Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pquenin

11 Oct 2017

Absolutly nothing new in Reason 10 Essential, really ? Someone must have beta test this thing, so Propellerhead have tell them what to test...

Reminiscence

12 Oct 2017

Just upgraded from ver.4! Was a no-brainer. Though I had to say goodbye to FLstudio in the process. Wasn't productive or at least inspired by it compared to my long hard years on Reason. The only reason I used it was for VST support, but the Props got that covered finally, yet the main selling point was Grain.

scratchnsnifff

13 Oct 2017

pquenin wrote:
11 Oct 2017
Absolutly nothing new in Reason 10 Essential, really ? Someone must have beta test this thing, so Propellerhead have tell them what to test...
Maybe one day they will add malstrom to essentials, I think it’s awesome how essentials has vst support but it’d be very inspiring for new users to get malstrom with essentials. Malstrom is a perfect example of simplicity mixed with power. I can’t even count how many modern sounding growls I can get using malstrom scream and an EQ/notch filter. Main reason why I think it makes sense is because (correct me if I am wrong) the dude who made malstrom doesn’t work for the props anymore so who knows if anyone will ever touch it and update it.
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

EnochLight

13 Oct 2017

Anyone catch the instruments/loop library Livestream on FB today?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Electric-Metal

13 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
13 Oct 2017
Yep, was pretty inspiring. Ryan and Matthias should do a stream producing a full track, would be alot of fun I think.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

AttenuationHz

13 Oct 2017

Electric-Metal wrote:
13 Oct 2017
EnochLight wrote:
13 Oct 2017
Yep, was pretty inspiring. Ryan and Matthias should do a stream producing a full track, would be alot of fun I think.
It would be fun watching them do a one synth challenge or some other challenge outside their comfort zone!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

phaza

13 Oct 2017

Those romplers are just stripped down nn-19s with different skins on them?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2017

phaza wrote:
13 Oct 2017
Those romplers are just stripped down nn-19s with different skins on them?
Kind of, but you can't load different samples for the different velocities in NN19 right? These instruments seems to have several samples for each note. Also you get a delay and reverb.
They are made to be quick and easy. Sometimes simplicity is the best way to go.
I actually prefer to look at these new devices. Visually they look way more appealing than NN19 or NNXT imo.

pquenin

15 Oct 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
13 Oct 2017
pquenin wrote:
11 Oct 2017
Maybe one day they will add malstrom to essentials, I think it’s awesome how essentials has vst support but it’d be very inspiring for new users to get malstrom with essentials. Malstrom is a perfect example of simplicity mixed with power. I can’t even count how many modern sounding growls I can get using malstrom scream and an EQ/notch filter. Main reason why I think it makes sense is because (correct me if I am wrong) the dude who made malstrom doesn’t work for the props anymore so who knows if anyone will ever touch it and update it.
I think they can add the phaser half-unit fx to the Reason Essential arsenal now...

jfrichards

16 Oct 2017

There's a lot of discussion about Reason 10 right now. I posted this as a response to what was a heavily negative comment:

"Europa is like a $29 synth, Pangea, Klang and Humana are like $9 synths, and the sound sets are like $6 refills, so you're getting Grain for like $129 minus $60 = $69. It's actually a good deal, but it's not really a software upgrade."

I would think there will be some actual software upgrades with 10.5, as they have done for years.

jayhosking

16 Oct 2017

Europa is a beaut and certainly worth more than $29, in my opinion. It's a slightly less featured eXpanse, but far easier to use and much friendlier on the CPU. It's pretty fantastic.

