Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
seqoi

22 Sep 2017

This is probably cultural thing but me as being kinda new Reason user (i had Reason from ver 1 up to 3 then moved on and now bought 9.5) this update is icing the cake.

For 129 EUR i am getting quite a lot of new instruments and Synchronous (i already have my sample library so not interested in new samples at all).

Can anyone tell does new synth sport backpanel with input/output for instruments FX routing?

p.s. i can totally relate and understand long time Reason users and their bad luck awaiting for internal engine stuff in R10 like new curves etc.etc.

per-anders

22 Sep 2017

I'd just really like to know why the core hasn't been touched. Are there plans to update the core in the future? Some kind of roadmap?

I've seen several apps get left to rot after having "biggest ever updates" that contained nothing but plugin content just like this, shortly after what was clearly a clean out of half finished projects following take-overs. I really don't want to see this happen with my favorite DAW.

stp2015

22 Sep 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
22 Sep 2017
platzangst wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I like how the last couple times Reason updated half the threads would be "but where's the new synths? PH are just trying to get people to buy REs! They don't care about what the users really want!"
This!
That's totally true. Reason 7 got a lot of hate for being just workflow. I think they had to do this to make the basic reason package attractive again for new users. Old sample libraries and Thor are just not enough of a package for 369. But like Jiggery said, some workflow adjustments and high-res have been asked for so many times by so many people.

Zac

22 Sep 2017

I've just read this thread and while I agree that I had hoped for some core program updates/addition, I still felt pretty excited watching the promo video, those new synths and IDTs look fantastic and for me the gigabytes of drum content etc will come in handy. I only updated a few months ago so it stings a little bit but I'll gladly be getting the update when I can.

I don't know for sure, obviously, but it would surprise me if we didn't get at least one free point update which addresses other things.

Creativemind

22 Sep 2017

gdm41 wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Quite disappointing for me. With the VST support i dont need more instruments and sounds. I´d hoped for a complete gui/seq overhaul. I´m not into synths and thor and subtractor ist enough for me and i already own radical piano (do i get a cashback? :)). If the price ist below 100€ ill buy it anyway.
You have a point there. People who already own Synchronous and Radical Piano should get a reduction. €20 off for each.

And now the dust has settled, and with someone mentioned they read somewhere that this looks like all we're getting. I'm very disappointed with this update. It's another lacklustre update like 8 was.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

craven

22 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
22 Sep 2017
craven wrote:
22 Sep 2017

hey Ryan,

I think it was very smart to give VST with Reason 9.5 instead of making VST the big thing of Reason 10. I very much prefer the new synths and it's a killer package. Instead of making it a RE bundle, it becomes a new standard for updated Reason owners, nice! Adding synths that I bought already and no major overhaul of the sequencer etc. is taken with a grain of salt, but GRAIN makes up for that alone. I'm so hyped for it! Pretty sure you'll surprise with more stuff. Congrats on the new version and good luck with the beta! (PS: fun video as always!)
Lol why don’t you also reveal your Propellerhead name.
I'm Ernst. Or in German: Im Ernst? (for real?) :lol:

(I try to be optimistic and I hope Props will deliver the needed workflow updates - aren't we used to wait? Some wanted VST support for ages. Maybe that's the issue, those wanting other stuff are getting impatient. I didn't care about VST - I prefer the RE workflow so far. And yes, the marketing means biggest sound content update but omits the word 'sound', since there is nothing else. To me this update is a big RE bundle and I understand that this is a bit underwhelming for a Reason 10. I'm just hyped as I was with Reason 4. Good times, but yeah, things have changed.)
Edit: typos.
Last edited by craven on 22 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.
:ugeek:

adfielding

22 Sep 2017

platzangst wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I like how the last couple times Reason updated half the threads would be "but where's the new synths? PH are just trying to get people to buy REs! They don't care about what the users really want!"
Must admit I was a bit guilty of this myself with the past couple of versions - I think R7 - 9 were kind of slow burners that took a while to truly reveal how useful they were, but they didn't have such an immediate "woah" factor.

So... as a guy who's been hoping for a new Reason-native synth since Thor: here comes Europa. Woah, indeed.

EdGrip

22 Sep 2017

Most of my thoughts have already been expressed here:
I love synths, so that means I'm well excited about these ones - but it also means I've got loads already.
I also agree with the point about Reason being, above all, a great and affordable all-inclusive DAW for someone just getting started. Its native devices have been getting a bit long in the tooth and overshadowed by native devices in other DAWs, so this DID need to happen at some point. I paid (cheap sale price) for Synchronous, but I always thought it should be a stock device, and now it is (although I'd still love a gate input for one-shot envelope use! Please! Can't be that hard!)

