Updating the Reason Browser

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Billy+

Post 03 Oct 2021

stratatonic wrote:
01 Oct 2021

:puf_smile: It's OCTOBER ! ! :puf_smile:

Where Is that Browser Update?

Midi Preview as well would make for a decent R12 Browser Update! :)
I would guess that the update will be closer to the end of the month rather than the beginning especially as the latest update was only released a few days ago.
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
What MIDI tools are you itching to use

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

EnochLight

Post 04 Oct 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
03 Oct 2021
Never noticed the Alt+click on the waveform to open the (still old and modal window.... sigh) sample editor. It doesn't work on Kong, though, which is a pity.
Huh? Works fine in Kong when holding down ALT+click over the sample button:

Win 10 | Reason 12 |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oper-8

Post 04 Oct 2021

I hadn't tried the NN-Nano (it's a bit useless there since there's the "Edit sample" button) - I had only tried the "main" sample area, under the pitch and mod wheels. It doesn't work in that area, unless you first Alt+click a sample in the NN-Nano. Weird !
And their shortcuts are weird anyway, since you get Alt+click on the Waveform knob, but you don't have any "Edit sample" in the pop-up menu if you rght-click that same Waveform knob...
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

EnochLight

Post 04 Oct 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
04 Oct 2021
I hadn't tried the NN-Nano (it's a bit useless there since there's the "Edit sample" button) - I had only tried the "main" sample area, under the pitch and mod wheels. It doesn't work in that area, unless you first Alt+click a sample in the NN-Nano. Weird !
And their shortcuts are weird anyway, since you get Alt+click on the Waveform knob, but you don't have any "Edit sample" in the pop-up menu if you rght-click that same Waveform knob...
It works fine there - if an actual sample is loaded and it's selected. It won't do anything if you have a pad selected that doesn't have an NN-Nano with a sample loaded in it, though (nor should you expect it to). NN-Nano can have multiple layers, so it makes sense that you would need to actually select the sample you want to edit first (and there's no need to ALT+click the sample to select it).

Personally I don't feel it's useless, as ALT+Clicking on all of Reason's other sampler buttons is exactly how you call the editor modal window up, so it makes sense from a workflow standpoint to allow this on Kong's NN-Nano, IMHO. Not all of Reason's samplers have a Sample Edit button, so a unified way of getting to the editor is smart, IMHO.

Win 10 | Reason 12 |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oper-8

Post 12 Oct 2021

Is it just me, or previewing REX files always skips the very first slice ? It does that all the time, whether the song is playing or not, whether there's a ReGroove pattern active or not, and from a template as well as in a fresh new empty song. The REX files are clean : the bug happens on custom files as well as those from the FSB, and the first slice will play fine if I expand the file in the browser and play slices one after the other.

(I didn't feel it did need a new topic, so I'm just briefly hijacking this one, sorry !)
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

AttenuationHz

Post 15 Oct 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
12 Oct 2021
Is it just me, or previewing REX files always skips the very first slice ? It does that all the time, whether the song is playing or not, whether there's a ReGroove pattern active or not, and from a template as well as in a fresh new empty song. The REX files are clean : the bug happens on custom files as well as those from the FSB, and the first slice will play fine if I expand the file in the browser and play slices one after the other.

(I didn't feel it did need a new topic, so I'm just briefly hijacking this one, sorry !)
Yes it's skipping slices for me also. It can skip more than 1 slice though.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

plaamook

Post Yesterday

Is it just me or is the new really spiffing browser pretty much the same as the old one but slower?
I dont use the search function cause I’m really organised but all I’ve noticed is that I’ve had to rebuild all my favs folders because the ones from R11 can’t be edited at all in R12 and this indexing shenanigans takes that little bit longer.
Am I missing something?
You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial

Ottostrom

Post Yesterday

plaamook wrote:
Yesterday
Is it just me or is the new really spiffing browser pretty much the same as the old one but slower?
I dont use the search function cause I’m really organised but all I’ve noticed is that I’ve had to rebuild all my favs folders because the ones from R11 can’t be edited at all in R12 and this indexing shenanigans takes that little bit longer.
Am I missing something?
Nope that is basically it. Rex files play in sync with the project tempo if the song is playing which is nice, but if you don't get any use of the new search function then it is just the same as before but slower. Very ironic how the marketing was "blazing fast new browser".

plaamook

Post Yesterday

Ottostrom wrote:
Yesterday
plaamook wrote:
Yesterday
Am I missing something?
Nope that is basically it. Rex files play in sync with the project tempo if the song is playing which is nice, but if you don't get any use of the new search function then it is just the same as before but slower. Very ironic how the marketing was "blazing fast new browser".
Ok thanks.
Usually it's just me!
You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial

AttenuationHz

Post Yesterday

plaamook wrote:
Yesterday
Am I missing something?
If it is falling back on that old search opening folders and .favo list (loading bar every time you reopen reason) it means the indexing is not working as it should, when indexing is working it opens locations extremely quick and searching everywhere is responsive. I spent about 4-5 days trying to investigate what might be causing it and came to the conclusion that it is based on either large locations (1 to 100gb and over), duplicated refills, or corrupt data or bad samples in the folders, I've no idea what the cause is though. Mine is working well at the moment and opens quick after moving some older refills out of indexed folders and rebuilding the index. The index file appears to write then delete the data constantly when the bug occurs. If your index file is doing this or has done this I'd recommend rebuilding it if you condensed your lists. The old indexed data will still be in the index file. Once you delete the index file it will rebuild when you start reason again. The file should be named __ReasonIndex_v4.dat found in these locations:

macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Reason/Plugin Screenshots
Windows: %AppData%\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason

It will rebuild as soon as it opens, if it takes a long time to build there is something causing it to write and delete data simultaneously, the only way to tell for sure if it is doing this is to rebuild fully and when finished it will be increasing/decreasing by about 4bits every second or so, if it is building by about 4 bits per/second it means something is fucky. Building the index should be quick enough, depending on how much data there is in your lists it should take between 20 - 30 mins (based on my data that was about 200gb). After I removed large locations from my lists I added them back in manually after rebuilding and observed how quick it would be added to the index, sometimes you have to open the folder you added to initialise indexing though. If you have no large locations and observe the index cache not increasing make a backup of the file it will save time if you are going the trial and error route to find what folders or locations cause the slow indexing read/write. If it is continuously writing it has a very hard time reading the index.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

• Information