Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

17 Oct 2017

hurricane wrote:
16 Oct 2017
I know a lot of Windows users - particularly the anti-Logic crowd - hold this bitterness towards Apple, but not me.
Mrmyagi and you would agree. ;)

I don't have any bitterness towards Apple - I own several iPhones, iPads, and pretty much have an Apple ecosystem in my household to some extent. I've even used Logic for a time... I just don't find it inspiring, at all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But, I digress. I think the point has been made - buying into Apple is still far more expensive than buying into Windows for equal/faster hardware/software. Pretending like that's still not the case is being disingenuous. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

sublunar

17 Oct 2017

Gaja wrote:
17 Oct 2017

Not really arguing against what you say, but getting a selfmade system to work smoothly with heavy load processes such as recording live to video throughan effect chain(while operating more than a hundred audio tracks), requires extensive research. If I don’t work during the time I research components, put the things together, download drivers and protect it from the evil internet, I‘ll easily end up paying as much or more than a mac.
There are companies who specialize in making custom builds for this specific task. You do end up paying slightly less than for apple products, but if there’s no computer to work on and there’s even one day (or a half) you can’t work, it’s going to be the same price.
For people who don't computer regularly then maybe it requires extensive research but for people who do, it's all pretty basic. If you think your time is too valuable and your cash is not, then by all means stick to your off the shelf computers. But it doesn't take me very long at all to build my system and I spend far less in the process. As far as protecting a computer from the "evil internet", if unplugging an RJ45 is too much work for you then you got other problems.

sublunar

17 Oct 2017

hurricane wrote:
16 Oct 2017
I know a lot of Windows users - particularly the anti-Logic crowd - hold this bitterness towards Apple, but not me. F*ck it- I am benefiting from it so yay Apple, go buy out more synths and give them to me for free. : ) I feel no shame.
I use Windows, Linux and Apple products. I, like every reasonable person ever, have developed preferences that have formed through life experiences as opposed to blind hatred. I've found that Apple products have some plusses and some minuses. I've found that I can build stable PC's from brand new components far cheaper than I can buy even any similar new Apple system. Personally I'd like to be able to use Reason and my audio interface on a Linux system and be free of Microsoft, but until that happens I'm limited to choosing between Windows and Apple. So Windows it is.

avasopht
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
17 Oct 2017
Gaja wrote:
17 Oct 2017

Not really arguing against what you say, but getting a selfmade system to work smoothly with heavy load processes such as recording live to video throughan effect chain(while operating more than a hundred audio tracks), requires extensive research. If I don’t work during the time I research components, put the things together, download drivers and protect it from the evil internet, I‘ll easily end up paying as much or more than a mac.
There are companies who specialize in making custom builds for this specific task. You do end up paying slightly less than for apple products, but if there’s no computer to work on and there’s even one day (or a half) you can’t work, it’s going to be the same price.
For people who don't computer regularly then maybe it requires extensive research but for people who do, it's all pretty basic. If you think your time is too valuable and your cash is not, then by all means stick to your off the shelf computers. But it doesn't take me very long at all to build my system and I spend far less in the process. As far as protecting a computer from the "evil internet", if unplugging an RJ45 is too much work for you then you got other problems.
You can still buy ready made PCs for much less anyway.

hurricane
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2017

Hey.

Did you guys hear? Reason 10 was announced.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Gaja

17 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
Can you run ProTools with 90+ Minutes video and 100 tracks while recording on your builds? Just saying that I‘ve been comparing performance and so far have yet to encounter a properly working windows system for that kind of work. Not saying it cannot work, only that I have encountered serious stability issues on every windows system in regards to recording with high track counts to video. Yes it’s true I‘m not very savvy on building computers, because my interests differ substantially from this kind of content; so far all I know is that while the components are certainly cheaper when bought solo, but not every combination of parts delivers the kind of performance I need for my studios. One of my employees uses a custom built laptop for ProTools performance, but it doesn’t stand a chance against the similar spec’d MacBookPro in terms of ProTools stability... anyway I’m completely deviating from Reason 10, which is the topic of this thread.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

jayhosking

17 Oct 2017

The good lord of the internet created direct messages for a reason, folks.

sublunar

17 Oct 2017

Gaja wrote:
17 Oct 2017

Can you run ProTools with 90+ Minutes video and 100 tracks while recording on your builds?
I don't use ProTools. I use Reason. How about this. Give me the amount of money it cost you to buy that rig and I'll build you one and keep the change. LOL

lakinlakin

17 Oct 2017

hurricane wrote:
17 Oct 2017
Hey.

Sorry, there is a Mac - PC war going on....

sublunar

17 Oct 2017

hurricane wrote:
17 Oct 2017
Hey.

Yeah and I'm buying it on the 25th while you'll probably be busy on the forum complaining about it.

chaosroyale

17 Oct 2017

This is a bit out of left field but in a way the unexpected update eXpanse 3 -which is an amazing bargain at the moment- makes Reason10 seem even less attractive to me.

Europa is probably fine, but seems similar to & unlikely to be better than eXpanse. Which means 129€ for Grain (which does seem great) and some...well, frankly unnecessary filler sounds. (Soundirons full products are great but these horrible cut-down sample players are taking the piss).

jayhosking

17 Oct 2017

Expanse really is an amazing beast. What I get out of Europa, in comparison, is much better CPU usage, a better workflow, and ultimately sounds I wouldn't have created with Expanse. I'm not sure one synth is better/worse than the other, at least from my perspective (which is someone who makes almost all their own sounds). If I'm trying to work quickly and stack up the synths, I'll probably reach for Europa first. If I'm trying to take my time dialling in a specific sound, or stretching a sound beyond my immediate imagination, I'll probably reach for Expanse.

