Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MikeMcKew

01 Oct 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Oct 2017
Bobby wrote:
30 Sep 2017

Hi, I know this is semi-off-topic, but since we are discussing the upgrade and this synth is included, what are these advantages?

Thanks.
I'll quote myself from an earlier comment.

"It's gonna be great having both Europa and Grain as Reason stock synths. That means more info, tutorials, collaborations and refills for the Reason community compared to normal rack extensions. At least that's what I think. The more I think about it the more I feel like adding the new instruments is a great move from Propellerhead."
Yeah, I feel like being able to share Europa and Grain (or Combinators that include them) patches like we can currently share Thor patches (for example) will be very cool. Of course, people will need R10+ to open them, but over time more and more people will get the instruments through upgrading.

If you think of Thor, SubTractor, and Malstrom as the three big stock synth instruments in Reason (like I do), I think it's easy to see that this update was needed. Thor was released just about 10 years ago, and that's the most recent of the three. Not bashing Thor, but imagine how much more powerful the technology is now compared to then.

joeyluck

01 Oct 2017

pjeudy wrote:
30 Sep 2017
...Europa looks cool and ok ..Propellerheads added a few features, well, you have to, so that you can stand out from the crowd...I watch the stream and I think the demo could have been 10 minutes long... not sure why it had to take an hour and a half!? 10 minutes would have been enough to show the exiting features. But I guess making it longer gives the new computer music user the impression that it's the best thing since...uh SERUM,ZERO,MASSIVE,ZEBRA,Expanse etc... :D
Huh? They walked through the entire synth by section. And most importantly, they interacted with people! They answered questions. That's the point of these live streams ;)

Oquasec

01 Oct 2017

So propellerhead makes their own version of serum and camel audio's alchemy.
Gettin it for that reason alone. Then synchronus i bundled with it -_____-...
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Oct 2017

Oquasec wrote:
01 Oct 2017
So propellerhead makes their own version of serum and camel audio's alchemy.
Gettin it for that reason alone. Then synchronus i bundled with it -_____-...
Can't really compare it to Serum IMO.

Did you see the oscillators of Europa? Dynamic wavetables!

Oquasec

01 Oct 2017

In table osc you move the wavetable while the record button is on xD
As a guy who already got dozens of RE synths already like expanse, I'm not stoppin there.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Oct 2017

Oquasec wrote:
01 Oct 2017
In table osc you move the wavetable while the record button is on xD
As a guy who already got dozens of RE synths already like expanse, I'm not stoppin there.
It's not the same thing ;)

scratchnsnifff

01 Oct 2017

I hope Europa or grain get the live sample feature that the nnxt and nn nano osc have, that'd be an awesome feature! I'm hoping Europa eventually gets table import
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

GRIFTY

01 Oct 2017

grain will (not confirmed but i'm 99.99999% sure), but Europa can't import samples

EnochLight

01 Oct 2017

GRIFTY wrote:
01 Oct 2017
grain will (not confirmed but i'm 99.99999% sure), but Europa can't import samples
We can be 100% sure - take a look at the Reason 10 "what's new" pic of Grain... ;)

grain.jpg
grain.jpg (406.27 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Aosta

01 Oct 2017

I was so so about R10 when it was announced but after seeing the livestream of Europa and a glimpse at Grain I'm starting to realise that this version is actually pretty significant.
People have been asking for updates to the stock synths for years and even though Thor still stands its own synths have come a long way since.
We know the DSP will be low on these as they will have to work to minimum specs but with the power of both these synths and Reason's modular environment the sonic possibilities are insane! Unlimited Europas and Grains in a combinator :shock:
I kinda feel sorry for Re devs as they have had the intro of VSTs and then props with these two monsters to contend with.
I think us users will be lost in Europa and Grain for quite a while.
Tend the flame

Hauser+Quaid

01 Oct 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
30 Sep 2017

I know people want to criticise in order to get Reason to become a better DAW, which is a valid point, I get it. But some people seem to hate everything about it or at least they sound like they do when they vomit complaint after complaint. They want to change everything, renew everything which makes me wonder if they actually like anything about Reason in the first place.
Just wanted to say I agree with this. I kind of laugh to myself when I see requests for changing the sequencer / workflow / browser etc. I can only speak for myself but that is literally the ENTIRE reason that I use Reason... because of the sequencer, workflow & browser!!

