Europa Shapeshifting Synthesizer (Thread)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
aeox
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2017

ryanharlin wrote:
30 Sep 2017
bxbrkrz wrote:
30 Sep 2017
Very good HD. Thank you Ryan. If you could, swap the videos so you face each other when you are side by side next time. It would be nice for my eyes
That's actually how Mattias and I speak in real life, looking away from each other. I find then when we look each other in the eye Mattias is intimidated by my overpowering dominance. ;)
:lol:

4filegate

30 Sep 2017

I just remember this thing is just trying to give a new wave of products known as expressive MIDI instruments and let control pitch, timbre, and other nuances within each note. “wirehead NEED to have access to this technology”

AzureEyes

30 Sep 2017

Yeah I can't wait to play with europa. Did you see the FM and harmonic mods too

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

4filegate

30 Sep 2017

AzureEyes wrote:
30 Sep 2017
Yeah I can't wait to play with europa. Did you see the FM and harmonic mods too

Yep!
The main thing for me is the interface: It feels like playing an instrument rather than programming a script.
I get to follow my instincts and be surprised by my own results.

Reasonable man

30 Sep 2017

Mattias looks like a proper bearded viking,... i say this cause im wathing the series 'Vikings' right now. Set in Sweden .....filmed in Ireland ha ha

bxbrkrz

30 Sep 2017

ryanharlin wrote:
30 Sep 2017
bxbrkrz wrote:
30 Sep 2017
Very good HD. Thank you Ryan. If you could, swap the videos so you face each other when you are side by side next time. It would be nice for my eyes
That's actually how Mattias and I speak in real life, looking away from each other. I find then when we look each other in the eye Mattias is intimidated by my overpowering dominance. ;)
Now I get why his beard gets longer and longer since you started the live stream together :puf_wink:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

jayhosking

30 Sep 2017

ryanharlin wrote:
30 Sep 2017
Hey guys, thanks for tuning in for those that watched live and after the fact too. In fact we mentioned the ReasonTalk community and said hi during the stream. :)

I wanted to let you guys know that I've put up the Full HD and more importantly the STEREO stream archive on Youtube just now. You can watch Europa in all its glory without Facebook's potato encoder. :P Maybe OP could add this Youtube vid to the first post so people joining later to the party could see this version?

It's really great to hear this in stereo. Unison spread sounds great. The patches sound great. Great great great.

scratchnsnifff

01 Oct 2017

The point made about using envelopes 3-4 as a wave scanning oscillator does make for a compelling case as to why us users would want .wav import/.aiff import. With all the awesome features of Europa I can already see myself having to go outside of its interface to get some extra envelope action mattias did say something like"maybe in time" so that Leaves me hopeful for that feature. It is a standard feature with most modern wavetable synths Europa does look to live up to what I was hoping for :D
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

AzureEyes

01 Oct 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:The point made about using envelopes 3-4 as a wave scanning oscillator does make for a compelling case as to why us users would want .wav import/.aiff import. With all the awesome features of Europa I can already see myself having to go outside of its interface to get some extra envelope action mattias did say something like"maybe in time" so that Leaves me hopeful for that feature. It is a standard feature with most modern wavetable synths Europa does look to live up to what I was hoping for :D
I agree! 100%

scratchnsnifff

01 Oct 2017

Also I'm honestly confused as to why they didn't add a cv in for the basic filter and LFO how is it that expanse has more cv than this stock device look at Thor and even malstrom compared to Europa :p I really hope they spice it up in that department it should have about the same amount of cv functionality as the other stock devices, but all of this is not to say that Europa lacks anywhere, I can tell il run out of matrix slots quickly so cv is a huge part of my production. Thanks be to the combinator for those time:)

riemac

01 Oct 2017

Europa looks very interesting and I am very happy that it is the first Propellerhead synth with unison.
In the video it seemed that the detuning of the unison doesn't goes that far. I wish it would be possible to detune it a bit more. And the detune is only linear, I would like if Propellerhead would add an additional option for a detuning like in the supersaw (which can be looked up in the document from Adam Szabo).

