Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Zac

26 Sep 2017

aeox wrote:
26 Sep 2017
Zac wrote:
26 Sep 2017
Has the beta started yet?
Probably
That's what I thought. Thanks. Fingers and toes crossed...

chimp_spanner

26 Sep 2017

RT be like

Oquasec

26 Sep 2017

Gonna wait till later to see what props has up their sleeve. bought that radical thing a few years back and still have a lot of cv to learn already xD
Plus there's some re to snag up first...Oberon.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Zac

26 Sep 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
26 Sep 2017
RT be like

He he, damn right! I've got time on my hands so I'm dying for a fix :P

Jagwah

26 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Holy f*ck, ScottyM!!!

Did we ever find out if he was just f*cking with us?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jagwah

26 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
26 Sep 2017
MattiasHG wrote:
26 Sep 2017

We've of course looked at the market for synths both externally and internally when designing Europa and I think it stacks up extremely well to other "big wavetable" synths on the market. Both sonically and feature-wise. But again, the best way to find out is to try it out once available. :puf_smile:
Ok then, so it’s set. Europa vs Serum/Massive.

This should be interesting...
If Europa can stand up along side Massive I will be ecstatic. It's actually one of my most requested features (a Massive competitor) so I better add myself to that 'we want more' crowd.

miscend

26 Sep 2017

Hold on ES2 and Thor aren’t really comparable. ES2 is nice but honestly they’re just different. ES2 is cold and really sterile if that’s what you’re after.

alex

26 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
26 Sep 2017
It has CV ins and outs, absolutely. An audio input to the spectral filter is not possible however, due to how the synth works. Dynamic wavetable means it generates wavetables on the fly based on your settings. The spectral filter is also generating that wavetable, so you can't route other audio in to it. :)
In Europa, do you think it would be possible to add a tiny little dice button (on each oscillator) to generate a new random waveform? :)
The fact you can draw your own wave, somehow makes me suddenly think about a random feature but I could be totally wrong!
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

26 Sep 2017

alex wrote:
26 Sep 2017
MattiasHG wrote:
26 Sep 2017
It has CV ins and outs, absolutely. An audio input to the spectral filter is not possible however, due to how the synth works. Dynamic wavetable means it generates wavetables on the fly based on your settings. The spectral filter is also generating that wavetable, so you can't route other audio in to it. :)
In Europa, do you think it would be possible to add a tiny little dice button (on each oscillator) to generate a new random waveform? :)
The fact you can draw your own wave, somehow makes me suddenly think about a random feature but I could be totally wrong!
Thanks for the feedback! There are already quite a few random-based modifiers and modulators, but we'll take it into consideration at least.

scratchnsnifff

26 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
26 Sep 2017
scratchnsnifff wrote:
26 Sep 2017
I am sure hoping such a worthy device has cv in/outs and hopefully a audio input for that unique filter that would be the icing on the cake, but honestly il take it as is because this synth alone is something Iv been bugging you guys about making :D

Well that's a cool concept! I am so happy and excited to use Europa it's killing me :D glad to know one of reasons best features has been implemented on what appears to be a new favorite thanks mattias
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

alex

26 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
26 Sep 2017
alex wrote:
26 Sep 2017

Thanks for the feedback! There are already quite a few random-based modifiers and modulators, but we'll take it into consideration at least.
That would be great, thank you!

I just have in mind this scenario:

1) click => new random oscillator
2) click => new random envelopes
3) a little bit of routing and tweaking

and BAM, new patch! :)
How cool that would be?

PS: ok I cheated, I'm presuming an envelope randomizer also ... :P

scratchnsnifff

26 Sep 2017

alex wrote:
26 Sep 2017
MattiasHG wrote:
26 Sep 2017

How cool that would be?

It's cool to see Reason stock synths to finally have the modern looking step sequencers :D

EnochLight

26 Sep 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
26 Sep 2017
It's cool to see Reason stock synths to finally have the modern looking step sequencers :D
If you're looking at the same product page we're all looking at, neither Grain nor Europa appear to have built-in step sequencers. But thankfully, not only are there far superior Rack Extension options available from Robotic Bean and Lectric Panda, we can always CV Thor's sequencer in a pinch. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

scratchnsnifff

26 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
26 Sep 2017
scratchnsnifff wrote:
26 Sep 2017
If you're looking at the same product page we're all looking at, neither Grain nor Europa appear to have built-in step sequencers. But thankfully, not only are there far superior Rack Extension options available from Robotic Bean and Lectric Panda, we can always CV Thor's sequencer in a pinch. ;)
K, not step sequencer but multi stage envelope generator :p I like to use mseg as a step sequencer by routing it all over the place at different values which has almost the same effect if you program it right. At least that's how my experience with dune2 is and the new prop envelopes look similar

