Reason 9.5 Midi clock sync with Roland System-1m

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
fotizimo

03 Oct 2017

I have recently added a Roland System-1m to my kit, and am finding I am unable to sync the tempo of the device with Reason, and thought I would ask around here and see if these kinds of issues are known around here.

So the System-1m offers two options for connectivity, a USB cable, as well as plan-old-midi, and regardless of choice of these two, I cannot seem to get the tempo of the two devices to speak to each other.

I have confirmed that the System-1m is set to receive midi clock and that reason is sending to that device, but it doesn't seem to work. As far as I can tell, all other midi functions are working correctly regardless of which cable I connect with. I have tried making the System-1m the master as well Reason, and neither options seems to sync the tempo values. I have tried loopmidi to ensure midi data is being sent.

Anyone come across this type of issue before?

Reason v9.5
Windows10
System-1m v1.3
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

ebbhead

03 Oct 2017

Under 'Options' / 'Sync' - check that 'Send MIDI clock' is ticked

fotizimo

03 Oct 2017

ebbhead wrote:
03 Oct 2017
Under 'Options' / 'Sync' - check that 'Send MIDI clock' is ticked
Thanks, but I have confirmed this is set. I have tried every setting under this Option tab, including sending clock, and receiving clock to an from the System-1m, but can't seem to get this to work.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini

ebbhead

03 Oct 2017

How about under 'Preferences' / 'Sync' ? - have you set the MIDI sync output port?

ebbhead

03 Oct 2017

...and on the System-1m make sure that MIDI clock source is set to 'Auto' (hold down the 'WRITE' button, press 'LFO KEY TRIG' - make sure the 'RING' button is lit)

fotizimo

03 Oct 2017

ebbhead wrote:
03 Oct 2017
How about under 'Preferences' / 'Sync' ? - have you set the MIDI sync output port?
This is what I currently have set:
midiout.PNG
midiout.PNG (37.52 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
Fotizimo @ Instagram
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini

fotizimo

03 Oct 2017

ebbhead wrote:
03 Oct 2017
...and on the System-1m make sure that MIDI clock source is set to 'Auto' (hold down the 'WRITE' button, press 'LFO KEY TRIG' - make sure the 'RING' button is lit)
RING, SYNC, and OSC TYPE are all lit as per the manual. I have tried setting System-1m to receive clock and send clock, but nothing seems to change this behaviour.

Just out of curiosity, when Reason is set to be the clock master, and a device like System-1m set to slave, should the two devices be sync'ed in terms of the tempos when i change the tempo in Reason? I ask because all other aspects of the midi comms seem to be working. I can change variables and parameters from within Reason, through the Reason midi instrument and those changes are reflected on the System-1m.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini

ebbhead

03 Oct 2017

I assume you are trying to sync the LFO rate or Delay time on the System-1m with Reason? - sorry to be obvious but is the 'Temp Sync' button on the System-1m lit?

fotizimo

03 Oct 2017

ebbhead wrote:
03 Oct 2017
I assume you are trying to sync the LFO rate or Delay time on the System-1m with Reason? - sorry to be obvious but is the 'Temp Sync' button on the System-1m lit?
yep, it is lit, and no worries about obvious settings. i am assuming i am missing something pretty basic here. So if everything is setup correctly, what might that indicate the problem to be?
Fotizimo @ Instagram
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini

ebbhead

04 Oct 2017

Time for a quick recap - System-1m is all set to receive MIDI clock with 'Temp Sync' active, Reason is sending MIDI clock and we have the output port set correctly - in theory this should all work.

As you have 'Send MIDI clock while sequencer is stopped' checked - if you adjust the tempo in Reason (without Reason running) does the Tempo knob on the System-1m adjust and flash in time? - it should flash on quarter beats of whatever tempo is set - I set my System-1m to MIDI clock from Reason last night and it all works - the only difference I can see is I'm on a Mac and I was connected direct to the System-1m via USB (and it's USB driver).

fotizimo

04 Oct 2017

ebbhead wrote:
04 Oct 2017
Time for a quick recap - System-1m is all set to receive MIDI clock with 'Temp Sync' active, Reason is sending MIDI clock and we have the output port set correctly - in theory this should all work.

As you have 'Send MIDI clock while sequencer is stopped' checked - if you adjust the tempo in Reason (without Reason running) does the Tempo knob on the System-1m adjust and flash in time? - it should flash on quarter beats of whatever tempo is set - I set my System-1m to MIDI clock from Reason last night and it all works - the only difference I can see is I'm on a Mac and I was connected direct to the System-1m via USB (and it's USB driver).
So yep, that about sums this up. System-1m is confirmed to be receiving midi clock, I have tried with both the midi cable (Roland UM-One) as well as the direct connected USB cable. I can confirm that as far as I can tell all other midi or control data is passing. I have installed the System-1 VST and have confirmed that I can send data to and forth from the System-1m through the USB connection. Tempo Sync on the System-1m is lit and functional. I have tried changing tempo both with Reason in the stopped position, and as well while running, and at no point have I seen the System-1m modify the tempo light, nor the LFO rate based on any changes I have made through Reason.

By deduction, that means the problem must be somewhere else, but I trully appreciate you taking the time to go through each of your responses above and helping me "checklist" everything as this is my first external midi connection attempt. Later this afternoon, I am going to see if I can make the same changes to my Korg Volca Keys, and see if it will modify tempo based on clock sourcing from Reason. I have owned the Volca Keys for some time, but never tried to clock it to Reason, as I was using it as a stand-alone instrument.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini

ebbhead

04 Oct 2017

Clutching at straws now but is there a control panel in Windows for the MIDI drivers? - it just sounds like something is blocking / stripping out MIDI clock sync from going anywhere - might be worth a check if such things exist (my knowledge of Windows and music apps is ancient, XP/NT - I went from Roland Micro-composers to Atari to Mac).

fotizimo

04 Oct 2017

Ok, I figured it out, and am almost too embarassed to report back, but I will swallow my pride and plead ignorance as I didn't know there was one further setting which needed to be checked. With a little help from https://ask.audio/articles/sync-korg-vo ... and-reason I learned there is a "sync" settings under the options choices along the top, and I needed to select "send midi clock".

I have confirmed that both my System-1m and my Volcas are syncing clock now. Thanks ebbhead, I really appreciate the help.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini

Heater

04 Oct 2017

fotizimo wrote:
04 Oct 2017
Ok, I figured it out, and am almost too embarassed to report back, but I will swallow my pride and plead ignorance as I didn't know there was one further setting which needed to be checked. With a little help from https://ask.audio/articles/sync-korg-vo ... and-reason I learned there is a "sync" settings under the options choices along the top, and I needed to select "send midi clock".

I have confirmed that both my System-1m and my Volcas are syncing clock now. Thanks ebbhead, I really appreciate the help.
Glad you got it working and I'm happy you reported back with the answer so if someone else has that problem they have the full solution.

ebbhead

04 Oct 2017

No worries - glad it's all sorted, it was beginning to bend my brain a bit.

Hobocop

15 Dec 2017

Currently having this same issue with the System-1 and Reason 10 via USB connection. I have everything set correctly per the checklists in this discussion and even the options>sync>send MIDI clock. But it still doesn't want to send the tempo through to the System-1.... gonna experiment with it some more and will report back if I figure anything out, in case anyone else out there is still stuck like me...

• Information