Europa Shapeshifting Synthesizer (Thread)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Nocturn789

03 Oct 2017

the moment in the livestream when they've shown the feature to draw your waves on the envelopes display and then using env 3 and 4 on the engine and shapeshifting between them was so awesome! that was the moment i decided to get R10 instead and not Serum xD

Gesendet von meinem SM-N910F mit Tapatalk

:reason: v10.4
:recycle: :re:
Windows 10 Pro x64, Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM, Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Behringer X-Touch, Nektar Impakt LX61, Livid DS1, Novation LaunchPad Mini
Pioneer DJM-900NXS2, 2x Pioneer CDJ-2000NXS2, Korg Kaoss Pad 3

MannequinRaces

03 Oct 2017

For those complaining about the lack of CV options on the back (apologies if this has been mentioned I haven't read this entire thread) don't forget you can always put Europa in a combinator and have a fun romp with the CV that way!

AzureEyes

03 Oct 2017

MannequinRaces wrote:For those complaining about the lack of CV options on the back (apologies if this has been mentioned I haven't read this entire thread) don't forget you can always put Europa in a combinator and have a fun romp with the CV that way!
I know right!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

madmacman

03 Oct 2017

Nocturn789 wrote:
03 Oct 2017
the moment in the livestream when they've shown the feature to draw your waves on the envelopes display and then using env 3 and 4 on the engine and shapeshifting between them was so awesome! that was the moment i decided to get R10 instead and not Serum xD
It's a cool feature for sure, but since the relation between the waveshape and its actual sound is vague, this turns out to be more like a random process rather than precise sound design.

AzureEyes

03 Oct 2017

madmacman wrote:
Nocturn789 wrote:
03 Oct 2017
It's a cool feature for sure, but since the relation between the waveshape and its actual sound is vague, this turns out to be more like a random process rather than precise sound design.
I disagree. I think it opens doors for experimentation. I know what a saw sounds like as well as a sine. So if I draw a saw like wave I know it'll have more harmonics but if I draw a sine like waveform, I know it'll have a sine sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

madmacman

03 Oct 2017

AzureEyes wrote:
03 Oct 2017
I disagree. I think it opens doors for experimentation. I know what a saw sounds like as well as a sine. So if I draw a saw like wave I know it'll have more harmonics but if I draw a sine like waveform, I know it'll have a sine sound.
Yes, but you refer to the set of basic waveforms, which are in stock anyway. No need to draw them. But I fully agree that it opens doors for experimentation. :)

scratchnsnifff

03 Oct 2017

Just curious did anyone happen to see if it had bend + or - ? Those are my favorite modifier types hands down, really hoping that it's one of the options :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

stxlm

03 Oct 2017

I just want to put it out there that it's been possible to draw your own waveforms/tables in an audio editor (e.g. Audacity) and import them into a sampler (eg.NN-XT) for donkey's years.

esselfortium

03 Oct 2017

stxlm wrote:
03 Oct 2017
I just want to put it out there that it's been possible to draw your own waveforms/tables in an audio editor (e.g. Audacity) and import them into a sampler (eg.NN-XT) for donkey's years.
This is true, but it also neglects the dynamic waveshaping abilities that make a synth like Europa or Expanse so powerful: you're not just taking a waveform and keeping it as-is, you can morph it into variations of itself that change as you play.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

stxlm

03 Oct 2017

esselfortium wrote:
03 Oct 2017
stxlm wrote:
03 Oct 2017
This is true, but it also neglects the dynamic waveshaping abilities that make a synth like Europa or Expanse so powerful: you're not just taking a waveform and keeping it as-is, you can morph it into variations of itself that change as you play.
My understanding was that the "dynamic" buzzword refers to some of the proprietary wavetables, not to the spectral filter/harmonics bit.

My point is that there is really nothing new here, except for maybe those proprietary wavetables. There is so much hype when it comes to these types of products, and it's hard for me to get excited these days.

Will still buy it though.

Breach The Sky

03 Oct 2017

stxlm wrote:
03 Oct 2017
esselfortium wrote:
03 Oct 2017

My understanding was that the "dynamic" buzzword refers to some of the proprietary wavetables, not to the spectral filter/harmonics bit.

My point is that there is really nothing new here, except for maybe those proprietary wavetables. There is so much hype when it comes to these types of products, and it's hard for me to get excited these days.

