Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
scratchnsnifff

22 Sep 2017

mfavila wrote:
22 Sep 2017
ryanharlin wrote:
I'm going to temporarily take off my Propellerhead name tag and go back to being the Reason user I was/am...

Just so we're keeping score the "big one" would be curved automation? It's not two new cutting edge synths that make sounds nobody else makes? It's... curved automation?

I mean, I'll echo my desire for video support too but I use Reason to make music and to that end I always welcome new synths. If I had to choose between Europa & Grain vs. curved automation... I'll happily draw curved lines in Adobe Illustrator and make music with Grain in Reason, thanks. :)
Haha somehow I respect you more for just coming in and responding. I would be looking for more workflow improvements too, but I appreciate that Props is making a more complete package for 10.

www.atomsapart.com
A question for Ryan, does the team at PH realize how time consuming it is to program a synth like synthmaster 2.8 In a combinator??? Basically saying

Combinator 2 combinator 2 combinator 2 combinator 2 combinator 2 combinator 2

Can't wait to try Europa! It looks like parsecs evil step brother twice removed and in cahoots with expanse
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Rick75

22 Sep 2017

Creativemind wrote:
22 Sep 2017
People who already own Synchronous and Radical Piano should get a reduction. €20 off for each.
YES! I would be happy to pay for a 9.5 to 10 upgrade if they recognised this. Valve does it with Steam when you buy a game bundle that includes stuff you already own. It's much fairer on the customer. I have asked PH to do this for their rig bundles in the past. Nobody wants to pay for what they already own!

chimp_spanner

22 Sep 2017

I’ll say this straight off the bat; of course there are some features I’d still really like to see (folders are probably at the very top of that list so, not talking about huge things). And I hope that 10.5 will be the workflow update.

But at the same time...super excited. For all the REs/VSTs I have, I still regularly fall back on the old stock devices. They just have that PH feel that got me hooked from version 1. So to me it feels like they’re going back to what made Reason awesome in the first place; its devices.

Now that’s not just me fanboying. Of course of course of course, new combinator, automation curves, folders, better VST performance - all totally valid requests. But I’m hopeful. There may very well be under the hood tweaks (if I get on the beta hopefully I’ll find out!). And when was the last time we had two updates so close together? 10.5 may not be that far away :)

FLVZ

22 Sep 2017

per-anders wrote:
22 Sep 2017
So here's my thinking - Reason 9.5 added a bunch of core features. Maybe the Props are going to a Tick/Tock cycle, with the major number updates being content and rack extensions, and the .5 updates being workflow and core updates.

If that's the case I'm totally down with this. Also if they have their core team busy working on some huge workflow update and this is their way of getting breathing space to allow that to happen, this could mean good things.
This seems to make more sense for me. You have to be honest and think like:
1) Props probably wanted VSTs to be released with R10 BUT, if things didn't go smoothly the upgrade would look like an ugly preposition for new users; therefore they release VSTs with 9.5 and get seasoned R9 users to play with VSTs and submit bugs to help smoothen their functionality whilst also filling the internet with content of users using VSTs in Reason.
2) This means R10 is mainly geared towards newer users and trying to acquire a stronger market share in the DAW business; thus meaning building newer modernised sound devices is more attractive than updating older devices, because it means users get both old and new which again is much more attractive to newer users.
3) I don't doubt for a second that there will be workflow enhancements. The first thing to take into account is that this is an inital announcement, I expect bits and bobs to trickle through but these workflow enhancements maybe take place as updates for R9.5 although I'm sure support will soon be cut off.