Goodbye

01 Oct 2017

It's so half-arsed and feels unfinished. The three things that would make it great in the context of Reason are missing:

- comprehensive CV connections
- audio in
- loadable wavetables

They are force multipliers - they would make a mediocre synth into a powerful synth but they are all missing.

mark999

01 Oct 2017

Goodbye wrote:
01 Oct 2017
It's so half-arsed and feels unfinished. The three things that would make it great in the context of Reason are missing:

- comprehensive CV connections
- audio in
- loadable wavetables

They are force multipliers - they would make a mediocre synth into a powerful synth but they are all missing.

What type of sound would you be making with those additional features? Almost any sound that is pleasing to the ear already has been invented and already belongs in categories such as pads, keys, bass, etc... and most things that are not pleasing can be easily generated by tweaking any random noise or audio into an incomprehensible mess using a multitude of sources.

If you look at instruments that have stood the test of time (guitar, piano, bass, violins, etc) none of them have a million features or require CV connections or loadable waveforms. They do a certain thing and do it well, and you can use them in a million different productions in different ways. Why can't people just appreciate a synth for being a synth? Not every synth has to be a modular monster.

Goodbye

01 Oct 2017

But surely that is exactly why people use Reason - because of its modular nature. If you aren't using Reason like that I'm not sure why you would choose Reason over the alternatives? It's the one thing that it does better. My point is that rather than build a synth that really takes advantage of this, they've built a synth that doesn't.

Your argument is very confused. I'm guessing you stick to presets?

QVprod

01 Oct 2017

Goodbye wrote:
01 Oct 2017
But surely that is exactly why people use Reason - because of its modular nature. If you aren't using Reason like that I'm not sure why you would choose Reason over the alternatives? It's the one thing that it does better. My point is that rather than build a synth that really takes advantage of this, they've built a synth that doesn't.

Actually I'd wager the majority of Reason users are not heavy CV users hence Europa as well as some Propellerhead REs not having extensive CV options. Many people used the audio ins of say Thor or Kong because at one point there were limited fx options before RE.

scratchnsnifff

01 Oct 2017

Goodbye wrote:
01 Oct 2017

I am glad there are at least 4x4 cv sockets but I do find it confusing because it's one of reasons most known features. Also at the same time I am happy with what's available in the synth, but as stated by the props themselves, MORE :p

Jagwah

01 Oct 2017

QVprod wrote:
01 Oct 2017
Actually I'd wager the majority of Reason users are not heavy CV users hence Europa as well as some Propellerhead REs not having extensive CV options.
I thought that was nothing but a new direction Props chose to take, probably in an effort to make Reason look easier to noobs shopping for DAWs. Quite a shame imo.

QVprod

01 Oct 2017

Jagwah wrote:
01 Oct 2017
QVprod wrote:
01 Oct 2017
Actually I'd wager the majority of Reason users are not heavy CV users hence Europa as well as some Propellerhead REs not having extensive CV options.
I thought that was nothing but a new direction Props chose to take, probably in an effort to make Reason look easier to noobs shopping for DAWs. Quite a shame imo.
I don't think they would have done that if there wasn't already a substantial user base of not so heavy CV users. Remember not all music makers are not sound designers. Aside from the bare basics of CV control in Reason, (gate in/out, RPG8...etc) CV has relatively little value to those not into modular synthesis. That's probably most music makers in general

I personally barely ever use CV in actual song creation. Reason has other good qualities besides CV.

