Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Oquasec

25 Sep 2017

Logic's layout is the reason I never considered getting a mac.
The design for those synths had me looking at subtractor and thinking to myself [That is a world of difference right there]
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Creativemind

25 Sep 2017

EdGrip wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Creativemind wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Yeah I e-mailed the Props asking them to incorporate the idea into the Scales and Chords Player of what I think is called "Chorder" in Cubase. Where you can tell it to play a certain chord up and down your midi controller. Like Deep House uses a lot of jazzy maj7ths and maj9ths etc. So choose Maj9th and it plays a Maj9th of whatever note you're pressing. Press a D4 and it plays a Dmaj9th in the 4th Octave.
You can do this with Note Echo if you turn the delay time down to zero.
Will try this out when I upgrade from 8.3 to 10 in a few weeks.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

davidvilla

25 Sep 2017

Creativemind wrote:
25 Sep 2017
davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Then Thor comes out and is immediately better than any Reason synth. But outside of the Reason bubble so many here seem to be at home in, Thor was mediocre (compared to some high profile VST plugins).
But I bet is pees on any stock synths in any daw though. ES2 for example in Logic is horrid. Might be very capable but aesthetically awful.

And david...you're comparing VST's with a stock synth if you're expecting Europa to compete with Omnisphere.
Ha - the ES2 is "horrid" - why? Because of the interface?? You can't possibly mean sonically, because I've spent considerable time with both Thor and ES2 and it's really no contest. I'm speaking soundwise - the interface for anything just requires some time in order to get used to it. And in the ES2s case, considering it's a very popular synth amongst EDM producers, the interface is definitely not a showstopper for those people at least.

So you're expecting Europa to be in the Reason stock synth category, eh? Shame...

Speaking of stock synths though - the Logic team is known for creating some of the best stock instruments and effects amongst all DAWs. Wait 'till you see what we're getting in V11. ;)

EnochLight

25 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Speaking of stock synths though - the Logic team is known for creating some of the best stock instruments and effects amongst all DAWs. Wait 'till you see what we're getting in V11. ;)
Curious.. you claim Reasoners live in a bubble, then you make claims like the one above. You do realize that OSX only occupies 3.59% of operating systems worldwide , right? I mean, that's one tiny bubble. ;)

Also, not only does the ES2 look like the 90's flat out threw up on it, there's really nothing remarkable about its sound at all.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

davidvilla

25 Sep 2017

You know very well what I mean when I say "Reason bubble".

And 100 million active mac users - sure, call us tiny, I don't care lol.

Also look at me not caring about the ES2 comments, ha.

esselfortium

25 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Also, not only does the ES2 look like the 90's flat out threw up on it, there's really nothing remarkable about its sound at all.
Oh my goodness. I just looked up a picture and it's good to see ScottyM is getting some work...
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

EnochLight

25 Sep 2017

esselfortium wrote:
25 Sep 2017
EnochLight wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Oh my goodness. I just looked up a picture and it's good to see ScottyM is getting some work...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh man, I totally forgot about some of his.. err... creations. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

davidvilla

25 Sep 2017

Holy f*ck, ScottyM!!!

Did we ever find out if he was just f*cking with us?

FiatLux

25 Sep 2017

I am just baffled.
Seems like the Reason 10 upgrade is also out for coffee with Bobby.
:thumbs_down:

EnochLight

25 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Holy f*ck, ScottyM!!!

I seriously hope he was.

Oquasec

25 Sep 2017

I heard the hybrid 3 synth is pretty good.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Leighbeater

26 Sep 2017

esselfortium wrote:
25 Sep 2017
EnochLight wrote:
25 Sep 2017

Hey I haven't been on Reasontalk for a while...just been lurking because of R10

just want to say you have a good memory, I totally forgot about ScottyM, i had a laugh at your comment

OreoSplitter

26 Sep 2017

I was holding off on buying Reason to see if this new investor would change Propellerheads shady practice of stringing it's customer base along with the hopes of providing a better experience while delivering very little compared to the asking price of $130. They started out strong with vst support and then... new sounds. *a lone cricket chirps.* Nope, I guess they are back to milking this old dinosaur for all it's worth. Ehem, all it isn't worth.

