Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ljekio

22 Sep 2017

woodsdenis wrote:
22 Sep 2017
So new content but no change to the engine ?
Same question...

Jagwah

22 Sep 2017

ryanharlin wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Jagwah wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Wow thought this would be the big one, no curved automation, no video support just more REs and samples?
I'm going to temporarily take off my Propellerhead name tag and go back to being the Reason user I was/am...

Just so we're keeping score the "big one" would be curved automation? It's not two new cutting edge synths that make sounds nobody else makes? It's... curved automation?

I mean, I'll echo my desire for video support too but I use Reason to make music and to that end I always welcome new synths. If I had to choose between Europa & Grain vs. curved automation... I'll happily draw curved lines in Adobe Illustrator and make music with Grain in Reason, thanks. :)
Dude I honestly thought that being Reason 10 we would have a huge update that involved lots of core upgrades that people are always screaming for. Don't get me wrong, these devices look incredible and considering the length of time from the last upgrade I am impressed with what you have come up with and I am also aware I haven't even got my cursor on them yet, and it looks like great value for money. You guys do always impress me beyond belief and I'm sure you have done it again, I just thought R10 would bring with it something besides devices and samples.

On another note it's really nice to hear you have a desire for video support, I feel despair a lot of the time about that, I want it in Reason so very much :'(

Loque

22 Sep 2017

Does anyone noticed, that Europa doesnt has a "Load Wavetable" button?

Oh, just realised, that you can draw it in :o :thumbs_up: I miss that feature so much in eXpanse...
Attachments
europa.jpg
europa.jpg (149.44 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
Reason12, Win10

gdm41

22 Sep 2017

Quite disappointing for me. With the VST support i dont need more instruments and sounds. I´d hoped for a complete gui/seq overhaul. I´m not into synths and thor and subtractor ist enough for me and i already own radical piano (do i get a cashback? :)). If the price ist below 100€ ill buy it anyway.
Start lending-> http://www.kiva.org

CaliforniaBurrito

22 Sep 2017

Still doesn't brew beer for me. Sorry not for me. Very disappointed.

xylyx

22 Sep 2017

Provided they are still planning to fix the VST issues in 9.5, then I think I will be skipping this version - as excellent as the new Grain synth looks, I would rather have seen improvements to the core of the program like the sequencer.

davidvilla

22 Sep 2017

This is like Britney Spears releasing a new album and it consisting of 11 new remixes of Oops I Did It Again.

stp2015

22 Sep 2017

Tumble wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I'm sorry, but this is tone deaf. Why are you guys prioritizing instruments when basic workflow needs to be adressed?

This is getting to the point where PH are like Trump - you know the sensible pivot is never coming.
Before VST in Reason, there used to be lots and lots of user requests for Updates to Thor , Malstrom etc. I think maybe this is why they are adding new Synths and new sounds now.

Back in the day, Reason was attractive b/c it offered a complete production studio for relatively little money. With these new devices (and including Synchronous +RP), it probably is a VERY attractive starter package once again. 369 and you are good to go.

Now on the other hand, all those who have tons of rack extensions and tons of VSTs (not me), may be less excited about this.

WongoTheSane

22 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Does anyone noticed, that Europa doesnt has a "Load Wavetable" button?

Oh, just realised, that you can draw it in :o :thumbs_up: I miss that feature so much in eXpanse...
In the same way, it doesn't have Audio In. That's because the upper third of the device is generated in one go (à la additive), as opposed to successive operations from a starting waveform (à la subtractive), with modifiers, filters, harmonics and unison being just one engine.

per-anders

22 Sep 2017

The new synth looks cool. The other stuff seems like novelty-ware and "quick throw in something in we've already made to make it seem like a bigger update".

So here's my thinking - Reason 9.5 added a bunch of core features. Maybe the Props are going to a Tick/Tock cycle, with the major number updates being content and rack extensions, and the .5 updates being workflow and core updates.

If that's the case I'm totally down with this. Also if they have their core team busy working on some huge workflow update and this is their way of getting breathing space to allow that to happen, this could mean good things.

My biggest fear is if the core team have abandoned ship and now we're just getting rushed updates with quick content filler for the new boss, rather than waiting to simply release stuff when it's ready. I love using Reason and really hope everything is good in Props land.

