Pole: Reason 10 Upgrade

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you be upgrading to 10?

Yes
61%
No
24%
Unsure beta test first!
15%

Total votes: 275
AttenuationHz

22 Sep 2017

:question: :question: :question:

Pretty simple. Based on the announcement video and the featureless version of 10 will you upgrade based on the added devices alone. I can guess it will be 50/50 but I also like surprises!

You can come back after the beta and change your vote!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

aeox
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2017

For me it all comes down to how much I like Europa in beta. Could care less about everything else.

EDIT: After livestream demo, changed vote to YES. YES YES YES.
Last edited by aeox on 30 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

pushedbutton

22 Sep 2017

Reason 9 was a day 1 upgrade and I don't regret it.
This one, I think I can wait for 10.5
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Biolumin3sc3nt

23 Sep 2017

I'll be asking for Reason 10 from Santa Claus

Oquasec

23 Sep 2017

I'm not waiting to upgrade due to it being such a big deal. a better investment than most of these vst plugins :lol:
Last edited by Oquasec on 23 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

CaliforniaBurrito

23 Sep 2017

Too much going on in my rack already. That new Robotic Bean Time Slider RE is cool though.

gluepet

23 Sep 2017

I upgraded to 9.5 in August - and I would've gotten reason 10 for the same upgrade price if I had waited until Sep 1? Seems lame.

Marc64

23 Sep 2017

If the props haven't done a few updates and improvements like some of you peeps say, the props would instead have added all these new synths and stuff in a RE bundle for €129.
I will however just for the Grain synth update to 10 :)

starflakeprj

23 Sep 2017

gluepet wrote:
23 Sep 2017
I upgraded to 9.5 in August - and I would've gotten reason 10 for the same upgrade price if I had waited until Sep 1? Seems lame.
I'm sure Propellehead would be accommodating if you emailed them regarding this matter.

CephaloPod

23 Sep 2017

I'm not going to wait for Reason 10.5 or whatever. This is because I assume the point upgrades will be free for those who already have 10. Why not pay now and get an extra few months worth of use out of the new synths? If you wait, and pay $129 to upgrade to 10.5, you are getting less for your money.

People tend to look at these from a "stuff I want vs money" perspective, but what about time spent using the product? The sooner you buy it, the sooner you use it, the more value it has.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

joeyluck

23 Sep 2017

CephaloPod wrote:
23 Sep 2017
I'm not going to wait for Reason 10.5 or whatever. This is because I assume the point upgrades will be free for those who already have 10. Why not pay now and get an extra few months worth of use out of the new synths? If you wait, and pay $129 to upgrade to 10.5, you are getting less for your money.

People tend to look at these from a "stuff I want vs money" perspective, but what about time spent using the product? The sooner you buy it, the sooner you use it, the more value it has.
Unless you upgrade late with every version, then perhaps you get the same amount of time with each version as the person upgrading on day 1 :puf_smile:

Creativemind

23 Sep 2017

I'm on 8.3. I wanna upgrade but I can't get past the fact there doesn't seem to be any software upgrade. I would like to know if there are any workflow enhancements first. I know I will gain everything from 9 to 9.5 but hmmmm. Very tempted buy Reaper.

You wanna change the last option to beta test / demo first.

Does also make a difference how many versions you're coming from as well.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

AttenuationHz

23 Sep 2017

Creativemind wrote:
23 Sep 2017
I'm on 8.3. I wanna upgrade but I can't get past the fact there doesn't seem to be any software upgrade. I would like to know if there are any workflow enhancements first. I know I will gain everything from 9 to 9.5 but hmmmm. Very tempted buy Reaper.

And reset the results!? Being unsure beta test is demo'ing it. :?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

AttenuationHz

23 Sep 2017

CephaloPod wrote:
23 Sep 2017

That's a lot of trust you have for a complete product in point versions. You're buying into the backwardness of updates, adding fuel to the fire so to speak. Granted most of the time point updates do fix a lot but I for one would rather have the fixes in the "Major Upgrades". The beta test's should be a lot longer than 1 month prior to release also and with the logging versions of beta it is very hard to find bugs quickly because of the poor performance of logging versions. If more people were involved in beta and there was proper infrastructure in place to report and fix bugs in beta it would solve all those issues of fixes which seem to hold off other things being added.
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 24 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

CephaloPod

23 Sep 2017

joeyluck wrote:
23 Sep 2017
CephaloPod wrote:
23 Sep 2017

Unless you upgrade late with every version, then perhaps you get the same amount of time with each version as the person upgrading on day 1 :puf_smile:
This is true, but you aren't saving money. Meanwhile, everyone else is using the new stuff while you're still wondering "should I upgrade or wait?"
Reason/Logic

