Europa Shapeshifting Synthesizer (Thread)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
AzureEyes

29 Sep 2017

Blown away by Europa in the livestream but I noticed it didn't have very many factory wavetables which kinda worries me. I hope there's a bit more.

I enjoyed the Livestream. I think Europa has a good sound. The pads alone were very impressive in terms of what you can do. The dynamic wavetables were very cool. "Karplus Strong" emulates a Physical Modeling kind of synthesis almost. Sounds good too. The mod section looks amazing tons of stuff we didn't even get to see either. Leaves a lot of mystery. I loved the spectral filter which can drastically change to sound being generated by the engine's oscillator.

The filters were nice too

Being able to draw your own wavetables, sounds cool and all but I'd love to see them add an import option for guys/gals that have loads of their own. Maybe we'll get that option in the future!

The FX part is nice and can really color your sound.

The envelopes are very well done and can do very interesting motion to the sound. I hope making curves for custom waves isn't too difficult either.

In terms of sound. It's sounds different then Serum, Expanse, Icarus and Falcon.

What are your thoughts on Europa?

I think it's awesome with these things

- Dynamic Wavetables
- Spectral Filter
- Filter Section
- Various Mods
- Custom Shapes using Env3 & Env4
- Dedicated FX section
- Envelopes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by AzureEyes on 29 Sep 2017, edited 3 times in total.

Breach The Sky

29 Sep 2017

It's hard to really judge the sound based on stream audio but what I DID hear sounded awesome! Being a stock device maybe we will hear more of nucleus sound lab level of patches, good news for "preset surfers". I myself like to design from scratch and it looks like you can go really deep while at the same time having a clean and strait forward interface, excellent!

I agree that the dynamic aspect of the wavetables looks interesting. I don't necessarily think a lot of wavetables is needed when you can modify them in so many ways.

deepndark

29 Sep 2017

When sound-designers join this Europa thing - including Dopetank, it'll be awesome!

chimp_spanner

29 Sep 2017

More wavetables sounds nice but I think consider what you can do with even a basic WT like a saw, or pulse running through 2 modifiers + the spectral filter (which is actually adjusting the waveform still further, instead of just filtering the audio). I think there'll probably be enough here to keep us busy for a long time, but of course I would also like to see sample import. Matt did say "not at the moment" a few times so, I feel like it's on the to-do list!

Loque

29 Sep 2017

As they told, you can paint the wave. That is good, but can be fiddly. The sound was promising, we will see our hear...
Here are a few things that should be added :
* decided CV in for the Osc, Filters, Pans
* dedicated CV out would be nice too for envelopes
* bigger mod matrix or more matrix pages like in Nostromo
* audio in for fx, maybe also for a feedback loop to the delay of the delay is worth it
* can't remember if it has a compressor, but i think ppl want to have a side chain in if there is a compressor
* loading a wave table
* loading and saving or at least copy and paste of envelopes
* sync and unsync for oscillators
* hopefully there is a way to phase offset the oscilator
* fm through mod matrix with external audio in or at least a simple fm Modifier
* a additve part, subtractive would be nice to

Well, iam sure all those stuff is too much for the users they aim, so nothing of this will be added. Sigh...
Last edited by Loque on 29 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
29 Sep 2017
As they told, you can paint the wave. That is good, but can be fiddly. The sound was promising, we will see our hear...
* decided CV in for the Osc, Filters, Pans
* audio in for fx, maybe also for a feedback loop to the delay of the delay is worth it
* can't remember if it has a compressor, but i think ppl want to have a side chain in if there is a compressor
* loading a wave table
* fm through mid matrix with external audio on our art lässt a simple fm Modifier

Well, iam sure all those stuff is too much for the users they aim, so nothing of this will be added. Sigh...
Doesn't Expanse have most of the stuff you requested?