hurricane
Competition Winner

16 Oct 2017

This was obviously a plan intended to recruit new users and to entice people who are still on older versions of Reason to upgrade to the absolute latest version. The SDK is constantly improving, and in order to use (and BUY) the latest and greatest REs (like Layers), you need to be on a recent-ish version of Reason. They're all about $$growth$$ now. Nothing wrong with that. I just think they need to lower the price of the razor (Reason is $399, Logic is $199). And in order for their subscription service to really take off, they need to start releasing higher priced REs (and I bet those are definitely coming). So, I am definitely not buying the Reason 10 Rack Extension Package. The initial wow factor of the new synths has worn off, and honestly, I hate to say it, but...after spending a lot of time with them, and comparing them to my favorite VSTs, the new synths are just ok. And I'm not paying $129 for OK.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

stratatonic

16 Oct 2017

jfrichards wrote:
16 Oct 2017
There's a lot of discussion about Reason 10 right now. I posted this as a response to what was a heavily negative comment:

"Europa is like a $29 synth, Pangea, Klang and Humana are like $9 synths, and the sound sets are like $6 refills, so you're getting Grain for like $129 minus $60 = $69. It's actually a good deal, but it's not really a software upgrade."

I would think there will be some actual software upgrades with 10.5, as they have done for years.

And of course, I think we have all come to expect that there are workflow enhancements in every upgrade.

avasopht
Competition Winner

16 Oct 2017

hurricane wrote:
16 Oct 2017
I just think they need to lower the price of the razor (Reason is $399, Logic is $199).
Plus $1000 to buy a Mac.

EnochLight

16 Oct 2017

hurricane wrote:
16 Oct 2017
This was obviously a plan intended to recruit new users and to entice people who are still on older versions of [INSERT ANY SOFTWARE NAME HERE] to upgrade to the absolute latest version.
You've just described the goal of every single software company in existence. I'm not sure why people think Propellerhead would be any different in this regard...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

hurricane
Competition Winner

16 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
16 Oct 2017
hurricane wrote:
16 Oct 2017
This was obviously a plan intended to recruit new users and to entice people who are still on older versions of [INSERT ANY SOFTWARE NAME HERE] to upgrade to the absolute latest version.
You've just described the goal of every single software company in existence. I'm not sure why people think Propellerhead would be any different in this regard...
Sure, but that's ALL they did. "Every single software company in existence" usually update the actual program itself with functionality improvements and new features at the same time. Propellerhead have not done that. That's how they're different.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

16 Oct 2017

avasopht wrote:
16 Oct 2017
hurricane wrote:
16 Oct 2017
I just think they need to lower the price of the razor (Reason is $399, Logic is $199).
Plus $1000 to buy a Mac.
Yeah, those higher priced Macs are lovely!

But you can also get a more than capable mac mini for $499. So Reason 10 and a mac for less than 1K. Logic and a mac mini for even less.

How much did your windows machine cost?
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

EnochLight

16 Oct 2017

hurricane wrote:
16 Oct 2017
Sure, but that's ALL they did. "Every single software company in existence" usually update the actual program itself with functionality improvements and new features at the same time. Propellerhead have not done that. That's how they're different.
Actually, some companies choose to do other things to entice upgrading. In this case, the company in question chose to pack more content into it. Obviously whether or not this is enough to entice someone to upgrade is entirely subjective to one's needs.
hurricane wrote:
16 Oct 2017
But you can also get a more than capable mac mini for $499
Speaking of subjective.. :lol: :lol: :lol: Many would consider a 1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 and
4GB memory anemic for music production.

hurricane
Competition Winner

16 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
16 Oct 2017

Speaking of subjective.. :lol: :lol: :lol: Many would consider a 1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 and
Sure. But it can run Reason with it's factory content and synths just fine, can't it? You could write a billion songs. Perfectly fine for a songwriter and his guitar too. I have a less powerful macbook running Reason and Logic AND Pro Tools and I can do anything I want.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

EnochLight

16 Oct 2017

hurricane wrote:
16 Oct 2017
EnochLight wrote:
16 Oct 2017

Sure. But it can run Reason with it's factory content and synths just fine, can't it? You could write a billion songs. Perfectly fine for a songwriter and his guitar too. I have a less powerful macbook running Reason and Logic AND Pro Tools and I can do anything I want.
Sure. As I said, it's all subjective. ;)

avasopht
Competition Winner

16 Oct 2017

hurricane wrote:
16 Oct 2017
Yeah, those higher priced Macs are lovely!

