Reason 9.5.2 is now available!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
MattiasHG
Reason Studios
Posts: 430
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 22 Sep 2017

You're probably all busy with Reason 10, but we just released Reason 9.5.2—a free maintenance update for Reason 9.5. I thought you should know. :geek:

Here's what's new:
  • Reason 9.5.2 and Reason Essentials 9.5.2 are now compatible with macOS High Sierra
  • Improved file system handling
  • (Mac) Moved location of cache files for plugin screenshots, plugin registry and more
  • Improved plugin window focus handling on Windows, removed associated menu option
  • Fixed an issue with time signatures when importing MIDI
  • Fixed an issue that would cause Maschine to not play the first note in the sequencer
  • Fixed an issue where a VST GUI could sometimes disappear
  • Optimized reading of Remote map files
  • Made plugin window open button remotable, "Proxy Open Plugin Window"

scratchnsnifff
Posts: 1423
Joined: 21 Sep 2016

Post 22 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
22 Sep 2017
You're probably all busy with Reason 10, but we just released Reason 9.5.2—a free maintenance update for Reason 9.5. I thought you should know. :geek:

Here's what's new:
  • Reason 9.5.2 and Reason Essentials 9.5.2 are now compatible with macOS High Sierra
  • Improved file system handling
  • (Mac) Moved location of cache files for plugin screenshots, plugin registry and more
  • Improved plugin window focus handling on Windows, removed associated menu option
  • Fixed an issue with time signatures when importing MIDI
  • Fixed an issue that would cause Maschine to not play the first note in the sequencer
  • Fixed an issue where a VST GUI could sometimes disappear
  • Optimized reading of Remote map files
  • Made plugin window open button remotable, "Proxy Open Plugin Window"
Thanks! Optimization is always welcomed and appreciated :) now for the combinator 2 and il be all set :p haha thanks PH!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 9632
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 22 Sep 2017

Looks like you guys becoming faster and faster...promising for the future. Thanks for the update, its time to start the weekend :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

Heater
Posts: 567
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 22 Sep 2017

Any improvements to VST performance?

Jowe79
Posts: 74
Joined: 17 Aug 2016
Location: Barcelona

Post 22 Sep 2017

Yes matthias!!! Same question! Any improvment for vst performance??? Please i hope you vst manteinance!!!

User avatar
AttenuationHz
Posts: 2052
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Back of the Rack-1

Post 22 Sep 2017

Right clicking the open button does not bring up the remote override menu! Options > Remote Override Edit Mode is the only way to get to it. Have not tried yet as I don't have my midi plugged atm is it working for every?
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 22 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

User avatar
MattiasHG
Reason Studios
Posts: 430
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 22 Sep 2017

Heater wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Any improvements to VST performance?
This release has no general performance improvements.

For everyone with performance issues I have to stress all the normal things to try when you're experiencing issues:
  • Try with Hyper Threading both on and off
  • If you have VSTs that use a lot of juice, see if they have CPU settings. Many support multi-core/hyper threading where on/off can make a big difference.
  • Try increasing your buffer size
  • Try setting sample rate to 44.1, it's generally the only thing you need sonically and performs better
  • If you're on a Mac, try opening Reason in Low-Resolution Mode. Right click on the application, select Get Info and choose Open in Low-Resolution
  • Close all background applications
  • Don't confuse CPU monitor with what's audibly happening. You can see high CPU use sometimes because Reason reserves some CPU to not have to wake up idle threads.
And an important thing to understand about hyper threading: Hyper threading works by distributing load better. However, the way audio processing and Reason works when you put multiple devices in one chain (for example as insert fx or create one monster combinator) they are all processed together as one unit since all things must happen before they can render. Therefore hyper threading won't necessarily help when you just have a handful of super heavy plug-ins, but can help a lot when you have a lot of devices and tracks.

User avatar
xylyx
Posts: 209
Joined: 11 Feb 2015

Post 22 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Heater wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Any improvements to VST performance?
This release has no general performance improvements.

For everyone with performance issues I have to stress all the normal things to try when you're experiencing issues:
  • Try with Hyper Threading both on and off
  • If you have VSTs that use a lot of juice, see if they have CPU settings. Many support multi-core/hyper threading where on/off can make a big difference.
  • Try increasing your buffer size
  • Try setting sample rate to 44.1, it's generally the only thing you need sonically and performs better
  • If you're on a Mac, try opening Reason in Low-Resolution Mode. Right click on the application, select Get Info and choose Open in Low-Resolution
  • Close all background applications
  • Don't confuse CPU monitor with what's audibly happening. You can see high CPU use sometimes because Reason reserves some CPU to not have to wake up idle threads.
And an important thing to understand about hyper threading: Hyper threading works by distributing load better. However, the way audio processing and Reason works when you put multiple devices in one chain (for example as insert fx or create one monster combinator) they are all processed together as one unit since all things must happen before they can render. Therefore hyper threading won't necessarily help when you just have a handful of super heavy plug-ins, but can help a lot when you have a lot of devices and tracks.
What if you have tried all of them and the performance is still lacking compared to other hosts? This response almost seems to be absolving the Prop's of any responsibility for the poor performance in comparison to other hosts...so, does that mean that nothing is being looked at regarding this issue? Would just like to know whether to keep hoping for improvement in this regard...