I don't really need more synths but if I was asked to pay £129 for 6 new top quality instruments. THIS IS A BLOODY GOOD PRICE!!

deepndark

22 Sep 2017

deepndark wrote:
22 Sep 2017
deepndark wrote:
22 Sep 2017

:thumbs_up:
Maybe Reason 10 should be the last Reason version named 'REASON'. The next Reason should be called "Reason Experience". We could keep Reason 10 installed also. Why do we need Synchronous, Matrix, Alligator, Players etc. as different devices? It feels like all these do something similiar. Morph these devices together and make them ONE!
Another example: Kong is a monster but it has no step-sequencer. Redrum is simple, but make a new device that is more simple than KONG. The biggest ticket for The PROPS is making a new Reason, out of the old IMHO.
This would also allow The Props to ADD all the missing (alltime) worthful suggestions as well. This would be like Reason would born a kid, that is so talented and cool. A new beginning to all the Reasonists also feels good. Maybe I should enter the Reason Pilots team?
I have also been thinking about the same "Race" concept. If Reason Experience would also get a new generation of Rack Extensions that have similiar functionality & visuality, you'd learn one device and then already know how all the other REs function as well. As Example: Rob Papen's Predator would look like that race. This generation could be called "Rack Extension EX" - so soonish all the different RE devices would be same in functionality but unique in SOUND.
Last edited by deepndark on 22 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

sonicbyte

22 Sep 2017

No sequencer updates ?

syrokitty

22 Sep 2017

ryanharlin wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I'm going to temporarily take off my Propellerhead name tag and go back to being the Reason user I was/am...

Just so we're keeping score the "big one" would be curved automation? It's not two new cutting edge synths that make sounds nobody else makes? It's... curved automation?

I mean, I'll echo my desire for video support too but I use Reason to make music and to that end I always welcome new synths. If I had to choose between Europa & Grain vs. curved automation... I'll happily draw curved lines in Adobe Illustrator and make music with Grain in Reason, thanks. :)
I can't imagine there're more pressing issues than these:

Multi-channel MIDI support:
In my experience, Reason's VST code, with regard to efficiency/ CPU performance optimization, is still toward the bottom of the heap. This is all the more reason that simple things such as being able to consolidate instances of Omnisphere/ Kontakt via multi-channel MIDI input, or proper track freezing** shouldn't be over looked.

**Say I have an instance of Repro, Diva, Bazille and Zebra (why not) that I've come to a stopping point in designing the patches -- If I bounce them in place, the devices remain engaged. Sure, they're not actively producing sound, but they are still eating CPU. If Ableton didn't have Track Freeze, I'd be able to simply deactivate the devices upon bouncing in place, but with Reason, there is no such option. If this is simply user-error and I've simply overlooked something more than a hundred times, I implore someone: Please let me know.**

VST Utilities
One devices that are designed to provide such, we need gate and note out.

All of this isn't to say that I doubt that ^these are being addressed, but rather that I've been stewing in my studio waiting for 10 for full VST support, and I find this seeming dodge to be more than a little alarming.

In closing, Grain is a dream. I was just musing (about a month or so ago) over my dream synth being a Granular-Spectral hybrid. I'll hunt down the exchange and post a screenshot to facebook for you to laugh at. :)

Karim
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2017

It reminds me old times, I don't remember if it was Reason 4 or 5 when Pulverizer, Kong and Neptune kicks down! :puf_bigsmile:

I' d sort of reminescence too ..

Faastwalker wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Just reading the 'What's New' page on the Propellerhead site;

https://www.propellerheads.se/en/reason/new

Does look like this is all about the new devices and new sounds. Nothing else is mentioned. The new synths especially look cool. The others I could take or leave. Would be nice to have Radical Piano as I've almost bought this several times. Now it will be included with the upgrade, which is nice. Bit of a kick in the teeth for those that have shelled out $100 for it but there it is.

Does anyone else feel like we've gone back in time a bit here? It's like pre Rack Extension days when Reason upgrades were all about the new devices. Just my two cents worth but I would have much preferred updates an additions to the core program and devices. With the Reason 10 new devices as Rack Extesnions that we could pick and choose.

