I've started to use "Control Room Out"

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
selig
RE Developer

20 May 2020

mcatalao wrote:
20 May 2020
selig wrote:
20 May 2020

I really wish the Reason mixer worked this way, which would allow you to use a simple 2 in/2 out audio interface and be able to "export" from the Master Outputs while "listening" from the Control Room outputs.
Yeah, this is not limiting for me because my card has an internal mixer and i can route everything everywhere, and i don't lose outputs or inputs because of this.

But i can see, people with simpler setups, can have a nasty time. I that case, i would steer away from ctrl room because it will bring more trouble than be a solution.
I'm thinking of being able to listen to sends/returns on their own, things I could do on physical consoles without affecting the mix bus.
Selig Audio, LLC

mcatalao
Competition Winner

20 May 2020

selig wrote:
20 May 2020

I'm thinking of being able to listen to sends/returns on their own, things I could do on physical consoles without affecting the mix bus.
Ctrl Room already does that (you can select send 1 to 8, return 1 to 8) as it never affects the mix bus. And it doesn't affect the master (lets say there's a difference between the master and the exported signal that is 1-2 always).

What i'm trying to say is Ctrl Room works just fine, what's poorly implemented imho is the fact that the export is bound to 1-2, so if you route ctrl room there, it will break the signal after the mixing bus and mastering chain.

Maybe the hardware device should have an additional channel (lets call it tape or something else, i don't know) that is not bound to 1-2, and the user could opt to send the master there, and ctrl room is always routed into 1-2. This way, whatever you do to ctrl room does not affect what you export, and will only affect the signal that goes to the audio card.

Makes sense? This way my metronome issue, would also not be a problem because i would be routing the ctrl room to 1-2 (i'm routing to 3-4 because it was the way i found to solve the issue you're pointing).

PS.: I reread the whole thread, and saw you commenting something similar to what i'm saying. So if you want to ignore this, no prob. I'm just trying to make the point that what's broken is not Ctrl room but in fact the point reason taps, that should not be 1-2.

pushedbutton

20 May 2020

This would be a great topic to discuss on the 'Reason to say inside' stream.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

20 May 2020

pushedbutton wrote:
20 May 2020
This would be a great topic to discuss on the 'Reason to say inside' stream.
I don't know if they bite that... :)

BedsitAudio

20 May 2020

I control my monitor level with a passive volume controller (NanoPatch) before the monitors.

I have my Control Room outputs hooked up to the sampling input - I do a *lot* of resampling in Reason. Creating a drum sound and resample it into Kong, for instance. That way, sampling is always there - I only need to solo the channel being resampled briefly.

robussc

04 Dec 2023

Just relearned this "feature" today. It hadn't tripped me up as I use an external volume knob instead of the control room volume which is just left at 0db.

I'll see if I can set up monitoring from a different hardware output pair or else I'll have to start using the Bounce to File work around and select the Master Section.

Really thought it worked differently!
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

• Information