Techniques/Effects for getting a more Analog sound

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Nerveclinic

29 Sep 2017

So it's always in the back of my mind, but really hit home listening to the new LCD Sound System Album. The various analog synth sounds are sublime.

So I am wondering if others here share the same opinion and perhaps have worked on techniques within Reason to get sounds closer to an analog type sound?

Any effects in particular? Any other techniques or ideas? To me there is such a huge difference from digital.

If you listen to a good copy of LCD Sound System's new song "How Do You Sleep" at the 3:35 mark the analog synth comes in an it's just magic.

normen

29 Sep 2017

High cut, high shelf. Analog gear didn't have that high end, most classic mics sound pretty harsh through modern equipment. That to me is the "analog" sound everybody looks for and has been my goto "trick" for esoteric customers.

Maaaaaybe a bit of distortion (softube knob) to simulate analog distortion but in reality engineers back then looked very much at their THD levels. You can also add a bit of pink noise at low levels to simulate all the tape and part noise of analog gear.

Otherwise it depends on the style and time, like you had chorus and too much reverb on basically everything in the 80s.

aeox
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2017

Saturation and roll off highs

selig
RE Developer

29 Sep 2017

normen wrote:
29 Sep 2017
High cut, high shelf. Analog gear didn't have that high end, most classic mics sound pretty harsh through modern equipment. That to me is the "analog" sound everybody looks for and has been my goto "trick" for esoteric customers.

Maaaaaybe a bit of distortion (softube knob) to simulate analog distortion but in reality engineers back then looked very much at their THD levels. You can also add a bit of pink noise at low levels to simulate all the tape and part noise of analog gear.

Otherwise it depends on the style and time, like you had chorus and too much reverb on basically everything in the 80s.
Ha! Great answer, especially the last part. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

29 Sep 2017

A little bit of noise, modulate everything in the sound just a bit, mix in a destroyed signal, saturation, LPF a bit, add something to the low end with eq, tape saturation is always nice, mix in a compressed signal to make it bigger.

Finally, check what the sound is missing and what it may need.
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

29 Sep 2017

You mean raise a high shelf a bit, but then LPF the high-highs?

qn5

29 Sep 2017

Reverbs & saturation certainly help, but the real trick is tape wobble.

All the old stuff was recorded on mechanical analogue gear, so there's always an ever so slight bend in the pitch on those old records.
The effect is more apparent when the music is played back through vinyl on turntables, since a lot of the old turntables were belt-driven and would wear out over time.

The AirRaid Audio Elements T-Delay RE has a preset for this and it's a godsend.
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

per-anders

30 Sep 2017

Check out The Legend RE by Synapse. This is a model of a small Moog synth that's got a great big sound, very close to analog and you should find most LCD Soundsystem sounds fairly easily with it. Moog themselves have a number of VST's and apps out there that you may want to trial.

Creativemind

30 Sep 2017

When I read your OP it reminded me of a video I saw from Wickiemedia so I sussed it out for you:-

So (me not being an expert of any kind) but to get the harmonics mentioned in that video, Saturation should be good here as it adds harmonics. You wanna give Saturation Knob a go.

You should watch the whole of that video too as someone has mentioned THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) and it Is explained in that video. Those wickiemedia vids are great.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Jagwah

30 Sep 2017

Rusko, in his super informative masterclass said to run all your sounds through your mixer ( / outboard gear) and re-record them for this purpose.

slightlyprog

30 Sep 2017

Jagwah wrote:
30 Sep 2017
Rusko, in his super informative masterclass said to run all your sounds through your mixer ( / outboard gear) and re-record them for this purpose.
But it depends on what mixer you have. :puf_smile:

Right now the best big console emulations can be had using Acustica Audio Nebula with libraries like the AlexB MFC or 4KC. Prime Studios Mixplug can add some of the character of the EMI TG12345. The Brainworx Bx consoles have lots of good reviews but caused crashes for me.

Basically, the AA Aqua or Nebula have the most realistic analog hardware emulations (consoles, EQ's, tape sims) at the moment. But it's very much a personal preference thing as there are many varieties of an 'analog sound'.

aeox
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2017

I also like to run stuff through cheap guitar pedals. I know you're looking for stuff inside Reason, but these things are cheap and I find no such results with anything digital. Although I do get desirable results with just saturation and amp modeling stuff. It's still not the same.

$50 Behringers Vintage Tube Monster is super cheap and I find that it gives mono sounds a nice lofi quality and really tames brightness in a way that EQ doesn't do. I'm no engineer, I'm just going off results I've had with experimentation. Also is super easy to change out tubes, in this example I'm using a Tung Sol.

Example:
VTM=Vintage Tube Monster

Aside from the VTM, both synths have the exact same effects applied to them like delay, and reverb.
EDIT: Updated examples :puf_bigsmile:
Without

With

Last edited by aeox on 02 Oct 2017, edited 4 times in total.

Jagwah

30 Sep 2017

slightlyprog wrote:
30 Sep 2017
Jagwah wrote:
30 Sep 2017
But it depends on what mixer you have. :puf_smile:

Right now the best big console emulations can be had using Acustica Audio Nebula with libraries like the AlexB MFC or 4KC. Prime Studios Mixplug can add some of the character of the EMI TG12345. The Brainworx Bx consoles have lots of good reviews but caused crashes for me.

Basically, the AA Aqua or Nebula have the most realistic analog hardware emulations (consoles, EQ's, tape sims) at the moment. But it's very much a personal preference thing as there are many varieties of an 'analog sound'.
I think he meant it in a more basic way, if you have a hardware mixer, record your elements one by one through it.

• Information