Will be very happy with Grain, Europa and Radical Piano. Everything else I'm less concerned about but I guess I'll be getting it anyway. Biggest update ever?! This absolutely isn't. This feels more like the Reason 4 update but with Europa and Grain instead of Thor and Kong. Let's do the time warp again!! :-/
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

theshoemaker

22 Sep 2017

F*** i just upgraded a monthe ago :/
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

adfielding

22 Sep 2017

Karim wrote:
22 Sep 2017
It reminds me old times, I don't remember if it was Reason 4 or 5 when Pulverizer, Kong and Neptune kicks down! :puf_bigsmile:
Ditto, this update gives me a nice R4 vibe :)

fwiw - Kong was R5, Pulverizer and Neptune were R6 though I believe Neptune came with Record 1.5 before Reason/Record were integrated in R6.

deepndark

22 Sep 2017

deepndark wrote:
22 Sep 2017
deepndark wrote:
22 Sep 2017

This would also allow The Props to ADD all the missing (alltime) worthful suggestions as well. This would be like Reason would born a kid, that is so talented and cool. A new beginning to all the Reasonists also feels good. Maybe I should enter the Reason Pilots team?
I have also been thinking about the same "Race" concept. If Reason Experience would also get a new generation of Rack Extensions that have similiar functionality & visuality, you'd learn one device and then already know how all the other REs function as well. As Example: Rob Papen's Predator would look like that race. This generation could be called "Rack Extension EX" - so soonish all the different RE devices would be same in functionality but unique in SOUND.
I'm basically thinking how RE developers would build the REs up with LEGOS and plug the codes to these functions then.

Loque

22 Sep 2017

theshoemaker wrote:
22 Sep 2017
F*** i just upgraded a monthe ago :/
I read, the cut is 1.Sept. So if you bought after that, you have a chance for a free update.
Reason12, Win10

AttenuationHz

22 Sep 2017

Radical piano and synchronous is probably owned by 70% or more of users.

What I want in a 'Big Update' is features, features, features, features, features, features....

There is a request thread which we're probably all aware of where in it does it request new instruments because 99.9% is feature requests to make work flow streamlined. If Reason 10, from the looks of the announcement is just adding a few new instruments, I'm extremely disappointed. There is so much more that does need to be added to compete with the world of the VST DAW when you think about it.

I feel like going on a rant about the lack of what the community wants but I really don't need to the responses and disappointing statements speak for themselves.

Upgrade price is pure bullshit also. I always knew VST implementation was rushed now I know why VST could've and should have waited till the Big 10 update. Myself, I have seen more around the forum, upgraded to 9.5 from 8 or lower. Dropping €129 in the same year for 2 updates is really bad form. The cap for the free update price is the 1st of September 2017 not happening props I feel the same way about 10 that I did about the 9.0 update. I wanted to see features added to the sequencer especially and it still desperately needs all the features that the community requested. Guess we will get them eventually but who's willing to pay €774 for those features because that is what's going to happen over the next 6 years. It will be reason 15 and a very pissed off ex-community.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

EnochLight

22 Sep 2017

deepndark wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Why do we need Synchronous, Matrix, Alligator, Players etc. as different devices? It feels like all these do something similiar. Morph these devices together and make them ONE!
While Synchronous, Matrix, Alligator, and Players Dual Arp all carry some feature parity, each one couldn't be more different when it comes down to exactly what they do. You of all people should know this, having been around for some time!? I mean, unless you never really spent any time using each one?? :shock:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

miscend

22 Sep 2017

per-anders wrote:
22 Sep 2017
The new synth looks cool. The other stuff seems like novelty-ware and "quick throw in something in we've already made to make it seem like a bigger update".

So here's my thinking - Reason 9.5 added a bunch of core features. Maybe the Props are going to a Tick/Tock cycle, with the major number updates being content and rack extensions, and the .5 updates being workflow and core updates.

If that's the case I'm totally down with this. Also if they have their core team busy working on some huge workflow update and this is their way of getting breathing space to allow that to happen, this could mean good things.

My biggest fear is if the core team have abandoned ship and now we're just getting rushed updates with quick content filler for the new boss, rather than waiting to simply release stuff when it's ready. I love using Reason and really hope everything is good in Props land.
Thats what I'm thinking. They'll be using point updates to add new features and improvements to the core program itself. Remember the last few versions have had significant point updates.