User avatar
AttenuationHz
Posts: 2052
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Back of the Rack-1

Post 22 Sep 2017

xylyx wrote:
22 Sep 2017
MattiasHG wrote:
22 Sep 2017


This release has no general performance improvements.

For everyone with performance issues I have to stress all the normal things to try when you're experiencing issues:
  • Try with Hyper Threading both on and off
  • If you have VSTs that use a lot of juice, see if they have CPU settings. Many support multi-core/hyper threading where on/off can make a big difference.
  • Try increasing your buffer size
  • Try setting sample rate to 44.1, it's generally the only thing you need sonically and performs better
  • If you're on a Mac, try opening Reason in Low-Resolution Mode. Right click on the application, select Get Info and choose Open in Low-Resolution
  • Close all background applications
  • Don't confuse CPU monitor with what's audibly happening. You can see high CPU use sometimes because Reason reserves some CPU to not have to wake up idle threads.
And an important thing to understand about hyper threading: Hyper threading works by distributing load better. However, the way audio processing and Reason works when you put multiple devices in one chain (for example as insert fx or create one monster combinator) they are all processed together as one unit since all things must happen before they can render. Therefore hyper threading won't necessarily help when you just have a handful of super heavy plug-ins, but can help a lot when you have a lot of devices and tracks.
What if you have tried all of them and the performance is still lacking compared to other hosts? This response almost seems to be absolving the Prop's of any responsibility for the poor performance in comparison to other hosts...so, does that mean that nothing is being looked at regarding this issue? Would just like to know whether to keep hoping for improvement in this regard...
Maybe I missed the thread you started about troubleshooting any problems. I'd be happy to help with any bother you are having.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

User avatar
MattiasHG
Reason Studios
Posts: 430
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 22 Sep 2017

xylyx wrote:
22 Sep 2017
What if you have tried all of them and the performance is still lacking compared to other hosts? This response almost seems to be absolving the Prop's of any responsibility for the poor performance in comparison to other hosts...so, does that mean that nothing is being looked at regarding this issue? Would just like to know whether to keep hoping for improvement in this regard...
Of course we haven't stopped working on improving performance. No need to worry! It's just important that performance reports are actually about worse performance and not about a miss in information on how to optimize. :)

Hopefully, even if performance is worse than other hosts for you, you can still make some music in the meantime.

User avatar
xylyx
Posts: 209
Joined: 11 Feb 2015

Post 22 Sep 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
22 Sep 2017

Maybe I missed the thread you started about troubleshooting any problems. I'd be happy to help with any bother you are having.
I didn't see any need to start another thread about the excessive CPU issues, as there are plenty of people who've posted their experiences already and was just waiting patiently for the next update rather than add to the 'noise'. I was still willing to wait for it to be fixed even after this update; however, the post by Mattias almost seems to suggest that this is not something that the PH are looking at fixing - maybe I'm reading too much into his post, in which case I will continue waiting.

I did, however, post about the Cakewalk GUI's for Rapture and Dimension Pro not showing during beta testing and this hasn't been fixed...

EDIT: I see Mattias has responded and that I was reading too much into his post - so I will keep looking forward to the updates and hope that things will improve in that aspect. I guess I will just have to start bouncing down more in the meantime...

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2704
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 22 Sep 2017

Thank you for addressing the VST UI issues (specifically plugins like POD Farm that wouldn't allow me to click menus or control Reason's transport with the keyboard). Everything appears to work now. I'm also not getting those weird return-to-desktop scenarios when I close plugin editors, so that's also really good!

User avatar
AttenuationHz
Posts: 2052
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Back of the Rack-1

Post 22 Sep 2017

The open button remote override hidden behind menus is going to be slowing workflow way down. Right click should open the menu for the window no?

It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

User avatar
PelTek
Posts: 10
Joined: 08 May 2017
Location: Greece

Post 22 Sep 2017

None of the bugs I reported since beta are fixed, great!!

