POLL: Will you embrace the RE Subscription Model?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try out a RE subscription?

1 - Not remotely interested
51%
2 - Undecided. May try a month out here and there.
32%
3 - Yes. Interested in the 9 plan
14%
4 - Yes. Interested in the 19 plan
2%
5 - Yes. Interested in the 29 plan
1%

Total votes: 232
joeyluck

14 Oct 2017

hurricane wrote:
14 Oct 2017
PhutureD wrote:
10 Oct 2017
If one looks at the pattern , most likely subscriptions will be enforced in a few years time, across all software, not just reason, hopefully it takes longer than a few years.
I hate hate HATE subscriptions. This is why I am glad I also use Logic (although you could say having to buy a Mac is something, but you Windows users also have to buy a PC, so...) but I don't think a subscription will ever be in Logic's future because frankly, "Deep Pockets" Apple don't need to do it.

Also to the guy who said something about not getting how to use the $3000 worth of REs - I really don't think Propellerhead had the $9 REs in mind here - I think they're planning on having higher priced REs in the shop. We're talking high end Kontakt library priced REs.
Apple... as in the same Apple that has subscriptions for iTunes? It is because it's smart business or because they need to do it?

They don't have a store for selling plugins for Logic, so I guess that would have to come first before they offered subscriptions to plugins...

hurricane
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2017

Well iTunes is obviously different, but yeah they don't need to do it for Logic because #1 they don't SELL plugins, and #2 they give us all the plugins they make for free : )
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

plaamook

15 Oct 2017

electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:
14 Oct 2017
plaamook wrote:
11 Oct 2017
I don't really want to rent RE's but it could be useful for a second "try." But at €9 you'd really need to want to try it! I guess you could save them up, I dunno.
I prefer to buy too, so I also see this a an option to retry some REs. There's a couple of REs I've tried a little too fast, so 9$ to retry 400$ of value of REs is pretty nice.That's three big synths at least!
I'm not that promiscuous. I pretty much just want to retry 4 Dyne. €9 for that?...
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Goodbye

15 Oct 2017

stratatonic wrote:
14 Oct 2017
Goodbye wrote:
10 Oct 2017
It was potentially interesting, but the online-only aspect kills it for me.

They really should have done rent-to-buy. I think they would have got a lot of respect and support.
Judging by the poll, It's a win for Propellerhead. Even a small percentage of the user base forking over at the minimum 9 dollars a month keeps a steady stream of income flowing in.

Personally, I fail to understand the 29 dollar option. 3000 dollars worth of REs to get use of in one month. How can anyone fully utilize that many REs in a 30 day period?
16% of people definitely interested is a 'win'?

jlgrimes

16 Oct 2017

It is not for me.

Only subscriptions I'm in are Sound on Sound (which expired) and ADSRcourses.com (because they do have cool tutorials).

I was interested in Complete Composers at one time but they changed their model to subscription only (or at least seem to heavily promote that option). They pretty much lost a sale on that.

That said I can see why some folks would desire it. I know you probably spend more money just buying the REs but at the same time you are picking exactly what you want (which might not be a lot).

I am not interested in paying for elongated "trials" neither after a RE has been better developed. Props probably should just bite the bullet and allow people to trial a RE after either so many years or major releases as opinions can change.

I think though I would have been more interested if they allowed you to use the REs in an offline state. Not everybody use their PCs on the internet (or travel a lot and don't use internet), so they missed a lot of users who probably would have loved an idea like that. (Hopefully they will change that in the future).

avasopht
Competition Winner

16 Oct 2017

Goodbye wrote:
15 Oct 2017
16% is more than a win. So much of a win I'm confident it's not representative of the whole userbase of Reason, and we'll probably find far fewer people are likely to adopt subscriptions than that.

Even the $9 subscription requires an additional commitment of $108/yr on top of regular Reason upgrades.

What would be clever is if Propellerhead gave free Reason upgrades for the $29/mo package.

$9 is in impulse buy territory so maybe 16% isn't so unrealistic, but that would mean Propellerhead has hit the jackpot.

DJDark2010

16 Oct 2017

I asked months ago for renting some RE´s. I think it was late april or so ... And I post them a picture, on how to implement it to their shop.
I didn´t mind, that they implement it in that way. But its a way better than the idea I had. With my idea, you could rent only a single instrument or effect for about 10 bucks ...
But now you can have much more for less ... I like how they done it.
Take it as a reason, to test instruments as long as you want. If you like them ... you can always buy them.

spikey

16 Oct 2017

Looks overwhelmingly "NO" to me...

Majestik Monkey

17 Oct 2017

Not for me !

it feels to much like buying a Re Trial :

stratatonic

17 Oct 2017

Goodbye wrote:
15 Oct 2017
stratatonic wrote:
14 Oct 2017

Judging by the poll, It's a win for Propellerhead. Even a small percentage of the user base forking over at the minimum 9 dollars a month keeps a steady stream of income flowing in.

Personally, I fail to understand the 29 dollar option. 3000 dollars worth of REs to get use of in one month. How can anyone fully utilize that many REs in a 30 day period?
I don't think 16% of the total user base will do it. Forum numbers are always skewed positive.