So these devices, and loops, plus VST support, make Reason more than competitive on the content front again.
But I feel cheated to see it described as "the biggest update ever", when apparently nothing about the program itself has changed at all. Nothing. Zilch.

I really hope there's a team working on the DAW side of things too, and that we'll see the fruits of their labour soon. I hope there is still a drive to push Reason forward. The Tick/tock idea of upgrade strategy sounds plausible.

Give us a sign, Propellerhead! (Actually a roadmap would be a really really good thing to do - lots of other companies do it, and I don't think it would damage sales. If anything it would help them!)

jlgrimes

22 Sep 2017

I just hope they made some piano Roll improvements. I would have been elated if all the time they put into making these instruments, they focused in improving the piano Roll, better keybinding support, and track freeze.

That said the features I mentioned are probably too dull for marketing but hopefully they left some stuff unannounced. They sometimes leave small workflow enhancements "unannounced" especially catch-up ones.

KrazyKat

22 Sep 2017

miscend wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Isn’t that weird. Apart from the new instruments there are no new features.

They could have updated the combinator and sequencer. Also could have solved the Spider splitter bug. And there are no new workflow enhancements.
I agree, this is very strange. Biggest update ever? That's exactly the wording they used for V8 and we all knew how underwhelming that was.

Loque

22 Sep 2017

jlgrimes wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I just hope they made some piano Roll improvements. I would have been elated if all the time they put into making these instruments, they focused in improving the piano Roll, better keybinding support, and track freeze.

That said the features I mentioned are probably too dull for marketing but hopefully they left some stuff unannounced. They sometimes leave small workflow enhancements "unannounced" especially catch-up ones.
Yea, that marketing ppl and speech need big basswords. Things like "hey we improved piano roll while moving the mouse around" or "you can ghost view another track while editing" would not sell...they think...
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

22 Sep 2017

Tell you what though, Grain looks ace. I'd been considering buying PadShop Pro, but looks like I might not need to. XD

EdGrip

22 Sep 2017

Also, it's interesting that they specifically mentioned tape-stops in the video - as has been much discussed, there's no good way to do that in Reason. So maybe that's part of Grain's functionality?

EnochLight

22 Sep 2017

platzangst wrote:
22 Sep 2017
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This. So much this. I guess they’ll never please everyone.

* Edit: I’ll leave now to collect my paycheck :roll:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

deepndark

22 Sep 2017

Kind of Ironic, but Rack Extensions and VST support also were "more everything" upgrades. Dear Props, please consider making the next upgrade being all about "No.1 Experience of all the DAWS". More everything is good too, but the most biggest upgrade would defo be about, how we feel about using Reason.
That said, even the most oldest Reason veterans who know Reason almost inside out, want the maximum control over EVERYTHING. At the end, the best workflow and understanding Reason, is the biggest key to feel good about using it. Will upgrade for sure, but All the new REs, VSTs and now this new Reason 10 with even more devices, make my feel very anxious already. It's like there's thousands of girls that scream at me, at the same time . They want my attention and I feel like I can't satisfy them all at once. I think I'm gonna put all my Refills that waste my time into my external HD, for backwards compatibility Reasons and never look back. I want to use only top-quality samples and patches. "Less is more" applies to content as well I think.

Loque

22 Sep 2017

deepndark wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I want to use only top-quality samples and patches. "Less is more" applies to content as well I think.
Agree 100%.
Reason12, Win10

unisyn

22 Sep 2017

"Producer's Rig" incl. free promotion upgrade to 9.5 :roll:

marcuswitt

22 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
22 Sep 2017
ryanharlin wrote:
22 Sep 2017

I'm going to temporarily take off my Propellerhead name tag and go back to being the Reason user I was/am...

Just so we're keeping score the "big one" would be curved automation? It's not two new cutting edge synths that make sounds nobody else makes? It's... curved automation?

