Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Goodbye

09 Oct 2017

Reason used to feel retro, now it feels dated.
Nailed it.

AttenuationHz

09 Oct 2017

Goodbye wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Reason used to feel retro, now it feels dated.
Nailed it.
I'll hazard a guess you are both still on old versions! :lol:
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Goodbye

09 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Goodbye wrote:
09 Oct 2017

Nailed it.
I'm on 9.5. But other than a bit of lipstick, it might as well be 6.

ravasb

09 Oct 2017

Goodbye wrote:
09 Oct 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
09 Oct 2017

I am on 9.5.

EnochLight

09 Oct 2017

Goodbye wrote:
09 Oct 2017
You think 9.5 is just 6 with a bit of lipstick? :roll:

Seriously, I can't even.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ravasb

09 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Goodbye wrote:
09 Oct 2017

Seriously, I can't even.
I think there have been improvements, since 6, but not a lot of innovation that is unique to Reason. Some of it was really just catching up to other DAWS. The players for example seem to be based on the midi effects from Cubase and Sonar. An example of innovation was the combinator, but because they are not stackable, they are less useful than comparable devices in Ableton Live and Bitwig.

QVprod

09 Oct 2017

ravasb wrote:
09 Oct 2017
EnochLight wrote:
09 Oct 2017

Seriously, I can't even.
I think there have been improvements, since 6, but not a lot of innovation that is unique to Reason. Some of it was really just catching up to other DAWS. The players for example seem to be based on the midi effects from Cubase and Sonar. An example of innovation was the combinator, but because they are not stackable, they are less useful than comparable devices in Ableton Live and Bitwig.
You can only innovate but so much. After while everything is simply a spin off of an existing idea. Heck, that's what most "innovations" are anyway. However even many of the DAW catch-up features added are different and sometimes better than what's available in other DAWs. Reason remains unique in that regard.

EnochLight

09 Oct 2017

ravasb wrote:
09 Oct 2017
I think there have been improvements, since 6, but not a lot of innovation that is unique to Reason. Some of it was really just catching up to other DAWS.
That in itself doesn't really equate to what goodbye was stating, though (in regards to this, innovation is superfluous). We're talking about flat out features here - and there are a TON in 9.5 compared to 6.0. To say it's just "lipstick" is not only being disingenuous, it's trolling. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ravasb

09 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
09 Oct 2017
ravasb wrote:
09 Oct 2017
I think there have been improvements, since 6, but not a lot of innovation that is unique to Reason. Some of it was really just catching up to other DAWS.
That in itself doesn't really equate to what goodbye was stating, though (in regards to this, innovation is superfluous). We're talking about flat out features here - and there are a TON in 9.5 compared to 6.0. To say it's just "lipstick" is not only being disingenuous, it's trolling. ;)
I'm not the one who used the lipstick analogy. I am not trolling, if you read my full post.

EnochLight

09 Oct 2017

ravasb wrote:
09 Oct 2017
I'm not the one who used the lipstick analogy. I am not trolling, if you read my full post.
That wasn't directed towards you; sorry it came off that way! :)

ravasb

09 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
09 Oct 2017
ravasb wrote:
09 Oct 2017
That wasn't directed towards you; sorry it came off that way! :)
No problem. Thanks.

Zerosity

09 Oct 2017

steff3 wrote:
07 Oct 2017
EnochLight wrote:
07 Oct 2017
]

This is easily addressed - right now - using your OS zoom function, or increasing the app display size. On Windows, right-click your desktop and select "Display Settings". Then scroll down to "Scale and layout" and select the drop-down list under "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" and select 125% or larger. I find that Reason looks great at 125% on my 27" 1080p panels, though YMMV. On OSX, I can't remember the process but it's there. Or you can use OSX's built-in zoom, which is fantastic.
Would be much more convenient if one could scale reason only - no need to scale the whole desktop experience ....
but better than nothing I guess....

best
If you're on Win 8 and above, you can use Windows Key with the Plus key to open the magnifier. Make sure magnifier view is set to full desktop. Windows Key with Plus Key will zoom further, Windows Key with Minus Key will zoom out, and Window Key with Escape will close the magnifier.

Enjoy.