But you can also get a more than capable mac mini for $499. So Reason 10 and a mac for less than 1K. Logic and a mac mini for even less.

Still, however you drop it, I end up paying an Apple premium for components.

I don't think anyone should price like Apple. Apple make their money selling premium hardware. They could give away all of their software without it making the slightest dent in their revenue. They are being very kind to other DAWs by not doing this. Because they could if they wanted to.

On the other hand aren't updates also the same full price?

Also, I am not spending $500 on a 1.4GHZ i5 with 4GB of RAM. Seriously dude!

sublunar

16 Oct 2017

hurricane wrote:
16 Oct 2017

Do I smell a Mac person trying to insinuate you can get more bang for your buck out of a Mac? LOL This topic has been beat to death everywhere on the internet. PC's are cheaper in general because you can *build your own* for cheap. My last PC build cost me 400 bucks and lasted 10 years. At the time it was comparable in specs to store bought machines costing about $2,000 (Its still going, I only upgraded because all the new stuff coming out that wasn't XP compatible). If you don't know how to computer, and are therefore limited to buying ready made products off the shelf, then you're about even when the subject is top of the line offerings, but you generally can get more powerful PC's for the same cost as, or cheaper than, the mac counterpart.
Last edited by sublunar on 16 Oct 2017, edited 2 times in total.

sublunar

16 Oct 2017

avasopht wrote:
16 Oct 2017
hurricane wrote:
16 Oct 2017
But you can also get a more than capable mac mini for $499.
Also, I am not spending $500 on a 1.4GHZ i5 with 4GB of RAM. Seriously dude!
At first I thought you were joking but then I looked it up and those are the specs. Yeah.... no thanks.

Having skipped v9, I'm excited to upgrade to v10 from 8.3. It's going to be awesome.

hurricane
Competition Winner

16 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
16 Oct 2017

Do I smell a Mac person trying to insinuate you can get more bang for your buck out of a Mac? LOL This topic has been beat to death everywhere on the internet.
Not at all. And yeah let's not turn that into that discussion. I could care less.

I'm not sure how much Logic updates are as Logic X is my first version of Logic, and so far every update has been free. And we've gotten Alchemy in one of those, and that was free (and I think the pre-Apple Alchemy was priced at $249). If Logic 11 is $199, I would have absolutely no problem paying it though. And I am no Logic fanboy believe me, but if their point updates are anything to go by, then Logic 11 should be something very good.

I know a lot of Windows users - particularly the anti-Logic crowd - hold this bitterness towards Apple, but not me. F*ck it- I am benefiting from it so yay Apple, go buy out more synths and give them to me for free. : ) I feel no shame.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Gaja

17 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
hurricane wrote:
16 Oct 2017

Do I smell a Mac person trying to insinuate you can get more bang for your buck out of a Mac? LOL This topic has been beat to death everywhere on the internet. PC's are cheaper in general because you can *build your own* for cheap. My last PC build cost me 400 bucks and lasted 10 years. At the time it was comparable in specs to store bought machines costing about $2,000 (Its still going, I only upgraded because all the new stuff coming out that wasn't XP compatible). If you don't know how to computer, and are therefore limited to buying ready made products off the shelf, then you're about even when the subject is top of the line offerings, but you generally can get more powerful PC's for the same cost as, or cheaper than, the mac counterpart.
Not really arguing against what you say, but getting a selfmade system to work smoothly with heavy load processes such as recording live to video throughan effect chain(while operating more than a hundred audio tracks), requires extensive research. If I don’t work during the time I research components, put the things together, download drivers and protect it from the evil internet, I‘ll easily end up paying as much or more than a mac.
There are companies who specialize in making custom builds for this specific task. You do end up paying slightly less than for apple products, but if there’s no computer to work on and there’s even one day (or a half) you can’t work, it’s going to be the same price.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

• Information