Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

19 Oct 2017

sulin00 wrote:
19 Oct 2017
hurricane wrote:
16 Oct 2017

Sure. But it can run Reason with it's factory content and synths just fine, can't it? You could write a billion songs. Perfectly fine for a songwriter and his guitar too. I have a less powerful macbook running Reason and Logic AND Pro Tools and I can do anything I want.
Beginners do not know when performace issues pop up. Once you settle your own work-flow and you know what to do with your software, you can use slow computer with the limitations which you are aware of... 'Able' is not 'Sufficient'.
One could easily argue that Reason's recommended minimum hardware specs - at minimum - is a "multi-core processor". If people can get work done on a "dual-core", then more power to them, but I would never settle for minimum hardware specs for anything - whether it be music production, video production, or gaming. Just my 2 cents.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

sublunar

19 Oct 2017

sulin00 wrote:
19 Oct 2017
hurricane wrote:
16 Oct 2017

Sure. But it can run Reason with it's factory content and synths just fine, can't it? You could write a billion songs. Perfectly fine for a songwriter and his guitar too. I have a less powerful macbook running Reason and Logic AND Pro Tools and I can do anything I want.
Beginners do not know when performace issues pop up. Once you settle your own work-flow and you know what to do with your software, you can use slow computer with the limitations which you are aware of... 'Able' is not 'Sufficient'.
Exactly.

This is my last comment in this thread regarding this or that brand's computer performance, but I just wanted to point out:

When I built my main production desktop TEN years ago, it was a dual core AMD 5600+ (2.8 GHZx2). And I spent $414.29 for the CPU/Motherboard/Memory/Case/Power supply. Ten years ago! (9/25/2007) For less than the mac mini TODAY and twice as powerful! LOL. And it's still going strong. Shortly before i retired it, I replaced the dual core with a QUAD core CPU which I bought used for like 30 bucks. Popped it in the same motherboard and not a single issue. Running like a champ.

Lastly, I sincerely doubt you could have a machine of any manufacturer, PC or Apple, running a "less powerful" machine than the mac mini (1.4ghz dual core 4gb ram) and be able to run Reason/Logic "AND Pro tools" and be able to do "anything you want". You are absolutely going to be limited by that hardware.

Creativemind

19 Oct 2017

6 days to go.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

19 Oct 2017

ravasb wrote:
09 Oct 2017
The players for example seem to be based on the midi effects from Cubase and Sonar.
More like a rip-off of Cthulhu.

Creativemind

19 Oct 2017

avasopht wrote:
16 Oct 2017
hurricane wrote:
16 Oct 2017
I just think they need to lower the price of the razor (Reason is $399, Logic is $199).
Plus $1000 to buy a Mac.
Good point.

sublunar

19 Oct 2017

Creativemind wrote:
19 Oct 2017
ravasb wrote:
09 Oct 2017
The players for example seem to be based on the midi effects from Cubase and Sonar.
More like a rip-off of Cthulhu.
Even if the players in Reason are based on them and the Props never would have come up with something like it on their own (doubtful), the rest of those DAWs just don't do it for me, as I find them not fun to use and not inspiring at all.

hurricane
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2017

This mac vs pc talk is pointless.

And no sublunar, I didn't say you can run "anything YOU want" I said I can "run anything I want". And yeah, that's absolutely true.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

etyrnal

19 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
Gaja wrote:
17 Oct 2017

Not really arguing against what you say, but getting a selfmade system to work smoothly with heavy load processes such as recording live to video throughan effect chain(while operating more than a hundred audio tracks), requires extensive research. If I don’t work during the time I research components, put the things together, download drivers and protect it from the evil internet, I‘ll easily end up paying as much or more than a mac.
There are companies who specialize in making custom builds for this specific task. You do end up paying slightly less than for apple products, but if there’s no computer to work on and there’s even one day (or a half) you can’t work, it’s going to be the same price.
For people who don't computer regularly then maybe it requires extensive research but for people who do, it's all pretty basic. If you think your time is too valuable and your cash is not, then by all means stick to your off the shelf computers. But it doesn't take me very long at all to build my system and I spend far less in the process. As far as protecting a computer from the "evil internet", if unplugging an RJ45 is too much work for you then you got other problems.
Because all 36 of your VST plugins which like to phone home, and can't anymore,won't stop You in your tracks when you unplug that cord.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Biolumin3sc3nt

19 Oct 2017

This is starting to get ridiculous - let's start fresh - Reason 10, I'm all about You!