Loque

29 Sep 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
29 Sep 2017
Loque wrote:
29 Sep 2017
* dedicated CV in for the Osc, Filters, Pans
* loading a wave table
* fm through mid matrix with external audio on our art lässt a simple fm Modifier

Most of it, except that eXpanse does not have the special audio ins for delay feedback, compressor and fm too and lacks mod matrix slots aswell. Europa has a hard competitor to beat with eXpanse. Lets see, what Europas filter can do. The painting in the display is also a plus.
Reason12, Win10

eXode

29 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
29 Sep 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
29 Sep 2017

Most of it, except that eXpanse does not have the special audio ins for delay feedback, compressor and fm too and lacks mod matrix slots aswell. Europa has a hard competitor to beat with eXpanse. Lets see, what Europas filter can do. The painting in the display is also a plus.
The sidechain input in Expanse is for the compressor as far as I recall. At least that's one thing you can cross off your list. ;)

Loque

29 Sep 2017

eXode wrote:
29 Sep 2017
Loque wrote:
29 Sep 2017

The sidechain input in Expanse is for the compressor as far as I recall. At least that's one thing you can cross off your list. ;)

Damn! Europe will have a hard time to beat eXpanse.
Reason12, Win10

Exowildebeest

29 Sep 2017

Creativemind

29 Sep 2017

What that modifier did to the sound at 19m46s in the Live Stream was well nice. Me likey likey. Lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Faastwalker

29 Sep 2017

Is the the stream available to view online? I didn’t get to watch it live.

swamptooth

29 Sep 2017

am i the only one who tries to click on knobs during these videos?
:crazy:

swamptooth

29 Sep 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
29 Sep 2017
Is the the stream available to view online? I didn’t get to watch it live.
yes on the propellerhead facebook page

kungubu

29 Sep 2017

Europa really seems interesting. But the absence of dedicated cv-ins on the back is really disturbing. It will be a great limitation and it's sad that they don't seem to value that kind of flexibility. Propellerhead's history of updating their synths after launching them says that the Europa we get with R10 is the final version. I'm really looking forward to it, but i fear that the lack of cv-inputs – together with the fact that you can't import wavetables (my experience with drawing your own isn't that great) – will hamper it severely in the future. We'll just have to hope for at least a few more cv-inputs (how hard can it be?) before the final release...

AzureEyes

29 Sep 2017

kungubu wrote:Europa really seems interesting. But the absence of dedicated cv-ins on the back is really disturbing. It will be a great limitation and it's sad that they don't seem to value that kind of flexibility. Propellerhead's history of updating their synths after launching them says that the Europa we get with R10 is the final version. I'm really looking forward to it, but i fear that the lack of cv-inputs – together with the fact that you can't import wavetables (my experience with drawing your own isn't that great) – will hamper it severely in the future. We'll just have to hope for at least a few more cv-inputs (how hard can it be?) before the final release...
I think they plan on adding new things! Wavetable import has to happen though. So many people are asking for it. I mean it shouldn't be a big thing to implement. I just want to use my Serum wavetables with those cool mods and that spectral filter! Hopefully they add it in like 10.1 or something!

kungubu

29 Sep 2017

AzureEyes wrote:
29 Sep 2017
kungubu wrote:Europa really seems interesting. But the absence of dedicated cv-ins on the back is really disturbing. It will be a great limitation and it's sad that they don't seem to value that kind of flexibility. Propellerhead's history of updating their synths after launching them says that the Europa we get with R10 is the final version. I'm really looking forward to it, but i fear that the lack of cv-inputs – together with the fact that you can't import wavetables (my experience with drawing your own isn't that great) – will hamper it severely in the future. We'll just have to hope for at least a few more cv-inputs (how hard can it be?) before the final release...
I think they plan on adding new things! Wavetable import has to happen though. So many people are asking for it. I mean it shouldn't be a big thing to implement. I just want to use my Serum wavetables with those cool mods and that spectral filter! Hopefully they add it in like 10.1 or something!