ZombieFightsShark

22 Sep 2017

Man, I can’t believe some of these reactions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miscend

22 Sep 2017

All told Reason 10.5 should be good. I'll wait for that.

plaamook

22 Sep 2017

Honestly I'm more confused than disappointed. Just seems like a strange move for all the reasons listed here. The last few point updates have been bigger than the full updates though so we'll see I guess. It seems like they got 9.5 and 10 backwards. In terms of biggest anything ever.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Goriila Texas

22 Sep 2017

stp2015 wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Tumble wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I'm sorry, but this is tone deaf. Why are you guys prioritizing instruments when basic workflow needs to be adressed?

This is getting to the point where PH are like Trump - you know the sensible pivot is never coming.
Before VST in Reason, there used to be lots and lots of user requests for Updates to Thor , Malstrom etc. I think maybe this is why they are adding new Synths and new sounds now.

Back in the day, Reason was attractive b/c it offered a complete production studio for relatively little money. With these new devices (and including Synchronous +RP), it probably is a VERY attractive starter package once again. 369 and you are good to go.

Now on the other hand, all those who have tons of rack extensions and tons of VSTs (not me), may be less excited about this.
If they would've added a modern sampler the part in bold would make sense trying to get new users on board. If no significant workflow improvements have been made I most likely won't upgrade. Workflow workflow workflow!!!!

deepndark

22 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
22 Sep 2017
deepndark wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Why do we need Synchronous, Matrix, Alligator, Players etc. as different devices? It feels like all these do something similiar. Morph these devices together and make them ONE!
While Synchronous, Matrix, Alligator, and Players Dual Arp all carry some feature parity, each one couldn't be more different when it comes down to exactly what they do. You of all people should know this, having been around for some time!? I mean, unless you never really spent any time using each one?? :shock:
SKIP...

AttenuationHz

22 Sep 2017

plaamook wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Honestly I'm more confused than disappointed. Just seems like a strange move for all the reasons listed here. The last few point updates have been bigger than the full updates though so we'll see I guess. It seems like they got 9.5 and 10 backwards. In terms of biggest anything ever.
From a business point of view it is very clever. From a consumers its very transparent and anyone who is happy with constantly paying for updates just to get long drawn out features that should be in updates is very gullible. They knew exactly what they we're doing releasing 9.5 with VST's and calling it a free update. They knew those who where not yet on 9 would update straight away and those on 9 would be giving a false sense of gratitude because its what the community asked for 7 years ago. It is a cynical mindset I have granted but its the truth!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Karim
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2017

in maybe six months... maybe "MORE" ( :puf_wink: )
Reason will have 10.5 number version and logic (actually is 10.3 )
maybe will have 10.4 number version?

Next Reason will be more easily searcheable on Google?
or maybe it is a psychological way to beat its enormous Apple’s opponent ?

Coincidences? I don't think .... :puf_bigsmile:
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

AttenuationHz

22 Sep 2017

Karim wrote:
22 Sep 2017
in maybe six months... maybe "MORE" ( :puf_wink: )
Reason will have 10.5 number version and logic (actually is 10.3 )
maybe will have 10.4 number version?

Next Reason will be more easily searcheable on Google?
or maybe it is a psychological way to beat its enormous Apple’s opponent ?

Coincidences? I don't think .... :puf_bigsmile:
Reason is never easily searchable on google you always have to search Propellerhead. Reason 10 search will bounce back results for the reason why Windows 10 is shit more than ever before. :lol:

deepndark

22 Sep 2017

deepndark wrote:
22 Sep 2017
deepndark wrote:
22 Sep 2017

I'm basically thinking how RE developers would build the REs up with LEGOS and plug the codes to these functions then.
I just sent an email to you Props i.e. humanresources@propellerheads.se and would like to join your testpilot-team. I have so many great ideas to tell, thanks!

electrofux

22 Sep 2017

Think it is is a worthy content update - alot of stuff really. And they are faster now with updates. Though most longterm users allways prefer progression in the engine since they have alot of options at hand already. But maybe it was time to give Reason a new flavour.

If they want to make me really really happy they would work on a clip launcher and do something about VST Midi. Imho with every update they should tick off one or two items on the most pressing user wishes.

• Information