Resonator

20 Oct 2017

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
19 Oct 2017
This is starting to get ridiculous - let's start fresh - Reason 10, I'm all about You!
Yeah seriously... 46 pages of people batch and complaining about the same old bullshit is ridiculous. I'm definitely looking forward to Reason 10.

lakinlakin

20 Oct 2017

I'm thinking which will I load first Europa or Grain?

123repeater

20 Oct 2017

Well I for one am going to upgrade for sure after trying the new stuff

WongoTheSane

20 Oct 2017

123repeater wrote:
20 Oct 2017
youtube
Hilarious idea!! And well done...

Equalizer

20 Oct 2017

Now before I say this I just want ya'll to know that I love Reason and it is my only DAW.

Ok, so the more I preview Reason 10, the more I get irritated. The Props say this is their biggest update, but I can argue that this is the update where they put in the LEAST amount of work.

Example #1 - Europa and Grain

These can easily be one synth with a Thor-like 'pick-your-synthesis type' section in the upper half. This is the equivalent of them having to write a two page essay, but having like a huge title and a sub-title on the first page, increasing the font to 13, using like 7 spaces for an indent, and double spacing all the way. Then them saying "here are TWO pages!"

Example #2 - The 3 World Instruments

Again, cookie-cutter instruments that could have EASILY been one device, the only difference being 3 different sound sources, all brought to you by Soundiron.

Example #3 - The old rack extensions they're giving you for free

I don't even have to explain anything here.

Example #4 - The new "supply" refills

So the samples were all provided by Sample Magic? Well, thank YOU, Sample Magic.

Meanwhile the Props were doing what?

Yeah, I might just keep the new refills after my R10 beta goes away and keep using 9.5 till v10.5 or v11.

esselfortium

20 Oct 2017

Equalizer wrote:
20 Oct 2017

These can easily be one synth with a Thor-like 'pick-your-synthesis type' section in the upper half. This is the equivalent of them having to write a two page essay, but having like a huge title and a sub-title on the first page, increasing the font to 13, using like 7 spaces for an indent, and double spacing all the way. Then them saying "here are TWO pages!"
This argument doesn't make sense. Should one of them have had a different envelope drawer or gone without an included effects section just because the other had it?

Europa and Grain are completely different synths. Comparing them to the oscillator modules in Thor is like saying that you could have combined Subtractor and Malstrom into one box with a switch at the top: I guess you could, but why?? The new synths even already have multiple different oscillator types that you can swap out, just like Thor. (In Grain's case, it even uses the same visual metaphor for this as the one you're referencing from Thor.)

If you're not excited about either of them, okay, but "these two good synths could have been somehow mashed together into one box" isn't much of a reason to consider them devoid of value.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

AttenuationHz

20 Oct 2017

Equalizer wrote:
20 Oct 2017

So the samples were all provided by Sample Magic? Well, thank YOU, Sample Magic.

Yeah, I might just keep the new refills after my R10 beta goes away and keep using 9.5 till v10.5 or v11.
So let me get something straight you're saying you will just hang onto the refills and use them in 9.5.

First off they are not free samples Props more than likely paid Sample Magic a great deal of money to license the samples to them for them to use in Reason 10. The samples are probably spread out across many sample packs released by Sample Magic. You would most likely have to pay more than €129 just to own the rights to use them in your productions. The specially licensed audio files that are in the two drum supplies are a bonus in r10 I have not come across a bad sample. By the sounds of it you have not either but what you're saying is you're going to steal and use the samples illegally. You do realise that right!? Because you can right and do so for free.

I probably won't need to point this out but pirating software or talking about it here is kind of frowned upon to put it nicely! Also you risk your Reason 9.5 license being revoked by illegally using pirated software. I'd check your ToS there!
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 20 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Equalizer

20 Oct 2017

Hi, Attenuation, it’s good that you can’t do ANYTHING if i decide to keep those refills or not. Theyre on my drive just like theyre on yours. I may delete them. But whatever I do, your input is meaningless to me.

esselfortium

20 Oct 2017

Logistics aside, belligerently declaring your intention to steal a commercial product is probably not the best way to make your start on this forum.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Equalizer

20 Oct 2017

Show me where it says you can’t use the new refills in 9.5. Provide me with a link. Or maybe the Props should tell us all here. Waiting...