But yes, Grain is an inspiration machine.

Reminiscence

18 Oct 2017

One week to go yay!

devilfish

18 Oct 2017

More?

And still just 3 Players Devices in R10?? ok !!

chaosroyale

18 Oct 2017

jayhosking wrote:
17 Oct 2017
Expanse really is an amazing beast. What I get out of Europa, in comparison, is much better CPU usage, a better workflow, and ultimately sounds I wouldn't have created with Expanse. I'm not sure one synth is better/worse than the other, at least from my perspective (which is someone who makes almost all their own sounds). If I'm trying to work quickly and stack up the synths, I'll probably reach for Europa first. If I'm trying to take my time dialling in a specific sound, or stretching a sound beyond my immediate imagination, I'll probably reach for Expanse.

But yes, Grain is an inspiration machine.
That kind of fits with my feeling that Europa fills the niche of Subtractor for the contemporary age (fast, useable, great results) and Grain fills the niche of Malstrom (creative, unique, organic). Still no Replacement for Thor though. Even eXpanse isn't quite the same kind of beast. Maybe Avenger or Omnisphere is the closest thing to a modern upgrade of that kind of semi-modular approach.

I'd pay for a standalone Grain RE without hesitation.

I'm still on the fence about R10 though. I'm really not sure about the R10 upgrade just to get Grain- I'd probably pay more NOT to get all the extra "content", because I prefer efficiency and workflow.

EnochLight

18 Oct 2017

chaosroyale wrote:
18 Oct 2017
I'm still on the fence about R10 though. I'm really not sure about the R10 upgrade just to get Grain- I'd probably pay more NOT to get all the extra "content", because I prefer efficiency and workflow.
Well, the content is completely optional, so in a sense - you don't even have to pay more. Yet you'd still get Grain and Europa. :)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chaosroyale

18 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
18 Oct 2017
chaosroyale wrote:
18 Oct 2017
Well, the content is completely optional, so in a sense - you don't even have to pay more. Yet you'd still get Grain and Europa. :)
I'm either an idiot or out of the loop - completely optional as in I won't have to download Piano, the Romplers and so on, and won't have them cluttering up my menus? If so, then I can look at this purely as an RE package for Europa and Grain, which is more attractive.

EnochLight

18 Oct 2017

chaosroyale wrote:
18 Oct 2017
EnochLight wrote:
18 Oct 2017

I'm either an idiot or out of the loop - completely optional as in I won't have to download Piano, the Romplers and so on, and won't have them cluttering up my menus? If so, then I can look at this purely as an RE package for Europa and Grain, which is more attractive.
Yes, completely optional as in you can optionally add the content (Klang, Humana, Pangea, Radical Piano, etc) and not have them clutter your menus. Europa and Grain are automatic, though - as they are now "native Reason devices".

chaosroyale

18 Oct 2017

Enochlight: thanks very much for that information, viewed as a 2-for-1 synth expansion this seems more attractive.

Now if only Props could have a permanent "uncheck" option on the license/sync pages so we could choose to not sync old or unwanted REs we purchased ages ago.

flexluthor

18 Oct 2017

So I know this is a beta question, but I don't think it's some big NDA breaking thing.... anyway, does anyone know if reason 10 has new keyboard midi device profiles? I have a keystep, which is pretty popular, and there isn't a profile in reason for it yet. Seems like since they are so popular the props should have one in there.

AttenuationHz

18 Oct 2017

flexluthor wrote:
18 Oct 2017
So I know this is a beta question, but I don't think it's some big NDA breaking thing.... anyway, does anyone know if reason 10 has new keyboard midi device profiles? I have a keystep, which is pretty popular, and there isn't a profile in reason for it yet. Seems like since they are so popular the props should have one in there.
Just set it up as a generic midi device or use the midi control software to write a profile. I know its a pain because I got a Beatstep based on Koshdukia's blog luckily there was a work around i'd imagine it is the same for the keystep though.

https://koshdukaimusicreason.blogspot.i ... emote.html
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

geronimo

18 Oct 2017

Finally, Europa is a near insulation of Verbos products, for the commands .

http://www.verboselectronics.com/modules/

oblikua

18 Oct 2017

Hey guys!
I just downloaded non-logging version of R10, it asks to re-download the refills(Factory SoundBank), and i'm just wondering if there is any difference from the previous R10Betas... are there new/more patches/sounds in it, and if not, why can't it use the previous Factory SB? Anyone knows? Just curious. :)

EnochLight

18 Oct 2017

oblikua wrote:
18 Oct 2017
Hey guys!
I just downloaded non-logging version of R10, it asks to re-download the refills(Factory SoundBank), and i'm just wondering if there is any difference from the previous R10Betas... are there new/more patches/sounds in it, and if not, why can't it use the previous Factory SB? Anyone knows? Just curious. :)
Wrong forum. Please go to the actual beta forum for beta-related questions and discussion. ;)

sulin00

19 Oct 2017

hurricane wrote:
16 Oct 2017
EnochLight wrote:
16 Oct 2017

Speaking of subjective.. :lol: :lol: :lol: Many would consider a 1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 and
4GB memory anemic for music production.
Sure. But it can run Reason with it's factory content and synths just fine, can't it? You could write a billion songs. Perfectly fine for a songwriter and his guitar too. I have a less powerful macbook running Reason and Logic AND Pro Tools and I can do anything I want.
Beginners do not know when performace issues pop up. Once you settle your own work-flow and you know what to do with your software, you can use slow computer with the limitations which you are aware of... 'Able' is not 'Sufficient'.

• Information