I took my time at version 9 studying how PH handles themselves with these "upgrades" because DAWS are not cheap and I had only enough to buy one, my first one. A common reoccurring phrase that might as well be their slogan "I'll just wait for the next update" has a 1 in 10 chance of appearing in any thread regarding Reason. They are taking people for a ride which is a shame because Reason was my first choice and still could be if they ever add REAL updates. I mean v9 was some novelty players and themes. $130 my F'ing azz. Even with vst support, this is simply stuff other daws had and weren't asked to upgrade solely for it. V10 I was hoping for an updated ui, new workflow tweaks, some innovation to see where Reason is heading. Clearly reason is staying in the trash pile content with mediocrity. Thanks for getting my hopes up PH. Lesson learned.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

26 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017
MattiasHG wrote:
25 Sep 2017

I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. :)
Then Thor comes out and is immediately better than any Reason synth. But outside of the Reason bubble so many here seem to be at home in, Thor was mediocre (compared to some high profile VST plugins). And again, I am speaking sonically....sure Thor has loads of "stuff" onboard. But the sound...it's all about the sound.

And then....Parsec? The "king of thin", as I like to call it. Again, yes it is feature rich, but sonically?? No. Unless you are limited to the Reason bubble, then you'd probably think it's amazing. Those of us not limited to the Reason bubble - it's mediocre.

So now these 2 new synths which you are about to release, you say we're going to be surprised. But what are you comparing them to? Reason's internal synths??? What about compared to Omnisphere or Alchemy?? I really don't care if it has a bunch of options, and modules, and parameters, and CV this CV that. I just want it to sound as hi-fi, as expensive, as glossy, rich, thick , wide, as a really high quality synth plugin.
Remember when Thor came out, at that time it was great compared to high profile VST plugins too. :)

Parsec is an additive synthesizer, it has a specific sound because of that reason.

We've of course looked at the market for synths both externally and internally when designing Europa and I think it stacks up extremely well to other "big wavetable" synths on the market. Both sonically and feature-wise. But again, the best way to find out is to try it out once available. :puf_smile:

QVprod

26 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
25 Sep 2017
davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Holy f*ck, ScottyM!!!

I seriously hope he was.
He wasn't. He does redesigns on the Studio One forums now

Hydrosonic

26 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
26 Sep 2017

Remember when Thor came out, at that time it was great compared to high profile VST plugins too. :)

Parsec is an additive synthesizer, it has a specific sound because of that reason.

We've of course looked at the market for synths both externally and internally when designing Europa and I think it stacks up extremely well to other "big wavetable" synths on the market. Both sonically and feature-wise. But again, the best way to find out is to try it out once available. :puf_smile:
Don't tell me let me guess.... It has a patch that talks and says " I am Europa" ? :roll: :oops:

Ahh this Icon on the forum makes a lot more sense now :refillpacker:

Refillpacker.......

Very similar to one of the object icons you have used in your Reason 10 advert. This upgrade feels like a slap in the face to all Reason users, especially for a 10th version, you should all be quite ashamed of yourselfs for this stunt.

davidvilla

26 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
26 Sep 2017

Ok then, so it’s set. Europa vs Serum/Massive.

This should be interesting...

tanni

26 Sep 2017

I love and have all synths that are made by propellerheads. They are so great flexible, sounds great and they are easy to use, and by the way superfriendly to my CPU. Much intelligent coding behind this. Im very curious to the new synths...

Creativemind

26 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Ha - the ES2 is "horrid" - why? Because of the interface?? You can't possibly mean sonically, because I've spent considerable time with both Thor and ES2 and it's really no contest. I'm speaking soundwise - the interface for anything just requires some time in order to get used to it. And in the ES2s case, considering it's a very popular synth amongst EDM producers, the interface is definitely not a showstopper for those people at least.

