Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

07 Oct 2017

The_Grass wrote:
07 Oct 2017
Will everything wat is in Reason 9 stay in Reason 10 ?
Or are they taken something out ?
wat.jpg
wat.jpg (37.69 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
;) Nothing is taken out.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Lorebrand

07 Oct 2017

Several years back I decided to take a break from music. I sold everything I had, hardware and software, except for my Reason license. In Sept I decided to build a new home studio to introduce my son to music now that he's old enough, and I upgraded to Reason 9.5 on Sept 11. I had planned on buying Serum and Radical Pianos in Oct, and had never even heard of Synchronous until the Reason 10 launch announcement.

What I'm trying to say is, I appear to be "that guy" Reason 10 was designed exclusively for. It's a pleasure to meet you. :lol:

The only problem is, my eyes aren't as good as they once were when I used Reason 3 - 7, and on my 21" 1080P monitors, it's nearly impossible to read the instruments in the rack. I was hoping for an FL Studio style Vector remake of the interface as much as everyone else. Maybe 10.5? *crosses fingers*

BTW: They said last week the beta was supposed to start this week. I saw someone in the live stream yesterday saying they were in playing with the beta. Am I the only one that didn't get an invite, or has the beta not started yet?

WongoTheSane

07 Oct 2017

Lorebrand wrote:
07 Oct 2017
BTW: They said last week the beta was supposed to start this week. I saw someone in the live stream yesterday saying they were in playing with the beta. Am I the only one that didn't get an invite, or has the beta not started yet?
Welcome back! :)

The beta has started but they're handing out invitations a few at a time, and depending on how many people have applied, some won't be able to join. On the other hand, the final version is only two weeks away. And for you: free! :)

EnochLight

07 Oct 2017

Lorebrand wrote:
07 Oct 2017
The only problem is, my eyes aren't as good as they once were when I used Reason 3 - 7, and on my 21" 1080P monitors, it's nearly impossible to read the instruments in the rack. I was hoping for an FL Studio style Vector remake of the interface as much as everyone else. Maybe 10.5? *crosses fingers*
This is easily addressed - right now - using your OS zoom function, or increasing the app display size. On Windows, right-click your desktop and select "Display Settings". Then scroll down to "Scale and layout" and select the drop-down list under "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" and select 125% or larger. I find that Reason looks great at 125% on my 27" 1080p panels, though YMMV. On OSX, I can't remember the process but it's there. Or you can use OSX's built-in zoom, which is fantastic.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

steff3

07 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
07 Oct 2017
]

This is easily addressed - right now - using your OS zoom function, or increasing the app display size. On Windows, right-click your desktop and select "Display Settings". Then scroll down to "Scale and layout" and select the drop-down list under "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" and select 125% or larger. I find that Reason looks great at 125% on my 27" 1080p panels, though YMMV. On OSX, I can't remember the process but it's there. Or you can use OSX's built-in zoom, which is fantastic.
Would be much more convenient if one could scale reason only - no need to scale the whole desktop experience ....
but better than nothing I guess....

best

The_Grass

07 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
07 Oct 2017
The_Grass wrote:
07 Oct 2017
Everything from past versions is usually kept from update to update. Unless it needs to be improved upon. What are you thinking will get taken out?

I hope not that they chance or taken out the Softube effect just that they removed from Reason 8 to Reason 9 the line Refill effect.

Arrant
Competition Winner

07 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
07 Oct 2017

This is easily addressed - right now - using your OS zoom function, or increasing the app display size.
No, it really isn't. I don't like how those options work at all. I have to run a separate monitor at like 1024x768 just for the reason rack. It's getting to a point where it's unacceptable.

EnochLight

07 Oct 2017

Arrant wrote:
07 Oct 2017
EnochLight wrote:
07 Oct 2017

This is easily addressed - right now - using your OS zoom function, or increasing the app display size.
No, it really isn't. I don't like how those options work at all. I have to run a separate monitor at like 1024x768 just for the reason rack. It's getting to a point where it's unacceptable.
Sure it is. Not liking how the current option works is fine, but it works. Using a separate monitor in a lower resolution almost seems like a worse option than letting your OS scale your app for you (no need to buy/use a second monitor in such poor resolution).

Keep in mind, I'm not happy that Reason doesn't scale better on high def monitors either. Believe me, I'd love to use it on a 4K monitor without using a magnifying glass or relying on OS solutions. I'm just reminding people that there are ways around such problems now that do work, IMHO.

Hopefully we'll see this addressed at some point via Reason itself. We all know it has to happen at some point.

etyrnal

07 Oct 2017

EdGrip wrote:
Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
04 Oct 2017
Depends on your Keyboard Girlfriend
Nah, like this:
That's awesome. Prefer keyboard shortcuts tho

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Arrant
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
07 Oct 2017
Arrant wrote:
07 Oct 2017

Sure it is. Not liking how the current option works is fine, but it works. Using a separate monitor in a lower resolution almost seems like a worse option than letting your OS scale your app for you (no need to buy/use a second monitor in such poor resolution).

Keep in mind, I'm not happy that Reason doesn't scale better on high def monitors either. Believe me, I'd love to use it on a 4K monitor without using a magnifying glass or relying on OS solutions. I'm just reminding people that there are ways around such problems now that do work, IMHO.

Hopefully we'll see this addressed at some point via Reason itself. We all know it has to happen at some point.
The point is to scale ONLY the rack, not the entire program. Furthermore, individual scale and layout is a windows 10 feature which doesn't exist in windows 7.

So yeah, there needs to be a solution in Reason itself.

lakinlakin

08 Oct 2017

Arrant wrote:
08 Oct 2017
The point is to scale ONLY the rack, not the entire program. Furthermore, individual scale and layout is a windows 10 feature which doesn't exist in windows 7.