CephaloPod

23 Sep 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
23 Sep 2017
CephaloPod wrote:
23 Sep 2017

That's a lot of trust you have for a complete product in point versions.
Reason is already a "complete product" though. I've been happy with it since 1.5, and continue to be. There are things I'd like optimized/added/changed but I'm not stressing about it.
Reason/Logic

joeyluck

23 Sep 2017

CephaloPod wrote:
23 Sep 2017
joeyluck wrote:
23 Sep 2017

This is true, but you aren't saving money. Meanwhile, everyone else is using the new stuff while you're still wondering "should I upgrade or wait?"
I agree. You should never wonder if you should wait to upgrade at any point.

I am just of the thinking that you should upgrade when you need something and can put it to use and don't worry about when the next version will be released. Because that next version you don't need to get on day 1 either. So whether it's day 1 or a year later, get it when you can afford it and can put it to use.

The only version of Reason I didn't own was Reason 3. The last version I upgraded on day 1 was Reason 7. I got Reason 8 after 8.3 and Reason 9 around 9.2 I think. It's not always whether or not I like something necessarily, but when I can put it to use for a project and when I need it. And almost always, every version of Reason has something, whether from the beginning or a point update, that is of great use to me.

I'm likely not getting Reason 10 on day 1, but I'm sure I'll get it at some point. I have the Soundiron ReFills, I have Radical Piano and Synchronous, and while the two other synths look great and I'm sure I'll like Grain, it's just not what I need at the moment. I'm sure I'll appreciate it when I do have it with whatever else might entice me in a point update. And I'm not going to be worried about when Reason 11 will be released.

Jagwah

24 Sep 2017

Probably, depends on how well I get along with Europa and the grain sampler. Kinda expecting some point updates to follow.

motuscott

24 Sep 2017

I’m jumping from 7.1 to 9.5 today.
Got an itch in my pocket and I was making good money at the time…
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

syncanonymous

24 Sep 2017

Pole?? Hmmmm :roll:

After sleeping on it , I realize my next big project needs 50s cocktail / tiki room vibe...so the sounds alone are worth the upgrade alone
Plus, I will be going straight from 8.3 to 10...so, it is a no brainer to upgrade
I also really desire adding Timbre RE ...so gotta upgrade....all the sounds and new devices are icing :D
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

tronam

24 Sep 2017

Propellerhead can do no right. Over the past 4-5 years users have been complaining about the lack of brand new instruments and content included in Reason upgrades, but when they deliver on that front a whole new army of complainers come out of the woodwork. PH have a good track record of providing meaningful point releases after major upgrades, so I fully expect further workflow improvements and performance optimization moving forward.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

Pralijah

24 Sep 2017

joeyluck wrote:
23 Sep 2017
I'm likely not getting Reason 10 on day 1, but I'm sure I'll get it at some point. I have the Soundiron ReFills, I have Radical Piano and Synchronous, and while the two other synths look great and I'm sure I'll like Grain, it's just not what I need at the moment. I'm sure I'll appreciate it when I do have it with whatever else might entice me in a point update. And I'm not going to be worried about when Reason 11 will be released.
I also have at least Soundiron´s Micro choir, and some other. Is it the same sounds used in these devices? Seems not so new.
If so, only Europa synth and Grain is fully new. The sampled 3gb från sample magic I dont know what it is yet. If this is correct I might lean towards waiting to upgrade at least ´til a decent point update that makes more value for me. May say that I also use Logic Pro X and it has loads of sounds and synths, so not lacking too much of these standard sounds. Grain looks interesting though. Will demo it before I fully decide.
Make music shake again!

Creativemind

24 Sep 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
23 Sep 2017
Creativemind wrote:
23 Sep 2017

Oh it resets it. Well I can't vote then 'cause I won't be beta testing it as I'm not on 9 yet and I haven't made my mind up. I will be demo'ing 10.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

pquenin

24 Sep 2017

I think PH have gone the wrong way with this "content upgrade". I like new devices but a new version of Reason must bring improvments in the core app.
I more and more tempted by Studio One...

AttenuationHz

24 Sep 2017

Creativemind wrote:
24 Sep 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
23 Sep 2017

Oh it resets it. Well I can't vote then 'cause I won't be beta testing it as I'm not on 9 yet and I haven't made my mind up. I will be demo'ing 10.
Don't think you have to be on the latest version to beta test newest versions. You just sign up and they email a download link. https://www.propellerheads.se/betatest/sign-up/

You can also demo it as the Beta's are not complete and performance is always dirt because of logging. But you will pretty much get the idea of what is what from beta.

• Information