EnochLight

26 Sep 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
26 Sep 2017
K, not step sequencer but multi stage envelope generator :p
Oh yes - those are pretty bad ass! Very happy to see those on stock Reason synths as well. :D :thumbs_up:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Karim
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2017

Miss him so much t... :cool:
gold times :roll:
esselfortium wrote:
25 Sep 2017
EnochLight wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Also, not only does the ES2 look like the 90's flat out threw up on it, there's really nothing remarkable about its sound at all.
Oh my goodness. I just looked up a picture and it's good to see ScottyM is getting some work...
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Exowildebeest

26 Sep 2017

Jagwah wrote:
26 Sep 2017
davidvilla wrote:
26 Sep 2017

Ok then, so it’s set. Europa vs Serum/Massive.

This should be interesting...
If Europa can stand up along side Massive I will be ecstatic. It's actually one of my most requested features (a Massive competitor) so I better add myself to that 'we want more' crowd.
For what it's worth, you can use the Massive wavetables in Expanse :)

Exowildebeest

26 Sep 2017

alex wrote:
26 Sep 2017
MattiasHG wrote:
26 Sep 2017

How cool that would be?

Since Nostromo 2.0 came out, we've all got random vibes ;)

But what Lectic Panda did so well is constraining the randomness to make it much easier to get usable results. It's really something I've never seen done so well before in a synth. Not sure if Propellerhead is up to that challenge :twisted:

alex

26 Sep 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
26 Sep 2017

Since Nostromo 2.0 came out, we've all got random vibes ;)

But what Lectic Panda did so well is constraining the randomness to make it much easier to get usable results. It's really something I've never seen done so well before in a synth. Not sure if Propellerhead is up to that challenge :twisted:
Yeah that intrigues me as well ... I only wish I could try it again first... Unfortunately my trial expired last year with Nostromo version 1 and at time I did not explored it properly... Anyway, the way I see it, each device reasonably "complex" should have a proper "randomize" function. :)

alex

26 Sep 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
26 Sep 2017
I agree, that's a "step" in the right direction! :P

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2017

It's pretty interesting that some people here assume that EVERYONE is super disappointed with the new upgrade. Yet looking at the "will you upgrade" poll right now 57% says yes. 25% says no and 19% are unsure. Apparently a clear majority are happy enough to upgrade. It's likely that more people will upgrade after the point update(s) as well.

Different opinions and criticism are worth hearing for sure, but the tone and attitude in a few of these comments are absolutely horrible. I just don't see how that is necessary to get your point across.

davidvilla

26 Sep 2017

EdGrip wrote:
26 Sep 2017
davidvilla wrote:
26 Sep 2017
...vs Serum/Massive...
...Omnisphere...
Which? Massive is over a decade old, whereas Serum is basically the current no.1 CPU-munching EDM ubersynth.
It does look like they both have a similar intent to Europa, though, whereas Omnisphere is a huge sample-filled do-everything sound-design monster that costs as much as a full DAW, and I don't think has the same intent as Europa.
Oh, did I include Omnisphere in the original comment I made which you "quoted" ?? Funny, I don't see it. Debating yourself, huh, Ed? ;)

EdGrip

26 Sep 2017

It just sounded like you were wondering how Europa and Grain compared to Omnisphere, that's all.
That's why I included it without going back to find the actual post, but okay
davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017
... But what are you comparing them to? Reason's internal synths??? What about compared to Omnisphere or Alchemy??

davidvilla

26 Sep 2017

That was a different post.

Mattias said Europa is going against the top wavetable synths, and I responded directly to that by naming the top wavetable synths out there right now (yuck, no not Codex). I wouldn’t expect the Props or anyone to exceed that ultimate thing of sonic beauty (Omnisphere) but I do expect Europa to at least come close to sounding somewhat similar to Serum and Massive. At least that is my expectation now thanks to Mattias.

EnochLight

26 Sep 2017

I'm not onboard with comparing Omnisphere to one synth in Reason. Omnisphere costs more than the entire program of Reason, and one could easily argue that Reason - taken as a whole - is far more powerful (almost laughably so) than just Omnisphere (1 or 2).

• Information