Updating the Reason Browser

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
Heigen5
Posts: 1205
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Location: Finland / Suomi

Post 22 Oct 2021

EnochLight wrote:
22 Oct 2021
Heigen5 wrote:
22 Oct 2021


It's true though, I introduced it about 5-6 years ago here on the RT forums, but also on the RH-forums: https://www.reasonheads.com/forum/viewt ... f=38&t=119
I seriously thought you were joking. ;) Err... we've been asking for faster search, indexing, and "instant search" (ala various popular search engine's predictive text), among other things (like tags) for well over 10 years, if not longer. Sorry man - you weren't the first to request this, and certainly didn't come up with the idea. :thumbup:
Wow, it hitted you so hard that I was the main guy for it, ok. But seriously taken, even the sales man speech i.e. indexing came from me. But I'm like the no.1 all the time suggester anyway.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7518
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 22 Oct 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
22 Oct 2021
Wow, it hitted you so hard that I was the main guy for it, ok. But seriously taken, even the sales man speech i.e. indexing came from me. But I'm like the no.1 all the time suggester anyway.
I mean, it didn't hit me hard at all. That's why I posted 3 laughing emojis, as I thought you were joking. It was funny. But I now I see you actually believe what you're writing, so.. have fun with that.
Win 10 | Abelton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Sumsung 870 QVO 2 TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 1828
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 22 Oct 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
22 Oct 2021
It's a honor that the smart-search was based on me and my ideas. I introduced the indexing, that caused at least 20-40% more faster search. A great feature again by me.
I think you rather were one of the many people who suggested an indexed search for years.
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace. ... Pool's closed due to corona.

User avatar
Heigen5
Posts: 1205
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Location: Finland / Suomi

Post 22 Oct 2021

jam-s wrote:
22 Oct 2021
Heigen5 wrote:
22 Oct 2021
It's a honor that the smart-search was based on me and my ideas. I introduced the indexing, that caused at least 20-40% more faster search. A great feature again by me.
I think you rather were one of the many people who suggested an indexed search for years.
Before, nobody called it indexed search before me. I also always presented how to get there.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7518
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 22 Oct 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
22 Oct 2021
Before, nobody called it indexed search before me. I also always presented how to get there.
Sorry buddy, we've been talking about Reason search indexing for well over a decade. Maybe you're new though? More than 3 years before you even joined Reasontalk, I was talking about indexing here:

viewtopic.php?p=21916#p21916

It doesn't mean I invented it, like you're suggesting you did. We've all been asking for stuff like this for years.
Win 10 | Abelton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Sumsung 870 QVO 2 TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
Heigen5
Posts: 1205
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Location: Finland / Suomi

Post 22 Oct 2021

EnochLight wrote:
22 Oct 2021
Heigen5 wrote:
22 Oct 2021
Before, nobody called it indexed search before me. I also always presented how to get there.
Sorry buddy, we've been talking about Reason search indexing for well over a decade. Maybe you're new though?
Maybe it's you who didn't have a link for it unlike me?

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7518
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 22 Oct 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
22 Oct 2021
Maybe it's you who didn't have a link for it unlike me?
LMAO... sure: viewtopic.php?p=581462#p581462
Win 10 | Abelton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Sumsung 870 QVO 2 TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
Heigen5
Posts: 1205
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Location: Finland / Suomi

Post 22 Oct 2021

But yeah, I've always being a yum yum suggester for the Props. In Estonia they'd already hired me for all these.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7518
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 22 Oct 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
22 Oct 2021
But yeah, I've always being a yum yum suggester for the Props. In Estonia they'd already hired me for all these.
So you see that we've been talking about this for years before you, and you didn't come up with it alone. Great! :thumbup: Keep up with the suggestions, though - it's always good to post those.
Win 10 | Abelton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Sumsung 870 QVO 2 TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
Heigen5
Posts: 1205
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Location: Finland / Suomi

Post 22 Oct 2021

EnochLight wrote:
22 Oct 2021
Heigen5 wrote:
22 Oct 2021
But yeah, I've always being a yum yum suggester for the Props. In Estonia they'd already hired me for all these.
So you see that we've been talking about this for years before you, and you didn't come up with it alone. Great! :thumbup: Keep up with the suggestions, though - it's always good to post those.
The suggestion needs to have a formula that only needs to get developed by the Props. If you say faster, only, you didn't suggest anything valuable in there yet.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7518
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 22 Oct 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
22 Oct 2021
The suggestion needs to have a formula that only needs to get developed by the Props. If you say faster, only, you didn't suggest anything valuable in there yet.
Whatever makes you sleep better, friend.
Win 10 | Abelton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Sumsung 870 QVO 2 TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 1828
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 22 Oct 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
22 Oct 2021
jam-s wrote:
22 Oct 2021


I think you rather were one of the many people who suggested an indexed search for years.
Before, nobody called it indexed search before me. I also always presented how to get there.
I think, the IT pioneers from the 60s or 70s want to have a word with you on that bold statement.
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace. ... Pool's closed due to corona.