All settings you make in the oscillator including the spectral filter and modifiers change the code parameters used to generate the wavetable, if I understand correctly. Hench, it's dynamic.

esselfortium

03 Oct 2017

stxlm wrote:
03 Oct 2017
esselfortium wrote:
03 Oct 2017

I think we've misunderstood each other. I'm not referring to something specific only to Europa, but rather a feature of other modern wavetable synths like Expanse as well: the ability to use LFOs and envelopes to change the waveform over time. This is something that you cannot do with samples of waveforms in an NN-XT.

When I say "dynamic", I'm not referring to any marketing buzzword, but simply as the inverse of "static".
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

per-anders

03 Oct 2017

It looked to me like a very nice and friendly synth. I do wish you could take audio input or samples as wavetable positions though, not just drawn shapes. It looks like it supports that internally (based on their demo and what they were talking about with “dynamic” wavetables).

tronam

03 Oct 2017

From the looks of it Europa strikes just the right balance between sophistication and ease of use. Propellerhead has a good track record in that respect and this is a wavetable synth where I could actually see myself building my own patches from scratch.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

stxlm

05 Oct 2017

esselfortium wrote:
03 Oct 2017
When I say "dynamic", I'm not referring to any marketing buzzword, but simply as the inverse of "static".
Oh, in the Europa presentation, I'm pretty sure Mattias referred to (some of) them as "dynamic wavetables".

miscend

05 Oct 2017

I really hope that Europa is not as heavy on CPU as Expanse is. That would be a bummer for me.

QVprod

05 Oct 2017

stxlm wrote:
05 Oct 2017

Oh, in the Europa presentation, I'm pretty sure Mattias referred to (some of) them as "dynamic wavetables".
To further explain dynamic, the difference between loading a sample in the NNXT and what Expanse, Surum, and Europa can do is that there are multiple wavetables that get cycled through so that it bends and morphs overtime. NNXT can't do that.

EdGrip

05 Oct 2017

I LOL'd.

miscend

05 Oct 2017

QVprod wrote:
05 Oct 2017
stxlm wrote:
05 Oct 2017

To further explain dynamic, the difference between loading a sample in the NNXT and what Expanse, Surum, and Europa can do is that there are multiple wavetables that get cycled through so that it bends and morphs overtime. NNXT can't do that.
There are ways to modulate or cycle though the start points in NNXT.

O1B

08 Oct 2017

Just saw... up to ~33 min...

EUROPA is SO well laid out for me... So easy to use, and so easy to reach a Big Sound.
I have half-assed MIDI control in Reason, but I really dont mind Mousing and Keyboarding this one.

- Well laid out Engine
- Nice addition of the FX filter.
- unique Filter Designs/Shapes

All to give the sound incredible dynamic movement, i think.
Great Job.

another hr, and ill be ready for October 25th!

theshoemaker

08 Oct 2017

miscend wrote:
05 Oct 2017
I really hope that Europa is not as heavy on CPU as Expanse is. That would be a bummer for me.
It's not! It runs very low on DSP even in the BETA. But to be fair, I didn't used all 3 OSCs. Still I think it won't consume a lot DSP
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

aeox
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2017

theshoemaker wrote:
08 Oct 2017
miscend wrote:
05 Oct 2017
It's not! It runs very low on DSP even in the BETA. But to be fair, I didn't used all 3 OSCs. Still I think it won't consume a lot DSP
Use all 3 OSC, max voice unison and try it :thumbs_up:

jayhosking

08 Oct 2017

aeox wrote:
08 Oct 2017

Use all 3 OSC, max voice unison and try it :thumbs_up:
Beta testers have been asked kindly to keep their mouths shut, but I want to say that some have run this very experiment of yours and found very good results.

O1B

09 Oct 2017

I would've thought "there's No WAY Europa would give Grain a run for it's money!"
WRONG!! WRONG!!
- 47:12 FX Switching? that UI? I didn't know i could do that!
if that FX section on EUROPA is Audio IN capable, that's a one stop shop right there.
There'll be some good head-to-head action with ANTIDOTE. Another Monster.

EUROPA nailed ease of use, the UI/ Feedback, creative processing.

Careful, Propellerhead. I think EUROPA can play itself.

Whatever you do, dont tell Europa it can also be the Rhythm section.
God help us all.

miscend

09 Oct 2017

theshoemaker wrote:
08 Oct 2017
miscend wrote:
05 Oct 2017
You're not in beta are you? I don't think you are allowed to talk it on here.

• Information