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

22 Sep 2017

Jagwah wrote:
22 Sep 2017
On another note it's really nice to hear you have a desire for video support, I feel despair a lot of the time about that, I want it in Reason so very much
As Propellerhead's in-house video guy... you better believe I want it. :)

craven

22 Sep 2017

ryanharlin wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Jagwah wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Wow thought this would be the big one, no curved automation, no video support just more REs and samples?
I'll happily draw curved lines in Adobe Illustrator and make music with Grain in Reason, thanks. :)
hey Ryan,

I think it was very smart to give VST with Reason 9.5 instead of making VST the big thing of Reason 10. I very much prefer the new synths and it's a killer package. Instead of making it a RE bundle, it becomes a new standard for updated Reason owners, nice! Adding synths that I bought already and no major overhaul of the sequencer etc. is taken with a grain of salt, but GRAIN makes up for that alone. I'm so hyped for it! Pretty sure you'll surprise with more stuff. Congrats on the new version and good luck with the beta! (PS: fun video as always!)
:ugeek:

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

22 Sep 2017

ryanharlin wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Jagwah wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I'm going to temporarily take off my Propellerhead name tag and go back to being the Reason user I was/am...

Just so we're keeping score the "big one" would be curved automation? It's not two new cutting edge synths that make sounds nobody else makes? It's... curved automation?

I mean, I'll echo my desire for video support too but I use Reason to make music and to that end I always welcome new synths. If I had to choose between Europa & Grain vs. curved automation... I'll happily draw curved lines in Adobe Illustrator and make music with Grain in Reason, thanks. :)
Congrats on the update!

But with all due respect, Ryan, what's wrong with wanting curved automation?

With your Propellerhead hat off, as a Reason user only, remember, seeing the Reason 10 announcement learning about it all for the very time, and not being part of its development, how, exactly, do you know if the synths are cutting edge and make sounds nobody else makes? Those are pretty bold claims, because as a Reason user—not a PH employee, nor as a test pilot—you won't have used them, will you? In which case, Jagwah's opinion that he'd like to see something other than just content is quite valid, don't you think?

New content is cool and I look forward forward to playing with new stuff, as, Jagwah probably is too!

But crucially, if all you see in Reason users is a desire for a new synths, which existing users may or may not need, and not consider the workflow enhancements a great swathe of people have asked for for many years, for those people the lack of workflow enhancements might be the more pressing issue, don't you think? Appreciating everyone want different things or has different priorities, it's a tough balancing act for PH, for sure, but you choose to sneer at them with comments about Illustrator that are beyond the merely disingenuous, and come across as very dismissive.

PH have to choose between Europa and Grain vs curved automation or other major enhancements?

Someone could choose to implement both, but the product manager prefers easy headlines like synths, sample-players and other content, and forgetting or failing to understand that it's the workflow that makes a product more or less usable, not its content.

And maybe, as there often is, there are fixes and improvements that haven't been announced yet, in the past they've tended not to be published upfront, but maybe we can assume curved automation isn't that on that list ;) .

More interesting though, it's very telling that there is still no news about high resolution support. Where Jagwah's priority is automation curves, personally, I thought hi-res would be the killer USP of Reason 10, because it's so desperately long overdue. Has no-one at PH ever used Reason on a 1080p 13" laptop, or a 4K screen?

Grain and Europa? Again, that's cool. But regular RE synth purchasers will already more than likely have Proton and/or Expanse. OK they might end up being quite different from the new synths, but from merely a slick advert and a couple of sound demos, I'm not sure these new additions are necessarily the big deal you think they should be to all users.
Last edited by JiggeryPokery on 22 Sep 2017, edited 2 times in total.

stp2015

22 Sep 2017

Spot on , Jiggery!

Rick75

22 Sep 2017

Goodbye wrote:
22 Sep 2017
They are saying 'The Biggest Update. Ever', when is is clearly not even close. This is the Trump way, say the exact opposite of the truth but do it really really loud and with conviction.
You nailed it - that is exactly what they are doing.

By calling it the biggest update ever I think they are hoping nobody will notice it's actually the smallest update ever for a major point update :)

davidvilla

22 Sep 2017

craven wrote:
22 Sep 2017

hey Ryan,

I think it was very smart to give VST with Reason 9.5 instead of making VST the big thing of Reason 10. I very much prefer the new synths and it's a killer package. Instead of making it a RE bundle, it becomes a new standard for updated Reason owners, nice! Adding synths that I bought already and no major overhaul of the sequencer etc. is taken with a grain of salt, but GRAIN makes up for that alone. I'm so hyped for it! Pretty sure you'll surprise with more stuff. Congrats on the new version and good luck with the beta! (PS: fun video as always!)
Lol why don’t you also reveal your Propellerhead name.