User avatar
Zerosity
Posts: 119
Joined: 18 Jun 2015

Post 22 Oct 2021

Melvil Dewey says hello.

User avatar
AttenuationHz
Posts: 2052
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Back of the Rack-1

Post 23 Oct 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
22 Oct 2021
AttenuationHz wrote:
22 Oct 2021


Well there is a little more to it than just deleting and rebuilding. If the issue is still present after deleting the index and reason rebuilds it then logical conclusion is that there is something in your lists making it perform slower than its designed speed. So in order find out what that is you have go back to the basic list by removing things and rebuilding, namely large locations. When you start adding things back in and the issue occurs again, then the logical conclusion is whatever is put back in is what is causing the issue, you can and have to narrow it down to what is causing it to perform slow, it is just basic troubleshooting of the problem but it can take time to do so because once the index is corrupted you have to rebuild it without that folder or thing you added.
I don't know if you're trying to be helpful or condescending but I'll add some more info. The problem goes away after deleting the index and letting it rebuilt. I can restart Reason and the problem is still gone, so there were no more "logical conclusions" to make other than to expect that this was a suitable fix.. Its only now after rebooting my whole computer that the problem has returned.
Do you think what I've posted is a solution in search of a problem, or a problem in search of a solution.

What happens if you make a backup when no issue occurs, set the backup to read-only and restore/replace it after a reboot.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

User avatar
Re8et
Posts: 1055
Joined: 14 Nov 2016

Post 23 Oct 2021

+1, even if I don't see an immediate benefit from it, it may still be helpful in the future.
If this was memory killer, it would be wiser to add an option to disable it, so light CPU computers
are not crippled.

User avatar
Oper-8
Posts: 69
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Location: France

Post 23 Oct 2021

Thanks for the tip about rebuilding the cache. It seems to be faster on the folders I had issues with. I'll have to check how it's going upon rebooting my computer, though, but for now it seems to work fine.
Thanks again !
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 2038
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: Abajo del mar...

Post 23 Oct 2021

I don’t have anything called __ReasonIndex_v4.dat in those locations.
Any idea why that would be?

OS X Mojave
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial

User avatar
artmessiah
Posts: 64
Joined: 22 Apr 2017
Location: Virginia Beach

Post 23 Oct 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
16 Oct 2021
If it is falling back on that old search opening folders and .favo list (loading bar every time you reopen reason) it means the indexing is not working as it should, when indexing is working it opens locations extremely quick and searching everywhere is responsive. I spent about 4-5 days trying to investigate what might be causing it and came to the conclusion that it is based on either large locations (1 to 100gb and over), duplicated refills, or corrupt data or bad samples in the folders, I've no idea what the cause is though. Mine is working well at the moment and opens quick after moving some older refills out of indexed folders and rebuilding the index. The index file appears to write then delete the data constantly when the bug occurs. If your index file is doing this or has done this I'd recommend rebuilding it if you condensed your lists. The old indexed data will still be in the index file. Once you delete the index file it will rebuild when you start reason again. The file should be named __ReasonIndex_v4.dat found in these locations:

macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Reason/Plugin Screenshots
Windows: %AppData%\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason

It will rebuild as soon as it opens, if it takes a long time to build there is something causing it to write and delete data simultaneously, the only way to tell for sure if it is doing this is to rebuild fully and when finished it will be increasing/decreasing by about 4bits every second or so, if it is building by about 4 bits per/second it means something is fucky. Building the index should be quick enough, depending on how much data there is in your lists it should take between 20 - 30 mins (based on my data that was about 200gb). After I removed large locations from my lists I added them back in manually after rebuilding and observed how quick it would be added to the index, sometimes you have to open the folder you added to initialise indexing though. If you have no large locations and observe the index cache not increasing make a backup of the file it will save time if you are going the trial and error route to find what folders or locations cause the slow indexing read/write. If it is continuously writing it has a very hard time reading the index.
This fixed my indexing problem. Thank you!

kbard
Posts: 121
Joined: 05 Jun 2021

Post 24 Oct 2021

Whatever they do to the "updated" browser I just hope they won't change workflow of it. It is perfect.

I am more worried that they are updating that - then anything else. As much as funny this is sounding Reason Browser was key factor of me jumping into Reason realm altogether.

Also isn't it a bit weird that they are focusing on a browser when historically if you read this thread - no one ever requested changes or updates to it.

User avatar
AttenuationHz
Posts: 2052
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Back of the Rack-1

Post 24 Oct 2021

plaamook wrote:
23 Oct 2021
I don’t have anything called __ReasonIndex_v4.dat in those locations.
Any idea why that would be?

