Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Nick Pa

25 Sep 2017

Creativemind wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Nick Pa wrote:
25 Sep 2017

Yes...Pick 1...any 1... but they picked 0 ! :lol:
I know lol! One thing I will say though is...10 isn't out yet so it's all speculation. And there's point versions with 10 to come. I'm in 2 minds to upgrade or not. The new synths look amazing don't get me wrong but I want features and wondering if point versions will give us anything significant.
OH YEA !! I forgot about the point versions...it's been so long. :oops: That would be a well deserved and pleasent surprise to find a few Christmas presents under the tree from PH :P

miscend

25 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned was made in Reason. That's it. Not the earlier stuff. And I'm not even going to get into the "sound" of that specific album, as it has already been notoriously vilified across the internets.

But since you brought them up, let's not forget Liam's true feelings about Reason:

----- "I'm not f**king promoting them (Proppellerheads) anymore!

----- They haven't done anything wrong, I'm just fed up with…you know, I still use it, but I also use Logic, Protools, I use Ableton, I use whatever is there really. Reason is good for getting shit happening quickly, but it doesn't sound like Logic or Protools, they sound better."
Liam is full of shyte. I don't trust anything he says.

For anyone who has any doubts. I've attached a song file of Prodigy's Invaders Must Die fully recreated in Reason version 4.0 using only stock synths and the factory sound bank. It sounds identical. Please check it out.

Original version for comparison
Attachments
InvadersMustDie.zip
(546.64 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

Creativemind

25 Sep 2017

Nick Pa wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Creativemind wrote:
25 Sep 2017

I know lol! One thing I will say though is...10 isn't out yet so it's all speculation. And there's point versions with 10 to come. I'm in 2 minds to upgrade or not. The new synths look amazing don't get me wrong but I want features and wondering if point versions will give us anything significant.
OH YEA !! I forgot about the point versions...it's been so long. :oops: That would be a well deserved and pleasent surprise to find a few Christmas presents under the tree from PH :P
Yeah and I was thinking point versions maybe wouldn't give us anything significant but actually they were pretty good in 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

deepndark

25 Sep 2017

So you want to prove you can redo a song made with the same app as the original?

Nick Pa

25 Sep 2017

Creativemind wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Nick Pa wrote:
25 Sep 2017

Yeah and I was thinking point versions maybe wouldn't give us anything significant but actually they were pretty good in 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3.
And with a little luck, we might get something we are asking for this go around. The jump from 5 to 7 was the biggest for me personally. I would love another winner like that !

Creativemind

25 Sep 2017

123repeater wrote:
25 Sep 2017
As for the players I've seen a lot of people asking about how they didn't upgrade those. I'd be interested to see what else can really be done with that?

If music is Rhythm/Harmony/Melody:

"scales/chords" takes care harmony and elements of melody.
"Dual Arp" takes care of aspects of rhythm and harmony, thus melody
"Note echo" takes care of rhythm and in some cases melody or harmony depending on what you are telling it to do.

Add on top of this alligator for more rhythmic diversity or delays and echoes..

I just don't know what else they could add but I'd love to hear ideas. Cheers.
Yeah I e-mailed the Props asking them to incorporate the idea into the Scales and Chords Player of what I think is called "Chorder" in Cubase. Where you can tell it to play a certain chord up and down your midi controller. Like Deep House uses a lot of jazzy maj7ths and maj9ths etc. So choose Maj9th and it plays a Maj9th of whatever note you're pressing. Press a D4 and it plays a Dmaj9th in the 4th Octave.

EdGrip

25 Sep 2017

HAHA!
Micsend, this is the funnest thing ever! Sounds even more fun if you add a dash of master bus comp!

I thought Invaders Must Die *wasn't* Reason, David?

EdGrip

25 Sep 2017

Creativemind wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Yeah I e-mailed the Props asking them to incorporate the idea into the Scales and Chords Player of what I think is called "Chorder" in Cubase. Where you can tell it to play a certain chord up and down your midi controller. Like Deep House uses a lot of jazzy maj7ths and maj9ths etc. So choose Maj9th and it plays a Maj9th of whatever note you're pressing. Press a D4 and it plays a Dmaj9th in the 4th Octave.
You can do this with Note Echo if you turn the delay time down to zero.

Creativemind

25 Sep 2017

aeox wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Loque wrote:
25 Sep 2017

Sounds pretty good to me. Need to compare the Malstroem with Thor, Nostromo, Red Etch and so on...
Hmm.. will try Thor :D

Also, just realized I spelled Malstrom wrong, but you quoted me before I could edit! :puf_bigsmile:
Yeah a lot of people I notice call it Maelstrom and I always feel the need to correct them but don't as I think it might make me sound a tad petty lol!

QVprod

25 Sep 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Sep 2017
QVprod wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Seems quite a few here are more interested in graphic design than the synths themselves....
Well GUI and workflow matter after all.

Besides it's harder to discuss the synth themselves at this point since we haven't tried them yet.

Many times the demos aren't enough to judge whether you'll like a synth or not, at least in my experience.
stp2015 wrote:
25 Sep 2017
The reason for this is that working with the outdated resolution is becoming less and less pleasant, especially on laptops with high res displays. So, while I like the Synths more than graphics, I do want to see them clearly... :D
Nick Pa wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Yes ! Who cares what they (Synths) can do if we don't even want to look at them or can't see them well enough to use them to their full potential :?:
pjeudy wrote:
25 Sep 2017

Mmm..that might not be it. This thread is 26 pages Long and counting, at this point you can look at it as a Long conversation. And we all know how that can branch off to other topics.