MirEko

10 Oct 2017

Just got the update for $94.. R10 here we come :mrgreen:
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

MirEko

10 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
07 Oct 2017
Lorebrand wrote:
07 Oct 2017
The only problem is, my eyes aren't as good as they once were when I used Reason 3 - 7, and on my 21" 1080P monitors, it's nearly impossible to read the instruments in the rack. I was hoping for an FL Studio style Vector remake of the interface as much as everyone else. Maybe 10.5? *crosses fingers*
This is easily addressed - right now - using your OS zoom function, or increasing the app display size. On Windows, right-click your desktop and select "Display Settings". Then scroll down to "Scale and layout" and select the drop-down list under "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" and select 125% or larger. I find that Reason looks great at 125% on my 27" 1080p panels, though YMMV. On OSX, I can't remember the process but it's there. Or you can use OSX's built-in zoom, which is fantastic.
This is not a real solution... Not unless you only use Reason on your windows machine

stephensmattlee

10 Oct 2017

Hate to say it but the only way I’d pay to upgrade to v10 is if it comes up on amazon for £50 again. Guess there’s no one forcing me to upgrade but do find v10 quite underwhelming. Looking at it like a few rack extensions at a discounted price is the only way I could justify the upgrade.
That said I’m sure they’ll add a lot more value to it in the “point” updates, as the Props tend to usually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QVprod

10 Oct 2017

MirEko wrote:
10 Oct 2017
EnochLight wrote:
07 Oct 2017

This is not a real solution... Not unless you only use Reason on your windows machine
As stated above. You can zoom in on Macs too. May not be perfect but it is a solution for both platforms.

Reasonable man

10 Oct 2017

I'm i the position where there is real value in upgrading to R10 from R8 but most here are on R9 and i'd agree there is a steep price to upgrade again in just 5 months.
I watched the facebook feed of the Players in R9 last night along with some of the new added soundbanks that came and maybe i'm being nieve here but i was blown away by the potential of the Players and the vast musical landscapes that they open up especially by using all 3 together in combinators and the automation potential.
For those not comming from a musical theory backround these things give you instant Steve Reich/Philip Glass and those guys would have to work/write for hours/days weeks to achieve the kind of musical complexity that the palyers (especially the dual apegiator) can achieve in minutes.
Whatever about workflow Reason musically has morphed into a beast of creativity unlike any Daw out there. You simply cannot write the range musical genres anywhere else especially if you are coupling that with the sheer experimental potential. I honestly dont believe that there is any new or groundbreaking music (electronic or otherwise) i will listen to in in the next few months/years where i can say "I can easily acieve that in Reason 10 ..even with the stock devices'

EnochLight

10 Oct 2017

MirEko wrote:
10 Oct 2017
Nice score! Where did you land it for $94??!

EnochLight

10 Oct 2017

Reasonable man wrote:
10 Oct 2017
I watched the facebook feed of the Players in R9 last night along with some of the new added soundbanks that came and maybe i'm being nieve here but i was blown away by the potential of the Players and the vast musical landscapes that they open up especially by using all 3 together in combinators and the automation potential.
You're not being naive at all - you're spot on. The thing is, Players are essentially MIDI-FX (but Reason's built-in versions). MIDI-FX have long been available in other DAW, and while one could argue that they're not innovative, they are certainly powerful, and being stock devices in Reason make them even more powerful for Reasoners. Coming from 8 to 10 is going to be amazing. Coming from any version prior to 8 to 10 is simply a no-brainer! Coming from 9.5 to 10 is certainly more problematic, though still a lot is on offer IMHO.

illone

10 Oct 2017

Maybe it's me, but Reason 10 at $129 bucks is an awesome deal. Sure I was hoping for changes to the core of Reason, things that can't be add with Rack Extensions and/or refill packs, namely Track Freezing.

But for what it is, new sounds, it delivers in spades.

If you bought or considered buying eXpanse for $99+, or Serum for $150+, then Reason + Europa is already under priced for you.

And if you've been intimidated by bouncing and manipulating audio in the past, that gate is being blown away by Grain.

That plus the added samples, and the 3 new sample based devices.

Yes, the core hasn't changed. The one thing that only propellerheads can do - update the core - they've chosen not to do. That sucks. But for $129, what we are getting - to me - is worth every penny.

-illone

EnochLight

10 Oct 2017

illone wrote:
10 Oct 2017
Maybe it's me, but Reason 10 at $129 bucks is an awesome deal.
Judging from the buzz, looks like the majority agree with you:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7503221&hilit=poll

MirEko

10 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
10 Oct 2017
MirEko wrote:
10 Oct 2017
Nice score! Where did you land it for $94??!
Ebay :cool:

Eisenspalter

11 Oct 2017

Is it right, that in Reason 10 Essential nothing, really nothing is new?

Goodbye

11 Oct 2017

Eisenspalter wrote:
11 Oct 2017
Yep. Pretty much the same as the full version.

EnochLight

11 Oct 2017

Goodbye wrote:
11 Oct 2017
Eisenspalter wrote:
11 Oct 2017
Yep. Pretty much the same as the full version.
Except that in the full version, you get a brand new synth, a brand new sampler, 3 new rompler instruments, and 3+ gigs of sound content. So, there's that. ;)

• Information