Why do some home studios have more than one MIDI keyboard?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
CYSYS8993

25 Sep 2017

I've seen some photos of home studios, and I'm wondering why some of them have multiple MIDI keyboards in their setups.
Isn't just one enough? I mean, what's the point of owning a bunch of extra cars in your garage? (aside from backup in case your current one breaks down)
Last edited by CYSYS8993 on 27 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

JordanFeross

25 Sep 2017

CYSYS8993 wrote:I've seen some photos of home studios, and I'm wondering why some of them have multiple MIDI keyboards in their setups.
Isn't just one enough? I mean, what's the point of owning a bunch of having extra cars in your garage aside from backup in case your current one breaks down?
Different controllers different feeling. Some are more weighed than others. I wouldn’t want to play a piano part on an organ and vice versa. I have 4. 2 of which are active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seckin

25 Sep 2017

Different sizes. I have a 25-key controller and an 88-key one. Obviously I can't play two handed piano with the 25-key one so for those purposes I've got the 88-key one, but also the plus size means that it is less fun to carry around for smaller and/or more mobile projects, for which I use the little one.
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

CaliforniaBurrito

25 Sep 2017

I used to have a supplemental 25 key for portability. Also maybe some people upgraded to a better controller and just leave the old keys sitting there. :)

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
25 Sep 2017
I used to have a supplemental 25 key for portability. Also maybe some people upgraded to a better controller and just leave the old keys sitting there. :)
Studio ornaments!

chimp_spanner

25 Sep 2017

I have an oxygen 25, 61 and a minikeys 32. Just depends how much desk space I need, or if I wanna have a jam with other people...which I haven’t done yet haha. But I know I’m set up for it at least!

Innerst

25 Sep 2017

I have two: 49- and 25 keys.

The 49 is stationary while the 25 is used when travelling.

When working on my stationary PC I always have both keyboards plugged in. I sometimes find it useful to lock the keyboards to different instruments for experimenting with chords and overlays.

aburazaru

25 Sep 2017

Another thing to keep in mind... In some of the studio pictures you might be seeing, some of the things that look like midi controllers are, in fact, synthesizers or work station keyboards. Just to add to some of the confusion, haha.

Furthermore, some midi controllers control VST instruments or secondary software(s) more efficiently. For example, I use my 49key midi keyboard with reason and a Maschine controller to control the Maschine software as a VST within reason.
How was I supposed to know "don't touch" meant to not push the big...red...button?

esefelipe

25 Sep 2017

For me it is function and action. My Panorama 49 is the centerpiece and sits on the desk in front of my computer. But I have a hammer-action 88 key off to the side that I swivel to when laying down piano-centric tracks.

If someone invented a multi-action controller (from hammers to synth feel with the pull of a lever or something), they would be mega rich.

jlgrimes

25 Sep 2017

The answer is that some producers are organ players.

Really though as others said it can be many reasons:

1. Feel of the keys. Sometimes you need synth action, other times you want it to feel like a piano.

2. Controller features. Not all controller support is the same. Some controllers go more in depth or have a more logical layout for doing certain tasks. Also as with key quality, controllers can have different knob/slider feel that might work better/worse for certain tasks. Some controllers have more extensive pedal support or even pad controllers

3. Need of more knobs, sliders buttons. Some folks just need Moar.

4. Having a big stationary and a portable rig. Many folks have a small controller when on the road and when they get home just hook it back up to their big setup.

5. Live performance. A lot can be expected of keyboard players and having a flexible setup can help.

6. Multiple keyboard players who record simultaneously.

7. Having a hardware synth that doubles as controller.

GRIFTY

25 Sep 2017

Own 1 controller: control 1 instrument. 2 controllers can control 2 instruments. 3 can control 3.

esefelipe

25 Sep 2017

GRIFTY wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Own 1 controller: control 1 instrument. 2 controllers can control 2 instruments. 3 can control 3.
Here I am being pedantic again (ugh), but this is oversimplified. Every controller I currently have access to (Nektar P4, Akai MPK49, MAudio Keystation Pro 88, Nord Stage 2, MAudio Axiom 61, Roland Fantom G8) supports some type of “zone” feature where multiple instruments can be controlled from a single keyboard - either in layers or splits. That’s just from the hardware. Within Reason, you can put any number of instruments into a Combinator and treat them as layers or splits from a single keyboard.

gullum

25 Sep 2017

flexibility for some for others it just GAS I have GAS for guitars instead of controllers

GRIFTY

26 Sep 2017

esefelipe wrote:
25 Sep 2017
GRIFTY wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Here I am being pedantic again (ugh), but this is oversimplified. Every controller I currently have access to (Nektar P4, Akai MPK49, MAudio Keystation Pro 88, Nord Stage 2, MAudio Axiom 61, Roland Fantom G8) supports some type of “zone” feature where multiple instruments can be controlled from a single keyboard - either in layers or splits. That’s just from the hardware. Within Reason, you can put any number of instruments into a Combinator and treat them as layers or splits from a single keyboard.

this is pedantic. one controller for drums. one for bass. one for lead. knobs for modulation. etc etc

• Information