I agree. Reason needs the ability to display nicely. Having to use third party or OS workarounds is lame.

SebAudio

08 Oct 2017

lakinlakin wrote:
08 Oct 2017
Arrant wrote:
08 Oct 2017

I agree. Reason needs the ability to display nicely. Having to use third party or OS workarounds is lame.
Surely Props are reading the posts, so I too add that Reason needs its rack to be in line with current monitor display resolutions.

normen

08 Oct 2017

Lorebrand wrote:
07 Oct 2017
Several years back I decided to take a break from music. I sold everything I had, hardware and software, except for my Reason license. In Sept I decided to build a new home studio to introduce my son to music now that he's old enough, and I upgraded to Reason 9.5 on Sept 11. I had planned on buying Serum and Radical Pianos in Oct, and had never even heard of Synchronous until the Reason 10 launch announcement.

What I'm trying to say is, I appear to be "that guy" Reason 10 was designed exclusively for. It's a pleasure to meet you. :lol:

You CAN use your OS's zoom functionality as a workaround for now. But yeah, the UI should be zoomable - something I'm very sure the Props are working on.

Edit: Theres even helper software that allows running certain apps in "No-HiDPI Mode" or simply zoomed by two or something, I used one like that for an OSX machine at work, surely theres stuff for windows as well.

EnochLight

08 Oct 2017

Arrant wrote:
08 Oct 2017
The point is to scale ONLY the rack, not the entire program.
Oh I totally agree, though I'd say being able to scale the sequencer as well is needed. Right now the limited waveform zoom is a pain in the arse.
Arrant wrote:
08 Oct 2017
Furthermore, individual scale and layout is a windows 10 feature which doesn't exist in windows 7.
Wait... people still use Windows 7? jk :lol:
Arrant wrote:
08 Oct 2017
Most certainly agree. I've been complaining about this since Reason 6 appeared. Hopefully we'll see it addressed by Reason 15 or 20. :D

scratchnsnifff

09 Oct 2017

The_Grass wrote:
07 Oct 2017
not a single thing Is being removed, new content is being added. Fear not :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Last Alternative

09 Oct 2017

So R10 is just more 1-shots and a few new synths?
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Goodbye

09 Oct 2017

Last Alternative wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Yup.

chimp_spanner

09 Oct 2017

Last Alternative wrote:
09 Oct 2017
There are a couple of under-the-hood changes that I won't disclose while it's in beta, but I wouldn't say it's "just" a "few new synths". Europa and Grain are probably some of the best sounding synths I've tried in a long, long time. And seeing how Reason (like any DAW) is about making music first, then any new tools that give you new ways to make music are a plus.

And I should add, btw, that Grain is insanely inspiring. Even the oldest FSB sounds have new life in this thing. It's really very good :) Although granted, if it's not what you personally need then that's fair enough! Not all styles of music require granular soundscapes stretching off into infinity :lol:

I'd keep my eyes peeled for .5 in any case. They've done the content update. Program is next. I feel it in my boooooones man.

AttenuationHz

09 Oct 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Last Alternative wrote:
09 Oct 2017
There are a couple of under-the-hood changes that I won't disclose while it's in beta, but I wouldn't say it's "just" a "few new synths". Europa and Grain are probably some of the best sounding synths I've tried in a long, long time. And seeing how Reason (like any DAW) is about making music first, then any new tools that give you new ways to make music are a plus.

And I should add, btw, that Grain is insanely inspiring. Even the oldest FSB sounds have new life in this thing. It's really very good :) Although granted, if it's not what you personally need then that's fair enough! Not all styles of music require granular soundscapes stretching off into infinity :lol:

I'd keep my eyes peeled for .5 in any case. They've done the content update. Program is next. I feel it in my boooooones man.

I second that. Iv'e started 2 songs using it in the beta! First one from a Patch with some minimal adjustments second from a stab sample and crazy CV routing using Grains LFO's and envelopes as Gate triggers. The strength of Grain alone is worth €129. I've been swayed! :lol:
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

EnochLight

09 Oct 2017

Goodbye wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Last Alternative wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Yup.
Nope.

joeyluck

09 Oct 2017

Last Alternative wrote:
09 Oct 2017
You can also add devices to favorites lists. This has been shown in the Propellerhead live streams.

EnochLight

09 Oct 2017

joeyluck wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Last Alternative wrote:
09 Oct 2017
You can also add devices to favorites lists. This has been shown in the Propellerhead live streams.
It's more than "just more 1-shots" as well. The loop content is massive (not to be confused with 1-shots), and the factory content added for Europa and Grain is pretty nice.

Exowildebeest

09 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
09 Oct 2017
joeyluck wrote:
09 Oct 2017

It's more than "just more 1-shots" as well. The loop content is massive (not to be confused with 1-shots), and the factory content added for Europa and Grain is pretty nice.
I've been very impressed with the 1 shots and loops so far. Very high quality, very useful, whatever your level of experience is or how many samples you already have :)

jayhosking

09 Oct 2017

Are we just talking about this openly now? Because if so, I'd like to say: 1. Grain rules and is endlessly inspiring. Throw a sample in it and go. 2. Europa does a variety of synthesis really well and without breaking the ol' CPU (and that's on a beta build).

ravasb

09 Oct 2017

Reason's long term challenge will be that it is really not modular enough for those embracing Euro Racks and Euro Rack emulations. It is probably too modular for those who want a normal DAW. The sequencer remains substandard.

Reason used to feel retro, now it feels dated. I have been using Reason since 2.5, and will probably upgrade after the Black Friday sales if I have any money left, but it feels like Reason is no longer a leader in innovation

• Information