New to Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
SPWARLOCK

30 Sep 2017

Hi guys Im using Reason 8 and I was wondering if someone can point me towards some decent basic tutorials that walk through the basics of using the program.I checked the tutorials thread but it was mostly in depth techniques and not basic enough for me...just trying to learn how to navigate the program at the moment :)

Electric-Metal

30 Sep 2017

https://www.reasonexperts.com/

Should suite all your needs

BTW Hi :)
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

Loque

30 Sep 2017

Check out this forum and the videos from PH.
viewforum.php?f=5
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

30 Sep 2017

Tab key flips the rack, press it again to flip it back.

When you create an instrument (for example a synth or a sampler) in the rack (press F3 to show/hide the browser - drag and drop something from the instruments section of the browser into the rack), it automatically creates
- a mix channel for that instrument in the mixer, and
- a note lane for that instrument in the sequencer.

You can record midi notes in the instrument's note lane in the sequencer as you play them, or you can draw them in manually.

I remember having a hard time getting my head around how instruments in the rack related to the sequencer.

Some instruments, like ReDrum, have their own built-in sequencer so you can interact with the device itself in the rack to - for instance - make a drum pattern, like a Roland TR808 drum machine. You can press the "RUN" button on the device to play this pattern back, listen to it, and make changes to the pattern as it plays (these devices will automatically RUN when you press play.)

I think that's the main stuff I found confusing at first.

Paul Myrus

30 Sep 2017

This program ran deep, now its even more flexible and deeper with VST's able to be manipulated, like other DAW's cant.

Enjoy the learning and the ride... :puf_bigsmile: It will make any music u want and quickly too.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2017

Maybe not the most fun way to learn, but I gotta say that the help menu usually is pretty useful.

I remember going between reading the manual and looking at youtube clips when I wanted to learn the basics about the stock synths and effects.

On a side note:
A good way to learn is to write down the most important things you learn. Not only can you go back and check your own notes but you typically learn faster when you write things down and use your own words.
Try everything out that you read about also.

brand

01 Oct 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
30 Sep 2017
Maybe not the most fun way to learn, but I gotta say that the help menu usually is pretty useful.

I remember going between reading the manual and looking at youtube clips when I wanted to learn the basics about the stock synths and effects.

On a side note:
A good way to learn is to write down the most important things you learn. Not only can you go back and check your own notes but you typically learn faster when you write things down and use your own words.
Try everything out that you read about also.
Most definitely, +1 on the above, for me. Especially on the notes part. Sometimes, I'll print a few pages of the manual on particular subjects, and make notes on these too. Also, I had not seen that ReasonExperts site. That looks pretty good. As mentioned, there's a ton of resources here, and on PH site too.

I will suggest http://proaudiodvds.com/store/daws/reas ... ng-course/. It's not free, but I've been a big fan of David Wills for a very long time. I got this right away, and loved it. This is for Reason 9, and although I started in 9, I imagine that most of this will be relevant except for the new 9 things of course. He's a great teacher. To me, well worth it. He loves Reason too, and frankly, made me want to use Reason.

EnochLight

01 Oct 2017

SPWARLOCK wrote:
30 Sep 2017
Hi guys Im using Reason 8 and I was wondering if someone can point me towards some decent basic tutorials that walk through the basics of using the program.I checked the tutorials thread but it was mostly in depth techniques and not basic enough for me...just trying to learn how to navigate the program at the moment :)
Propellerhead's own "Basic" video series is perfect for your needs, though some of it will pertain to Reason 9.x as well:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftI-MHBhDV8&lis ... 87CD4601CD
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Aosta

01 Oct 2017

Tend the flame

Goriila Texas

01 Oct 2017

Read the Manual it's pretty thorough?? ;)

Creativemind

02 Oct 2017

Something I saw posted on here that I didn't know. QWERTY changes the tools so you don't have to click them everytime. G and H for quick zoom in/out too.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

EdGrip

02 Oct 2017

Yeah - try and familiarise yourself with a new keyboard shortcut every time you open Reason. There's a keyboard command cheat sheet in the manual. It'll make things much quicker. Print it out, maybe.

Another thing that'll help lots (sorry, I know I keep going on about it) is to buy a gaming mouse with lots of buttons, and assign those buttons to the keyboard shortcuts you use most often - for instance, flip the rack, each of the tools, show mixer/rack/sequencer/browser, play/stop, etc. That way, you'll rarely even need to use the keyboard.

• Information