Now it's time to focus on the UI ..lol... since no one can yet talk at length about these devices. I'm sure this thread will branch off yet again within a few post :puf_smile:
Granted I get that we can't test the devices yet, but the level of negative critique of the look of Europa is quite in depth. Looks decent enough and easy to follow to me. As long as it's not ReStereo I don't really see the problem. Perhaps because I'm not using a high res screen it looks clear to me? Sounds counterintuitive but who knows, graphics aren't my forte. Seems to look just as good as any other Reason or RE synth.

Of course Reason's lack of zoom or UI scaling is a different issue.

EdGrip

25 Sep 2017

I think my favourite thing about that Invaders Must Die song file is this:

QVprod

25 Sep 2017

Creativemind wrote:
25 Sep 2017

You can actually already do this with either Note Echo or Chordset https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/chordset/

davidvilla

25 Sep 2017

miscend wrote:
25 Sep 2017

He also said this - you're right he IS full of SHYTE ;) :

"Everything that comes out of Reason sounds really good, it's got this sound, I think - a kind of certain... everything sounds like it "locks in" really good, you know? And that sound we got out of Reason is something that we now and again had to go back to Reason to duplicate; sometimes we'd do a thing in ProTools and it just didn't rock it like Reason did, so we'd take it out of ProTools and try to duplicate it in Reason instead."

http://theprodigy.info/equipment/reason ... 2004.shtml

EdGrip

25 Sep 2017

Nonono, wait, wait, my favourite thing about that songfile is actually this:

XD

miscend

25 Sep 2017

deepndark wrote:
25 Sep 2017
So you want to prove you can redo a song made with the same app as the original?
It is up for debate if the original was made in the same app. According to Davidvilla only the “Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned” album was made in Reason then Liam dumped it because it didn’t sound good as other DAWs.

davidvilla

25 Sep 2017

miscend wrote:
25 Sep 2017
deepndark wrote:
25 Sep 2017
It is up for debate if the original was made in the same app. According to Davidvilla only the “Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned” album was made in Reason then Liam dumped it because it didn’t sound good as other DAWs.
lolololo is that what I said???

EdGrip

25 Sep 2017

Hang on, did you make this, Micsend? Massive respect to you if so.

miscend

25 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017
miscend wrote:
25 Sep 2017

lolololo is that what I said???
You said this "Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned was made in Reason. That's it." Maybe I misunderstood. My bad if I did.

davidvilla

25 Sep 2017

Now, only Liam and his crew know for sure, but the guy who first mentioned prodigy in this thread said that all their early stuff was made in Reason, which is not true based on interviews with the man himself. It seemed like he first used Reason for the AONU album, and then apparentley stopped using it. No one really knows why he stopped using Reason for future albums or if he really did. He did blurt out that anti-reason statement after AONU though. And that's it, no solid evidence, just reasonable speculation.

esselfortium

25 Sep 2017

A Reason-based album released in 2004 was made using Reason 2.5, maybe even 2.0 or earlier. That's before there was Thor, before there was the SSL, before there was audio input or plug-ins, before there was even the Combinator or MClass devices. The software has changed so much that I don't think such old anecdotes are remotely meaningful or relevant to any argument being made in 2017.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Gorgon

25 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Now, only Liam and his crew know for sure, but the guy who first mentioned prodigy in this thread said that all their early stuff was made in Reason, which is not true based on interviews with the man himself. It seemed like he first used Reason for the AONU album, and then apparentley stopped using it. No one really knows why he stopped using Reason for future albums or if he really did. He did blurt out that anti-reason statement after AONU though. And that's it, no solid evidence, just reasonable speculation.
He used Reason as a sketch pad for AONO. He probably just did song ideas and beats and then fleshed them out in the studio. Their real early stuff was all made on Roland W30's.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2017

miscend wrote:
25 Sep 2017

For anyone who has any doubts. I've attached a song file of Prodigy's Invaders Must Die fully recreated in Reason version 4.0 using only stock synths and the factory sound bank. It sounds identical. Please check it out.

Original version for comparison
Tha't pretty cool actually. Arrangement is on point. I just don't agree that it sounds identical, the types of sounds are all there yet it lacks nuances and character. The mix is off as well.

Creativemind

25 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Lol! the main reason their early stuff is not made in Reason is it came out in 91-96. Reason didn't come out till 99.

And it'd AONO. He sequenced and mixed it in Reason and so someone said on this site once, mastered it in Pro Tools.

Creativemind

25 Sep 2017

plasticfractal wrote:
25 Sep 2017
I agree with the comments about the drums. A nice broad selection of usable drum sounds will be a huge plus. I also think they should make a drum machine that takes the best of kong and redrum, and add some features similar to breaktweaker/nerve and they would have a huge hit. As it is there really isn't a "mother of all drum machine" plugin (geist kind of comes close, but is a lot more ambitious than just a drum sequencer).
Now I just looked at a video for Geist on You Tube and if Redrum (and even Kong) had a step sequencer like that...we'd be laughing. We have Propulsion I suppose.

Creativemind

25 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Then Thor comes out and is immediately better than any Reason synth. But outside of the Reason bubble so many here seem to be at home in, Thor was mediocre (compared to some high profile VST plugins).
But I bet is pees on any stock synths in any daw though. ES2 for example in Logic is horrid. Might be very capable but aesthetically awful.

And david...you're comparing VST's with a stock synth if you're expecting Europa to compete with Omnisphere.
Last edited by Creativemind on 25 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

• Information