[Edit by Mod]: No need for a link. The official ReasonTalk position is that you are forbidden to advertise, suggest or condone piracy. Repeated offense after you have been warned will get you banned.

devilfish

20 Oct 2017

New Samples and Instruments are calling Version 10? Ok ! ;)

Maybe we get the SuperCombinator and a HD GUI with 10.5 ?

Note to Track for all RE‘s?
Master Bus Compressor as RE?
MIDI CLOCK out to all Midi-Ports?
Update for RE-Groove Mixer?

Oh and don’t forget, Reason really need‘s a good EQ like Waves Q10 or so..

chaosroyale

21 Oct 2017

Equalizer: I'm one of the "nay-sayers" in regards to Reason 10 so I suppose I should sympathize that you are disappointed and give you the benefit of the doubt...but that rant really could have been thought out better, and gives an unfair impression of R10.

Combining Europa and Grain: any and all virtual synths could be combined into one gigantic clusterfuck, but they each have a distinct feel that makes you reach for the tool that suits your needs at any time. Grain and Europa have distinct "personalities" and seem like maybe the 2 things in R10 that will be genuinely new and useful for everyone - there's a saying about babies and bathwater.

World Instruments: yeah these are a complete waste of space. And I say this as someone who loves world instruments and thinks Soundiron make great products.

Old rack extensions: same here.

Supply refills: bragging about downloading the content and then just keeping it for free...what's the phrase from Big Lebowski? "You're not wrong, you're just an asshole".

Judge R10 on its merits when it comes out, and either buy it or don't.

FWIW, I'm unimpressed with nearly everything in this content update and even I think that Grain looks like a killer synth.

superpop

21 Oct 2017

Equalizer wrote:
20 Oct 2017
Now before I say this I just want ya'll to know that I love Reason and it is my only DAW.

Ok, so the more I preview Reason 10, the more I get irritated. The Props say this is their biggest update, but I can argue that this is the update where they put in the LEAST amount of work.

Example #2 - The 3 World Instruments

Again, cookie-cutter instruments that could have EASILY been one device, the only difference being 3 different sound sources, all brought to you by Soundiron.

Example #3 - The old rack extensions they're giving you for free

I don't even have to explain anything here.

And I'm still in love with subtractor :puf_bigsmile:

devilfish

21 Oct 2017

chaosroyale wrote:
21 Oct 2017
I think that Grain looks like a killer synth.
Maybe... it is really the best in R10.
But it looks like the light version of Steinbergs Padshop Pro?!

chaosroyale

21 Oct 2017

Devilfish: so far I agree with pretty much everything you've said - with one teeny exception: native Reason integration gives Grain an advantage of having instant access to Reasons entire rack of effects and modulators, which I think puts it ahead of Padshop Pro for speed of workflow ie: getting great results fast. But, I'm not an expert on Padshop Pro, I've seen a friend using it so it might have depths I'm not aware of.

Also bump for "needs a good EQ" and my personal bugbear advanced Combinator. Add a simple track FREEZE (on combinators/tracks with no external modulation/sidechain) and solve those CPU problems instantly! Imagine if those 3 things had been Reason 10, with maybe Europa or Grain. Insta-buy.

EnochLight

21 Oct 2017

devilfish wrote:
21 Oct 2017
chaosroyale wrote:
21 Oct 2017
I think that Grain looks like a killer synth.
Maybe... it is really the best in R10.
But it looks like the light version of Steinbergs Padshop Pro?!
Good grief no. Grain makes PadShop Pro look downright antiquated. PadShop's envelopes are as basic as they come - Grain has far more advanced envelopes. Grain is easier to work in, and frankly - looks a lot better than PadShop. Grain has better pitch analysis, IMHO. Grain has 3 LFO's versus PadShop's 2. Grain has a sub osc. Grain's playback algorithm section is far more advanced than PadShop Pro.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information