OS X Mojave
Not too sure about the mac location, could be elsewhere, could be called something else or have a different extension on mac. I assume it would be in the same location as VST screenshots like Windows.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7518
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 24 Oct 2021

kbard wrote:
24 Oct 2021
Also isn't it a bit weird that they are focusing on a browser when historically if you read this thread - no one ever requested changes or updates to it.
You may not see many people saying they ever requested changes or updates to the browser in this thread, but we’ve been asking for changes and updates ever since Reason 8 introduced the redesign. We’ve been asking for instant search, indexing, and most importantly - tags and other ways of categorizing, that most of us have gone blue in the face. We’ve also asked to be able to detach the browser - having it locked to Reason has always been a pain. Since day 1 we’ve asked for samples and audio to be in-sync with the project BPM (glad they at least *FINALLY* fixed REX preview in that regard).

I’m not sure what you mean by “workflow”, though. Can you explain? Aside from dragging and dropping and Favorites, there’s nothing particular unique about it IMHO.
Win 10 | Abelton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Sumsung 870 QVO 2 TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 2038
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: Abajo del mar...

Post 24 Oct 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
24 Oct 2021
plaamook wrote:
23 Oct 2021
I don’t have anything called __ReasonIndex_v4.dat in those locations.
Any idea why that would be?

OS X Mojave
Not too sure about the mac location, could be elsewhere, could be called something else or have a different extension on mac. I assume it would be in the same location as VST screenshots like Windows.
I looked again and it's in caches folder.
Yepo. That smothes things out a bit don't it.
Cheers dude.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial

kbard
Posts: 121
Joined: 05 Jun 2021

Post 25 Oct 2021

EnochLight wrote:
24 Oct 2021
I’m not sure what you mean by “workflow”, though. Can you explain? Aside from dragging and dropping and Favorites, there’s nothing particular unique about it IMHO.
What's there to explain with so simple yet not simple thing let me see (please forgive me my english is not first language). A drag and drop to a DAW is all it need + basic customization (which it have now).

Try working with Ableton browser then and let me know how you feel. Or go to their forum and see how they feel. Have you tried Cubase browser?

You may not see anything particular and unique until you tart working with other browsers.

1. Ableton browser has maximum of 7 custom favorites and you CAN NOT name them. You need to remember color. Ok noone want impractical super long list of favorites but...I have more then 8 and I name my favorites based on their purpose. Example, BUS processing, Trcack utils, Sequencers etc.etc. Ableton can not do that with favorites - you can not name them. I am speaking about favorites not folder names.

2. Ableton browser can not see FXP or FXB preset format in folders (Reason can). Try if you don't belive me. Save FXP in a folder and then visit it with Ableton browser. You can not drag and drop FXP in Ableton as you can in Reason. This is a big bummer for me as I save FXP to be able to exchange presets between DAWs when clients visit me. UAD for example and many other plugins still uses FXP. In fact when saving presets in VST format inside Ableton, Ableton is only saving them as FXP or FXB but their browser can not see such formats in folders. How silly is that?

3. Cubase browser is pushing their own format
4. Cubase browser while it can do a lot is overbloated.

I think I could name a more of these but it's morning here. Trust me when I say Reason browser, for me is perfect level of balance and customization. Whatever they do I hope they don't change it. I have never seen significant request to improve browser. Sure caching/indexing is nice if done properly. I am not against that. I just don't want them to change workflow of it.

User avatar
lowtom
Posts: 179
Joined: 29 Sep 2017

Post 25 Oct 2021

kbard wrote:
25 Oct 2021

1. Ableton browser has maximum of 7 custom favorites and you CAN NOT name them. You need to remember color.
You can rename them. I custom named mine, together with colour codes. You can also add whatever folder and as much as you like into your list of custom locations like in Reason browser.


But back to Reason browser missing features:
1. You can't rename files directly.
2. You can't delete or move files directly.
3. You can't have acces to the inside of a song file to dissect instruments, sequences or fx chains.
4. There is no user default preset system for devices available in Reason - only build in ones.
5. You can't configure drag and drop to default device for audio files - Reason just drops it into Audio Track.
6. There are no sound previews for presets, only for audio samples/Rex files.


IMO, there is nothing special in Reason browser that others do not have, appart from big thumbnails of devices.
If there is indexing and caching system in place, RS need to also add tags system. I like how you can tag things in Maschine browser.
:reason: :refill: :re:

kbard
Posts: 121
Joined: 05 Jun 2021

Post 25 Oct 2021

lowtom wrote:
25 Oct 2021

IMO, there is nothing special in Reason browser that others do not have, appart from big thumbnails of devices.
Ok Ableton can rename favorites. Still I use 14 of them. Not 7. Which is a limit of Ableton.

But tell me if there's nothing different how can I load FXP preset from Ableton browser? You can't do that. So is this same situation or different?

And I am not into loading VST, saving it as a Ableton format and then loading it. Like some of the people suggested here:

I am asking how can you load FXP preset directly from the browser? You can not! In Reason you can.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], WaxTrax and 2 guests