So you're expecting Europa to be in the Reason stock synth category, eh? Shame...

1) Yeah I can't use ES2 because it looks so awful (or to me it does). Can't spend hours working on or looking at that. I equate it to like driving 2 cars. If they're both the same price, both do 0-60 in the same time and both do the same miles per gallon but one doesn't look as nice as the other nor feels as nice to drive, think most people would buy the one that feels nicer to drive. I can't spend any time on the ES2 cause the GUI is so bad.

2) Yeah and Europa is a stock synth.

3) Yeah we'll see.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

scratchnsnifff

26 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
26 Sep 2017
davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017

Then Thor comes out and is immediately better than any Reason synth. But outside of the Reason bubble so many here seem to be at home in, Thor was mediocre (compared to some high profile VST plugins). And again, I am speaking sonically....sure Thor has loads of "stuff" onboard. But the sound...it's all about the sound.

And then....Parsec? The "king of thin", as I like to call it. Again, yes it is feature rich, but sonically?? No. Unless you are limited to the Reason bubble, then you'd probably think it's amazing. Those of us not limited to the Reason bubble - it's mediocre.

So now these 2 new synths which you are about to release, you say we're going to be surprised. But what are you comparing them to? Reason's internal synths??? What about compared to Omnisphere or Alchemy?? I really don't care if it has a bunch of options, and modules, and parameters, and CV this CV that. I just want it to sound as hi-fi, as expensive, as glossy, rich, thick , wide, as a really high quality synth plugin.

I am sure hoping such a worthy device has cv in/outs and hopefully a audio input for that unique filter that would be the icing on the cake, but honestly il take it as is because this synth alone is something Iv been bugging you guys about making :D
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Zac

26 Sep 2017

Has the beta started yet?

chaosroyale

26 Sep 2017

Hey I'm as disappointed as anyone by 10 but some of this hyperbole is getting out of control.

Thor was more powerful than most VST synths by a country mile when it was released, and stayed a top synth right up until Massive started the supersynth wavetable wars.

Omnisphere by itself costs more than Reason(!). Omnisphere is more powerful a single 10 year old synth in Reason, but the Reason rack is much, much more powerful than Omnisphere and costs less.

For a sound designer Reason is cheaper and more powerful than any single VST synth I can think of (caveat: although a lot of people rave about Avenger, I haven't used it so I can't talk about that).

Maybe Europa will be awesome, maybe it will be just ok. We don't know yet so it's kind of pointless speculating.

What IS true is that for Pro use, Reason needs optimization of VST implementation and a few workflow enhancements, *and we all know this, as do the developers*. Whether they want to work on that is up to them. Whether we support their updates is up to us. Saying that is not "dissing" Reason, it's simply stating the obvious.

EdGrip

26 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
26 Sep 2017
...vs Serum/Massive...
...Omnisphere...
Which? Massive is over a decade old, whereas Serum is basically the current no.1 CPU-munching EDM ubersynth.
It does look like they both have a similar intent to Europa, though, whereas Omnisphere is a huge sample-filled do-everything sound-design monster that costs as much as a full DAW, and I don't think has the same intent as Europa.

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2017

Zac wrote:
26 Sep 2017
Has the beta started yet?
Probably

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

26 Sep 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
26 Sep 2017
I am sure hoping such a worthy device has cv in/outs and hopefully a audio input for that unique filter that would be the icing on the cake, but honestly il take it as is because this synth alone is something Iv been bugging you guys about making :D
It has CV ins and outs, absolutely. An audio input to the spectral filter is not possible however, due to how the synth works. Dynamic wavetable means it generates wavetables on the fly based on your settings. The spectral filter is also generating that wavetable, so you can't route other audio in to it. :)

• Information