AttenuationHz

01 Oct 2017

Aosta wrote:
01 Oct 2017
I was so so about R10 when it was announced but after seeing the livestream of Europa and a glimpse at Grain I'm starting to realise that this version is actually pretty significant.
People have been asking for updates to the stock synths for years and even though Thor still stands its own synths have come a long way since.
We know the DSP will be low on these as they will have to work to minimum specs but with the power of both these synths and Reason's modular environment the sonic possibilities are insane! Unlimited Europas and Grains in a combinator :shock:
I kinda feel sorry for Re devs as they have had the intro of VSTs and then props with these two monsters to contend with.
I think us users will be lost in Europa and Grain for quite a while.
Well there is a flip side to that also if RE are any way inspired by stock devices then there really will be lots more great RE to come. VST meant RE dev's will have to up there game its a little easier for them to do so with the addition of both devices imo.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

svenh

02 Oct 2017

Great to see Propellerheads so active lately! :)

I will probably skip this version though. I was hoping that version 10 would adress problems working with large projects, I always find it difficult to navigate them. A bit of organizational help please, e.g.
* Folder tracks.
* Better organization of the rack, e.g. hiding away corresponding rack components when collapsing a folder track.
* Combinators in combinators.

scratchnsnifff

02 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
01 Oct 2017
GRIFTY wrote:
01 Oct 2017
We can be 100% sure - take a look at the Reason 10 "what's new" pic of Grain... ;)

grain.jpg
Ahh cool! I missed that :) I do remember seeing someones post over and over and over about sample import when I first logged onto the steam, we only get to scan through env 3-4 as a custom wavetable maybe in the future they could add 2-3 more envelopes to make a little longer of wave sequences, sample import would be better imo so I could use some of the serum table packs I have :thumbs_up:

pjeudy

02 Oct 2017

joeyluck wrote:
01 Oct 2017
Huh? They walked through the entire synth by section. And most importantly, they interacted with people! They answered questions. That's the point of these live streams ;)
Yes...in true Propellerheads fashion.
It could have taken less time...the envelope, effects, filter,unison section could have taken minutes to show off. We all know what those do, give or take there showcasing there unique filter types and how you load a custom envelope.

Other then padding the time. EUROP is not tat deep if a instrument that would require almost 2 hours to show off...minus the few simple question... like let us see the back if the device.15 minutes could have given you all it's features and questions answered!

Not the biggest issue but I was wondering while watching the video why is was taking so long. they could have demonstrated both EUROPA and Grain. But this is clearly About promotion and teasers etc...
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

seqoi

02 Oct 2017

Hauser+Quaid wrote:
01 Oct 2017

Just wanted to say I agree with this. I kind of laugh to myself when I see requests for changing the sequencer / workflow / browser etc. I can only speak for myself but that is literally the ENTIRE reason that I use Reason... because of the sequencer, workflow & browser!!
Same here. Love it!

Btw what's up with all that thing about people asking is Europa and Grain native or RE? And then when they say "it's native" people are more happy like RE is some kind of cancer or something? What the heck?

I mean Propellerheads CEO said himself when he introduced RE format that Echo and Alligator are actually RE's secretly tested in background and then provided to the people without telling them that they are RE's. So basically they are RE's yet people think they are Native. Only thing which differentiate them to not being RE is position in Reason browser.

Why people have so much hate for word RE?

Audiomatic Retro Transformer is basically and literally Reason stack/chain of devices (EQ,filters,delays etc.) sculpted in shiny and easy to use interface called Retro Transformer (which works great btw). See more sources ( https://melodiefabriek.com/blog/audioma ... ansformer/) So it's and RE but inside of it it is actually a nice custom Combinator with plethora of effects. I mean i want to point out that there should not be hate for RE's or something being an RE vs non RE - even more so when people actually used them without even knowing so (like Ernst said to the public) and noone complained.

What the heck?

scratchnsnifff

02 Oct 2017

seqoi wrote:
02 Oct 2017
Hauser+Quaid wrote:
01 Oct 2017

Same here. Love it!

Btw what's up with all that thing about people asking is Europa and Grain native or RE? And then when they say "it's native" people are more happy like RE is some kind of cancer or something? What the heck?

I mean Propellerheads CEO said himself when he introduced RE format that Echo and Alligator are actually RE's secretly tested in background and then provided to the people without telling them that they are RE's. So basically they are RE's yet people think they are Native. Only thing which differentiate them to not being RE is position in Reason browser.

Why people have so much hate for word RE?

Audiomatic Retro Transformer is basically and literally Reason stack/chain of devices (EQ,filters,delays etc.) sculpted in shiny and easy to use interface called Retro Transformer (which works great btw). See more sources ( https://melodiefabriek.com/blog/audioma ... ansformer/) So it's and RE but inside of it it is actually a nice custom Combinator with plethora of effects. I mean i want to point out that there should not be hate for RE's or something being an RE vs non RE - even more so when people actually used them without even knowing so (like Ernst said to the public) and noone complained.

What the heck?
I think it has to do with future updates and other features, stock devices have more flexibility feature wise REs are limited in certain ways, I don't see grain or Europa being restricted to any of the possible short comings of REs (pattern to track and stuff like that) also if it's native then you get the device when ever the user upgrades Reason, so people on 8-9 who are upgrading to 10 will get both synths people upgrading from 1- Reason 200 will get theses synths. Nothing wrong or bad about it being native or re it's probably a matter of people wondering if they are paying 129 for a singular device or 129 for both devices + future point updates :)

EdGrip

02 Oct 2017

I don't know why people are having such a hard time understanding the stock devices/RE thing in this thread either. It's not just you.

mind2069

02 Oct 2017

If they are stock devices, cpu should be very good considering most stock devices are.