Problem is the history of PH-rack synths. The final product is final. Subtractor, Malström and Thor – no updates. And it's not because there hasen't been any people asking for updates. The Europa we get in R10 is most certainly the final Europa.

mark999

29 Sep 2017

I watched the live stream and Europa sounded amazing. Even just starting with a basic sine wave, within seconds, very interesting and modern sounds can be created. I love how simple and accessible it looks, and how deep, fat and complex it can sound despite the simple interface. I can’t wait to play with it and use it in my own productions.

I have a question for the people that want all of these “extra” features for Europa without even having played with it... what kind of sounds do you want to make? Extra features don’t necessarily make better sounds. In some ways you can actually worsen the sound (not to mention the usability) of the synth if you add too many features. What sound could you possibly want to create that you can’t already do? And would that sound be suitable for human ears? Personally, from a synth like Europa, I expect great modern sounds that can be used in modern music, and I think Propellerhead got it “just right” and it offers great sounds in a nice clean interface. Well done!
Last edited by mark999 on 29 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

miscend

29 Sep 2017

I didn’t watch the stream. Did they confirm whether Europa is an RE or a native device?

chimp_spanner

29 Sep 2017

miscend wrote:
29 Sep 2017
I didn’t watch the stream. Did they confirm whether Europa is an RE or a native device?
I believe I saw Stefan say in the comments that it’s part of the program, like Thor, Subtractor, etc.

AzureEyes

29 Sep 2017

kungubu wrote:
AzureEyes wrote:
29 Sep 2017

Problem is the history of PH-rack synths. The final product is final. Subtractor, Malström and Thor – no updates. And it's not because there hasen't been any people asking for updates. The Europa we get in R10 is most certainly the final Europa.
Yeah for those synthesizers. Stuff people ask for could break people's projects and refills. A simple wavetable importing feature wouldn't break Europa project files

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

AzureEyes

29 Sep 2017

AzureEyes wrote:
kungubu wrote: Problem is the history of PH-rack synths. The final product is final. Subtractor, Malström and Thor – no updates. And it's not because there hasen't been any people asking for updates. The Europa we get in R10 is most certainly the final Europa.
Yeah for those synthesizers. Stuff people ask for could break people's projects and refills. A simple wavetable importing feature wouldn't break Europa project files

Don't mention Mattias wants to continue improving Europa and Grain overtime because the look expandable unlike Subtractor, Malstrom, Thor...

evolve187

29 Sep 2017

AzureEyes wrote:
29 Sep 2017
AzureEyes wrote:Yeah for those synthesizers. Stuff people ask for could break people's projects and refills. A simple wavetable importing feature wouldn't break Europa project files

Don't mention Mattias wants to continue improving Europa and Grain overtime because the look expandable unlike Subtractor, Malstrom, Thor...

if by expandable you mean upgradable... I think many would disagree. all three have potential to be 'expanded' and it has been requested by many.

I do hope you are correct about improvements to Europa and grain. they could become the new flagship instruments.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

https://soundcloud.com/terry-wilson-music

AzureEyes

29 Sep 2017

evolve187 wrote:
AzureEyes wrote:
29 Sep 2017

if by expandable you mean upgradable... I think many would disagree. all three have potential to be 'expanded' and it has been requested by many.

I do hope you are correct about improvements to Europa and grain. they could become the new flagship instruments.
All I know is Europa is my new favorite. Sorry Thor! I mean I guess we can still draw waveforms and make wavetables that way in Europa!

Socram
RE Developer

29 Sep 2017

kungubu wrote:
AzureEyes wrote:
29 Sep 2017

That's not really fair, I see you clarified that you're speaking of PH synths, but the rv 7000 got a major update for a feature fairly analogous to custom wavetables when it got custom convolution, years after the fact. There's also Parsec update, but not native admittedly and it wasn't free.

Point is, I don't think it's safe to assume it won't be improved over time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

• Information