Apply audio groove to MIDI? Best way to do this in Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
bhuether

09 Oct 2017

I am new to Reason. Been using Reaper, but I can't figure out how to do what I need in Reaper, so thought I would try it in Reason.

I have an audio file with a drum groove. I created a MIDI file manually that corresponds to the audio file. The MIDI file is quantized to 16th notes. Of course the audio file has a certain groove and I am trying to get the MIDI file I created to groove the way the audio does.

So, I followed what is shown here:

But I can't see the effect. Now the difference in the audio is fairly slight, like some notes being offset by 32nd notes or slightly more in time. So maybe my ears just aren't detecting the groove being applied upon playback. Ideally, I would like to have the groove applied and for the MIDI file to be altered accordingly, so that I can play back the MIDI file outside reason and see that the MIDI notes have been re quantized according to the audio groove.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Brian

RandyEspoda

09 Oct 2017

What's shown in the video only works when you use REX files, cause they have the slices that hold the 'groove' in their consecutive parts.

In reason though you just rightclick the audio file and bounce to midi. Then use those midi notes to apply to whatever instrument you want.

RandyEspoda

09 Oct 2017

O well now I've actually seen the video, it should work perfectly like it is explained. Did you enable the User1 regroove channel ?

Iggster

10 Oct 2017

Have you tried the Audio to CV RE?

I haven't tried it myself but may be just what you're looking for!

Ahornberg

10 Oct 2017

In the dropdown menu where you select the groove there's "Commit to Groove" this moves the MIDI notes.

djsmex

10 Oct 2017

Some audio files may need a little tweeking to get the rex slices in the right places, you can do this directly within reason 9 and you also have a groove amount you can adjust to apply more/less of the groove.

• Information