But the GUI seems to be designed with the RE SDK, which is kinda of weird looking for a stock device, was this confirmed that is not a RE but actually built with "native code", or a RE included just like the Echo delay

musicman691

02 Oct 2017

Haven't read the whole thread but have to ask: is vst usage in Reason still not available when Reason is used as a Rewire slave in another daw? ProTools and Digital Performer are my daws of choice. I skipped going to R9 because there wasn't enough in there to make me do it but if this limitation is lifted then I'm in. Otherwise nothing happening.
Jack
MacPro mid-2012 3.46 GHz hexcore Westmere 48 gig ram
OSX 10.13.6
PT2021.6, Reason 8.3
QAPLA!

AttenuationHz

02 Oct 2017

Don't think that will ever be a thing would be nice though. Does Reaper use VST's when in rewire mode, in Pro Tools, can't remember!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

musicman691

02 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
02 Oct 2017
Don't think that will ever be a thing would be nice though. Does Reaper use VST's when in rewire mode, in Pro Tools, can't remember!
I don't know as I don't use Reaper. Even if it didn't that's a poor excuse for not doing it; I seem to remember there was one of these online get togethers when R9.5 dropped and the PropHeads were asked about this and they said that because others daws don't allow vst hosting in Rewire slave mode that they weren't going to do it. Like I said - poor freakin' excuse. I mean let's show the world that Reason can still do unique tech and give us vst hosting when useds as a Rewire slave.
Jack
MacPro mid-2012 3.46 GHz hexcore Westmere 48 gig ram
OSX 10.13.6
PT2021.6, Reason 8.3
QAPLA!

jayhosking

02 Oct 2017

pjeudy wrote:
02 Oct 2017
We all know what those do, give or take there showcasing there unique filter types and how you load a custom envelope.

Other then padding the time. EUROP is not tat deep if a instrument that would require almost 2 hours to show off...
Good lord. Show a little theory of mind here. "We" don't all know anything about synthesizers (other than that they make a sound). It took me way more time than necessary to learn how to use things like filters and envelopes precisely because no one spent the time explaining what "we all know". Just try to imagine for a second that not everything is for you and you alone. There are teenagers who will make music for the very first time on Reason 10, and Europa will be their very first synthesizer that they learn. There are older folks who always wanted to learn how to make electronic music who are figuring it out for the first time. There are even users whose knowledge is deep but might have holes in their understanding.

They weren't "padding the time." They were showing the basic human decency of not assuming that everyone knows exactly what you do, trying to satisfy a broad user base that includes both novices and experts. They even still cut corners on some aspects (ADSR) that I regularly have to explain to friends who make music with traditional instruments and stock synth sounds. I found the livestream to be a pretty useful demonstration of the features of the device and how it differs from other devices (i.e. that the spectral filter isn't a filter per se but a "virtual" one that's changing the wavetable).

lakinlakin

02 Oct 2017

jayhosking wrote:
02 Oct 2017
pjeudy wrote:
02 Oct 2017
We all know what those do, give or take there showcasing there unique filter types and how you load a custom envelope.

Other then padding the time. EUROP is not tat deep if a instrument that would require almost 2 hours to show off...
Good lord. Show a little theory of mind here. "We" don't all know anything about synthesizers (other than that they make a sound). It took me way more time than necessary to learn how to use things like filters and envelopes precisely because no one spent the time explaining what "we all know". Just try to imagine for a second that not everything is for you and you alone. There are teenagers who will make music for the very first time on Reason 10, and Europa will be their very first synthesizer that they learn. There are older folks who always wanted to learn how to make electronic music who are figuring it out for the first time. There are even users whose knowledge is deep but might have holes in their understanding.

They weren't "padding the time." They were showing the basic human decency of not assuming that everyone knows exactly what you do, trying to satisfy a broad user base that includes both novices and experts. They even still cut corners on some aspects (ADSR) that I regularly have to explain to friends who make music with traditional instruments and stock synth sounds. I found the livestream to be a pretty useful demonstration of the features of the device and how it differs from other devices (i.e. that the spectral filter isn't a filter per se but a "virtual" one that's changing the wavetable).
I agree, well said.

Vesterager

02 Oct 2017

mind2069 wrote:
02 Oct 2017
If they are stock devices, cpu should be very good considering most stock devices are.

But the GUI seems to be designed with the RE SDK, which is kinda of weird looking for a stock device, was this confirmed that is not a RE but actually built with "native code", or a RE included just like the Echo delay
Not sure about this, but I'm betting all new devices are RE.

• Information