Aquila

22 Sep 2017

To be honest I was kinda hoping for more under the hood improvements rather than new stock devices. I'll still be checking it out though.

Rectro

22 Sep 2017

Im writing this after the first 10 min of reviewing the video so my comments are based off that. Im a little confused to say the least.

Reason just got VST, everybody goes out to get the latest VST synths to fill their sound literary, then Reason 10 is focusing on synths?

I own Synchronous, and Radical piano, I have Spire, Onmisphere, and other synths so what I need is enhancements in the sequencer, and sound editing, updates to comp mode, scrub audio, things like that, so hope that this is not all there is to Reason 10 as for me there is no reason to upgrade based on this. As for people I know that use reason as a DAW no focusing on synths but to record live instruments and vocals, I see nothing at all that will enhance their workflow.

Dan

Goodbye

22 Sep 2017

ryanharlin wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Jagwah wrote:
22 Sep 2017

How about you put the name tag back on and explain what the thinking is behind this update. Why ignore all the problems with the engine itself and ignore all the feature requests? Literally all of them? Why market it as the biggest release ever when that is quite clearly not true? I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

Loque

22 Sep 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
22 Sep 2017
ryanharlin wrote:
22 Sep 2017

Congrats on the update!

But with all due respect, Ryan, what's wrong with wanting curved automation?

With your Propellerhead hat off, as a Reason user only, remember, seeing the Reason 10 announcement learning about it all for the very time, and not being part of its development, how, exactly, do you know if the synths are cutting edge and make sounds nobody else makes? Those are pretty bold claims, because as a Reason user—not a PH employee, nor as a test pilot—you won't have used them, will you? In which case, Jagwah's opinion that he'd like to see something other than just content is quite valid, don't you think?

New content is cool and I look forward forward to playing with new stuff, as, Jagwah probably is too!

But crucially, if all you see in Reason users is a desire for a new synths, which existing users may or may not need, and not consider the workflow enhancements a great swathe of people have asked for for many years, for those people the lack of workflow enhancements might be the more pressing issue, don't you think? Appreciating everyone want different things or has different priorities, it's a tough balancing act for PH, for sure, but you choose to sneer at them with comments about Illustrator that are beyond the merely disingenuous, and come across as very dismissive.

PH have to choose between Europa and Grain vs curved automation or other major enhancements?

Someone could choose to implement both, but the product manager prefers easy headlines like synths, sample-players and other content, and forgetting or failing to understand that it's the workflow that makes a product more or less usable, not its content.

And maybe, as there often is, there are fixes and improvements that haven't been announced yet, in the past they've tended not to be published upfront, but maybe we can assume curved automation isn't that on that list ;) .

More interesting though, it's very telling that there is still no news about high resolution support. Where Jagwah's priority is automation curves, personally, I thought hi-res would be the killer USP of Reason 10, because it's so desperately long overdue. Has no-one at PH ever used Reason on a 1080p 13" laptop, or a 4K screen?

Grain and Europa? Again, that's cool. But regular RE synth purchasers will already more than likely have Proton and/or Expanse. OK they might end up being quite different from the new synths, but from merely a slick advert and a couple of sound demos, I'm not sure these new additions are necessarily the big deal you think they should be to all users.
The Combinator in the video looked extremely sharp...maybe it was just rendered and not recorded...dunno...
Reason12, Win10

demt

22 Sep 2017

i suppose this means reinstalling all my vst,s there again it may just go in over the top??? anybody Know?
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

22 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
22 Sep 2017
The Combinator in the video looked extremely sharp...maybe it was just rendered and not recorded...dunno...
lol, you're making me want to check , but I don't think I could sit through that advert twice. Less is more!
Last edited by JiggeryPokery on 22 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

22 Sep 2017

For interested beta testers or just to check the screenshots: https://www.propellerheads.se/de/reason/new
Reason12, Win10

platzangst

22 Sep 2017

I like how the last couple times Reason updated half the threads would be "but where's the new synths? PH are just trying to get people to buy REs! They don't care about what the users really want!"

CaliforniaBurrito

22 Sep 2017

platzangst wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I like how the last couple times Reason updated half the threads would be "but where's the new synths? PH are just trying to get people to buy REs! They don't care about what the users really want!"
This!

• Information