Maybe a quarter of that - 4%. With a user base of 100 000 - going by Facebook likes - and doing the bare minimum 9 dollar deal is over $400k a year. Maybe its half that? 200 000 dollars. Maybe half again? 100 000?

And that's not counting the random users that may do a month here and there. (throw that cheapskate stratatonic in there as well )

PURE SPECULATION of course. Nobody here knows for sure what the actual user base is and how much they will shell out. Propellerhead will make money - the shop infrastructure is already in place. Any additional revenue coming in is a win.

AND OF COURSE, I think we have all come to expect that there are SOME workflow enhancements in every upgrade.

AND OF COURSE, I think we have all come to expect that there are SOME workflow enhancements in every upgrade.

Last edited by stratatonic on 17 Oct 2017, edited 2 times in total.

joeyluck

17 Oct 2017

stratatonic wrote:
17 Oct 2017
Goodbye wrote:
15 Oct 2017

Forum numbers are always skewed positive.
Oh how we wish :puf_smile:

I find that the outside world who is less interested in joining a forum to talk about a product, are actually more accepting. So for all we know, that number could be higher.

Those who join a forum do so because they are enthusiastic about the topic. But enthusiasm doesn't always equate to positivity. I think we have a large enough pool here to get some reasonably close statistics.

It can also be hard gauge for sure. For instance, more people outside of ReasonTalk might be more excited about R10 than that of ReasonTalk users.

moneykube

17 Oct 2017

:o 4818 posts... :!: :!: :mrgreen: you have been busy :puf_smile:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

stratatonic

17 Oct 2017

joeyluck wrote:
17 Oct 2017
stratatonic wrote:
17 Oct 2017

Forum numbers are always skewed positive.

I find that the outside world who is less interested in joining a forum to talk about a product, are actually more accepting. So for all we know, that number could be higher.

Those who join a forum do so because they are enthusiastic about the topic. But enthusiasm doesn't always equate to positivity. I think we have a large enough pool here to get some reasonably close statistics.
OK. Using the poll figures Propellerhead would generate at least $1 600 000 million yearly. And that's not counting the occasional monthly purchaser.

Last edited by stratatonic on 17 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

17 Oct 2017

stratatonic wrote:
17 Oct 2017
joeyluck wrote:
17 Oct 2017

OK. Using the poll figures Propellerhead would generate at least $1 600 000 million yearly. And that's not counting the occasional monthly purchaser.
Sound pretty good! :D

FWIW, the poll can be a bit misleading in it's entries if you are trying to calculate total revenue for the year (aside from assuming the number of Reason users out there).

For instance, I voted that I was interested in the $9 plan. And I am now using a $9 plan. I would have said "A month here and there," but that answer doesn't represent me because it is "Undecided. May try a month out here and there." And I am definitely decided on using the service and using the $9 plan here and there :puf_smile:

stratatonic

17 Oct 2017

joeyluck wrote:
17 Oct 2017
And I am now using a $9 plan.
So a question to a first adopter:

Do you have to be online ALL THE TIME while you are using the REs in your package - like, is REASON pinging to the servers while you are working?

Or can you set up online, download your REs and then go OFFLINE after initial setup?

joeyluck

18 Oct 2017

stratatonic wrote:
17 Oct 2017
joeyluck wrote:
17 Oct 2017
And I am now using a $9 plan.
So a question to a first adopter:

Do you have to be online ALL THE TIME while you are using the REs in your package - like, is REASON pinging to the servers while you are working?

Or can you set up online, download your REs and then go OFFLINE after initial setup?
Well they work just like trials if that's what you are asking. You don't have to download them more than once. When your subscription expires, they remain on your computer unless you remove them from the Authorizer. All you have to do then is renew your subscription (unless the RE has received an update that you want to download). You do have to use online authorization each time you startup Reason if you want to use those REs.

I don't know if you have to be online all the time. I'm on a MacBook Air and I'm never without a connection wherever I work. But if I've ever did lose connection, it hasn't affected my sessions. I guess I don't pay attention to that and haven't had issues.

I think whatever answer you are after, you can test with trial licenses. Pretty sure they work just about the same.

jam-s

20 Oct 2017

I think the subs can be useful for re-trials, project work or collaboration. Rent-to-own could be a nice addition as well, but before I'd be much more interested in a "complete my bundle" feature.

FLVZ

23 Apr 2018

Anybody know how to cancel the subscription? I can't seem to find the option anywhere!

Electric-Metal

23 Apr 2018

Flavolous wrote:
23 Apr 2018
Anybody know how to cancel the subscription? I can't seem to find the option anywhere!

https://www.propellerheads.se/support/s ... subscribe/

Hope this helps.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

FLVZ

24 Apr 2018

Electric-Metal wrote:
23 Apr 2018
Flavolous wrote:
23 Apr 2018

https://www.propellerheads.se/support/s ... subscribe/

Hope this helps.
Thanks, I was having real difficulty accessing that page. The link I was using kept sending me back to my account overview, it seems searching "cancel subscription" is not that useful as opposed to "unsubscribe"

• Information