10 Oct 2017

There is good value in it depending on what you choose and how you use it. Though if you use all the devices for over 3.5 years then you might as well have bought them. But who's to say the devices won't be available on sale where you can pick them up for cheap! I don't know the ins and outs of it If it was rent to own then I'd jump on it myself (with paying full price eventually, disappointed it is not). It's a smart move for RE developers they will still be out of pocket somewhat until there is a sale! If it means still supporting developers then it I will probably try a few out now and again. But I'm on the fence about it anyway I would rather own something than continually pay and not own it myself.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

The_G

10 Oct 2017

This gets a big "no" from me. I get why some people might go for a subscription plan--you get a lot for not much outlay. But the subscription model also makes you captive to whatever pricing plan the company decides to offer. And if you can't pay one month? Can't work on all your projects that rely on rented stuff.

The worst aspect, for me, is that if subscription models succeed, many companies decide to abandon sales. Look at Adobe. If you want Creative Suite, you have to pay their exorbitant monthly fees. So I'm against it in principle as well.

(Also online only = bad for people who live/work in areas of uncertain wifi connectivity.)

But that's just me. To each their own.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

Kaosis

10 Oct 2017

I like the way they did it. Not a fan of subscriptions personally, but with the way my schedule works I miss a lot of the trial time and this will work out nicely to properly try out some REs. The must haves will still get bought in the end Opening up room in the sun for more extended trails.

At 9 bucks a month it would take 3.5 years to equal the $400 you get. And you’re not stuck with a bunch of REs you may only use a couple times before shelving.

scratchnsnifff

10 Oct 2017

I probably will get a entry level at some point, but it’l have to be when so many REs come out at once that I can’t afford them all :p I have all the instruments I want from the shop :D but if I’m lackinf anywhere it’s in the compressor department but Iv just been using trash2. I can see the bundle having it’s use at some point I suppose, just wish this Happened a year or so ago
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

• Information