I mean, I'll echo my desire for video support too but I use Reason to make music and to that end I always welcome new synths. If I had to choose between Europa & Grain vs. curved automation... I'll happily draw curved lines in Adobe Illustrator and make music with Grain in Reason, thanks. :)
From my side, i own so many synths and sounds, make quickly my own, i dont really need new sounds. I need a few other things, that could help me more (pun...). But i guess new customers welcome this package addition.
Well, from my personal point of view this is a fantastic update. And after a short time of using a handful of VST synths within Reason, I can clearly say that I found my way back to RackExtansions, which - from my very personal perspective - is so much more fun to play with. Therefore, introducing 2 new powerful synths and 3 new sample playback modules (IDTs) as well as Radical Piano, Synchronos plus an expanded sound library with Reason 10 is definitely worth the 129,- $US/Euros.
But yes - and I'm saying this, although Reason 10 hasn't been released yet - there are a few things that the PPHs could focus on for the next update, such as Fader Groups in the Main Mixer, Combinator 2 (more knobs, buttons, faders, displays and CV INs), crossfades between overlapping audio clips within the sequencer, advanced Automation modes in the Main Mixer and in the Sequencer, i.e. Trim, Touch, Latch, Snapshot. The rest of Reason is really great and good enough for getting my music production jobs done quicker an easier than with any other DAW.
Last edited by marcuswitt on 22 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

syrokitty

22 Sep 2017

EdGrip wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Although I'd still love a gate input for one-shot envelope use! Please! Can't be that hard!
I'm highlighting ^this, because we need far more of these small, but clever additions.

Joins the likes of:
- Scale modulation in the Combinator Programmer.
- A separate Thor sequencer utility.

(I'm definitely leaving out things.)

plasticfractal

22 Sep 2017

This looks good and I will definitely upgrade on release day. However, I really hope there are more "smaller" updates with regard to worklow, midi sequence editing, etc. New instruments are always good and Reason definitely needs better drum sounds out of the box, so this should be a good high visibility update. But I will be disappointed if they don't do any updates to the sequencer window or VST optimization.

laperuk

22 Sep 2017

A lot of Reason users are forced to use Protools just because some simple features are missing in Reason : multiple tracks editing (editing real drums tracks simultaneously is impossible, it's unbelievable for a studio use !!!), quick crossfade in project window, video track...
As always, I'm looking forward for this update with new sounds and RE's, but I also hope that propellerhead will one day understand that pro users NEED these features to make Reason their main tool. Finger crossed for some improvements in the R10 workflow !

deepndark

22 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
22 Sep 2017
deepndark wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I want to use only top-quality samples and patches. "Less is more" applies to content as well I think.
Agree 100%.
:thumbs_up:
Maybe Reason 10 should be the last Reason version named 'REASON'. The next Reason should be called "Reason Experience". We could keep Reason 10 installed also. Why do we need Synchronous, Matrix, Alligator, Players etc. as different devices? It feels like all these do something similiar. Morph these devices together and make them ONE!
Another example: Kong is a monster but it has no step-sequencer. Redrum is simple, but make a new device that is more simple than KONG. The biggest ticket for The PROPS is making a new Reason, out of the old IMHO.

Krell

22 Sep 2017

Disappointing.
Reason 12 // Bitwig 4 // Live 11 // Logic Pro X // Fabfilter // Soundtoys // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

mfavila

22 Sep 2017

ryanharlin wrote:
Jagwah wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Wow thought this would be the big one, no curved automation, no video support just more REs and samples?
I'm going to temporarily take off my Propellerhead name tag and go back to being the Reason user I was/am...

Just so we're keeping score the "big one" would be curved automation? It's not two new cutting edge synths that make sounds nobody else makes? It's... curved automation?

I mean, I'll echo my desire for video support too but I use Reason to make music and to that end I always welcome new synths. If I had to choose between Europa & Grain vs. curved automation... I'll happily draw curved lines in Adobe Illustrator and make music with Grain in Reason, thanks. :)
Haha somehow I respect you more for just coming in and responding. I would be looking for more workflow improvements too, but I appreciate that Props is making a more complete package for 10.

www.atomsapart.com

deepndark

22 Sep 2017

deepndark wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Loque wrote:
22 Sep 2017

Agree 100%.
:thumbs_up:
Maybe Reason 10 should be the last Reason version named 'REASON'. The next Reason should be called "Reason Experience". We could keep Reason 10 installed also. Why do we need Synchronous, Matrix, Alligator, Players etc. as different devices? It feels like all these do something similiar. Morph these devices together and make them ONE!
Another example: Kong is a monster but it has no step-sequencer. Redrum is simple, but make a new device that is more simple than KONG. The biggest ticket for The PROPS is making a new Reason, out of the old IMHO.
This would also allow The Props to ADD all the missing (alltime) worthful suggestions as well. This would be like Reason would born a kid, that is so talented and cool. A new beginning to all the Reasonists also feels good. Maybe I should enter the Reason Pilots team?

• Information