DevilBunny
Posts: 3
Joined: 19 Jun 2017

Post 22 Sep 2017

Please bring ""freeze track" function to Reason & UAD platform optimization:)

mfavila
Posts: 39
Joined: 13 Feb 2017

Post 22 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
Heater wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Any improvements to VST performance?
This release has no general performance improvements.

For everyone with performance issues I have to stress all the normal things to try when you're experiencing issues:
  • Try with Hyper Threading both on and off
  • If you have VSTs that use a lot of juice, see if they have CPU settings. Many support multi-core/hyper threading where on/off can make a big difference.
  • Try increasing your buffer size
  • Try setting sample rate to 44.1, it's generally the only thing you need sonically and performs better
  • If you're on a Mac, try opening Reason in Low-Resolution Mode. Right click on the application, select Get Info and choose Open in Low-Resolution
  • Close all background applications
  • Don't confuse CPU monitor with what's audibly happening. You can see high CPU use sometimes because Reason reserves some CPU to not have to wake up idle threads.
And an important thing to understand about hyper threading: Hyper threading works by distributing load better. However, the way audio processing and Reason works when you put multiple devices in one chain (for example as insert fx or create one monster combinator) they are all processed together as one unit since all things must happen before they can render. Therefore hyper threading won't necessarily help when you just have a handful of super heavy plug-ins, but can help a lot when you have a lot of devices and tracks.
Thanks again, I appreciate the continued bug fixes.

www.atomsapart.com


User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9391
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 22 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
22 Sep 2017
[*]Reason 9.5.2 and Reason Essentials 9.5.2 are now compatible with macOS High Sierra
Hey Mattias! Thanks for the update :puf_smile:

I know you mentioned that there are no performance improvements. And it's a few days before High Sierra is released (9/25)... But is there any chance that with this update in combination with macOS High Sierra (10.13), those users experiencing issues on Sierra (10.12) might see improvements?

User avatar
MattiasHG
Reason Studios
Posts: 430
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 22 Sep 2017

joeyluck wrote:
22 Sep 2017
MattiasHG wrote:
22 Sep 2017
[*]Reason 9.5.2 and Reason Essentials 9.5.2 are now compatible with macOS High Sierra
Hey Mattias! Thanks for the update :puf_smile:

I know you mentioned that there are no performance improvements. And it's a few days before High Sierra is released (9/25)... But is there any chance that with this update in combination with macOS High Sierra (10.13), those users experiencing issues on Sierra (10.12) might see improvements?
We haven't done any specific High Sierra performance improvements so that would be if Apple has changed something. But that's nothing we've seen in our testing so far.

User avatar
FlowerSoldier
Posts: 470
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

Post 22 Sep 2017

joeyluck wrote:
22 Sep 2017
MattiasHG wrote:
22 Sep 2017
[*]Reason 9.5.2 and Reason Essentials 9.5.2 are now compatible with macOS High Sierra
Hey Mattias! Thanks for the update :puf_smile:

I know you mentioned that there are no performance improvements. And it's a few days before High Sierra is released (9/25)... But is there any chance that with this update in combination with macOS High Sierra (10.13), those users experiencing issues on Sierra (10.12) might see improvements?
I was going to ask the same thing! I'm afraid to update my iMac to 10.12 because I read about performance issues with Reason 9.5.1.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9391
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 22 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
22 Sep 2017
joeyluck wrote:
22 Sep 2017


Hey Mattias! Thanks for the update :puf_smile:

I know you mentioned that there are no performance improvements. And it's a few days before High Sierra is released (9/25)... But is there any chance that with this update in combination with macOS High Sierra (10.13), those users experiencing issues on Sierra (10.12) might see improvements?
We haven't done any specific High Sierra performance improvements so that would be if Apple has changed something. But that's nothing we've seen in our testing so far.
Ok thanks

Heater
Posts: 567
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 22 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Heater wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Any improvements to VST performance?
This release has no general performance improvements.
Thanks for getting back to me. It's appreciated.

User avatar
gdm41
Posts: 89
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 22 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
22 Sep 2017
[*]Fixed an issue that would cause Maschine to not play the first note in the sequencer
Finally! Thanks for this one :)
Start lending-> http://www.kiva.org

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1765
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 22 Sep 2017

thankyou Mattias!

User avatar
stevan
Posts: 167
Joined: 17 Nov 2015

Post 22 Sep 2017

I hope that GUI pixalation problem (since 9.5.1) is gone now ... if not, I must stay in R 9.5 , Goodbye R X :(

User avatar
Marco Raaphorst
Posts: 2487
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands

Post 22 Sep 2017

Can't open Reason any longer! Getting the "Reason quit unexpectedly" after I start it.

How can I downgrade to previous version?

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Dabbler, martynx and 4 guests