Zac

01 Oct 2017

QVprod wrote:
01 Oct 2017
Jagwah wrote:
01 Oct 2017

I don't think they would have done that if there wasn't already a substantial user base of not so heavy CV users. Remember not all music makers are not sound designers. Aside from the bare basics of CV control in Reason, (gate in/out, RPG8...etc) CV has relatively little value to those not into modular synthesis. That's probably most music makers in general

I personally barely ever use CV in actual song creation. Reason has other good qualities besides CV.
Well I respect that view but clearly you are an engineer/producer from your comments.

CV, modulation, connectivity are hugely important to me. It was slightly disappointing to see the back of Europa for me. Lots of opportunities lost IMO.

esselfortium

01 Oct 2017

I'd like to see more ports on Europa, personally. I don't know if it needs many dedicated CV ports: if there are a bunch of general-use CV ports, a few additional pages of mod matrix slots should ensure there's room to wire up whatever you want. Having some dedicated ones for common things like the main filter would be a time-saver though!

But one thing I'd really like to see is individual note/gate inputs for each of the three engines, so you can hook it up to three different step sequencers and use it like a superpowered version of Layers.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

RandyEspoda

01 Oct 2017

esselfortium wrote:
01 Oct 2017
I'd like to see more ports on Europa, personally. I don't know if it needs many dedicated CV ports: if there are a bunch of general-use CV ports, a few additional pages of mod matrix slots should ensure there's room to wire up whatever you want. Having some dedicated ones for common things like the main filter would be a time-saver though!

But one thing I'd really like to see is individual note/gate inputs for each of the three engines, so you can hook it up to three different step sequencers and use it like a superpowered version of Layers.
Well, THAT'S what's so great about Reason stock devices :

They are light on CPU, so you just load up three instances of Europa with each only one engine active,
hook up the three notes/gates to their own matrix, and use it like a superpowered version of Layers.
Problem solved ;)

That's what is still great about Reason, it still has those easy workarounds.

WeLoveYouToo

02 Oct 2017

Goodbye wrote:
01 Oct 2017

for what it's worth, i hardly use cv. i think of it as an effect, like say quadfrohmage, which is powerfull, but only if i want to write a part that needs to be modulated by another instrument specifically.

and i use reason not at all for it's cv functions... i moved over to reason 100% since the 9.5 vst implementation from protools, but i used it as a rewire synth/drum machine for years prior... it's just so stable and easy to use that i end up making songs in it much more organically, so it gets me more results than other daw's. sure i dont have access to some minor conveniences like tab to transient, but whatever, it's not a huge deal to manually adjust things in a song thats going to be rendered at some point anyways.

madmacman

02 Oct 2017

Zac wrote:
01 Oct 2017
CV, modulation, connectivity are hugely important to me. It was slightly disappointing to see the back of Europa for me. Lots of opportunities lost IMO.
Just guessing, but sometimes it's more a "political" decision by product management: They don't want to oust 3rd party RE developers. Even after Europe there's still good reason to buy eXpanse.

esselfortium

02 Oct 2017

RandyEspoda wrote:
01 Oct 2017
esselfortium wrote:
01 Oct 2017

Well, THAT'S what's so great about Reason stock devices :

They are light on CPU, so you just load up three instances of Europa with each only one engine active,
hook up the three notes/gates to their own matrix, and use it like a superpowered version of Layers.
Problem solved ;)

That's what is still great about Reason, it still has those easy workarounds.
You can do that, but not if you want to process the result through its filter drive and effects chain together, so not quite.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

4filegate

02 Oct 2017

madmacman wrote:
02 Oct 2017
...They don't want to oust 3rd party RE developers. Even after Europe there's still good reason to buy eXpanse.
TA^! We have found this helpful for understanding how this might affect us.
Had it easy here up to now used feature which came with Parsec2 (drag to the modulation destination) where can get Quickly Set destination parameter with click-and-drag in the Mod Matrix or eXpanse2.1 Note and CC Sequencer alt-click menus for creative pattern creation and manipulation.
I've noticed ultra-flexible modulation and routing with selectable effects-switcher as a tool "fx pedal kits".

• Information