Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
teddymcw

29 Sep 2017

Just watched the live stream. Ok, very cool and looks as if there might be some real unique qualities here. I spose I'm a bit of a props fan boy in general and try to give them credit where it's due.

That said, I'm not sure it's going to produce sounds much better than VK-2 and other synths like Serum. I'm not a synthmaster whatsoever but I can't tell what parameters Europa will bring that we didn't already have access to given the knowledge and monetary resources from other devs like Blamsoft, who deserve credit while we're giving it. I fear the same will be said about Grain and what Proton brings. Ya, I still love the Props spin on most of what they do and look forward to digging into it some time.

Would love someone to correct or enlighten me as to the true uniqueness just seen, I know it's a bit early to know a fair amount of the parameters and permutations thereof. Just looking to be rightfully technically excited rather than marketing excited.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2017

Just watched the Europa stream. Looks like a really cool synth.
It seems to have the same great quality as Expanse, easy to work with yet you can go deep with it if you want to.

It's gonna be great having both Europa and Grain as Reason stock synths. That means more info, tutorials, collaborations and refills for the Reason community compared to normal rack extensions. At least that's what I think. The more I think about it the more I feel like adding the new instruments is a great move from Propellerhead.

I think Europa and Grain alone will be worth the upgrade for me.

Looking forward to the next stream on Grain.

CaliforniaBurrito

29 Sep 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
29 Sep 2017
I'd love to see audio input for the main filter and fx, as was mentioned.
+1
Exowildebeest wrote:
29 Sep 2017
Anyway I don't see a sequencer being added so I guess I'll resort to Combinator patches with a Matrix.
I would actually prefer a matrix with cv shaping/tuning devices or that PSQ RE rather than a built-in sequencer.

jlgrimes

29 Sep 2017

stfual wrote:
28 Sep 2017
More and more I'm wondering why Release 10 wasn't the VST integration.
I'm starting to think that 9.5 was intended for 10 (new content, synths, VST support). That indeed would have been a huge upgrade (probably the biggest ever even).

I think though that Props knew there would be issues and to stay on schedule while improving VSTS, they released it early so users could actually test it out in real world use but learn more about what VSTS people are using, what systems etc. There are so many VSTS vs Rack Extensions and Props has no control of the spec.

I think 10 will probably come with a performance fix and it probably will get applied to 9.5 as well since 10 is just 9.5 with more content.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
29 Sep 2017
Exowildebeest wrote:
29 Sep 2017
Anyway I don't see a sequencer being added so I guess I'll resort to Combinator patches with a Matrix.
I would actually prefer a matrix with cv shaping/tuning devices or that PSQ RE rather than a built-in sequencer.
Yeah let's not add more clutter to the synth :) It's fine just the way it is.

I personally dislike having sequencers in synths. It's just there taking up space and I never use it anyway. Sorry, just my opinion.

chimp_spanner

29 Sep 2017

Damn. Was only listening on a single iPhone earbud but it sounds and looks fantastic. Super complex sounds. But really fat, simple sounds too. The thing that impressed me was some of those filter models (emulations, not spectral). They were so beefy and fat, with really crazy resonance as well. Something I’ve found hard to achieve on many other synths.

My mind is already racing at the possibilities, and this is before Grain (which I think is gonna be immense).

Can’t wait!

CaliforniaBurrito

29 Sep 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
29 Sep 2017
I personally dislike having sequencers in synths. It's just there taking up space and I never use it anyway. Sorry, just my opinion.
I agree. The only sequencer I appreciate is in the ABL3 but the whole damn thing is a sequencer. :lol:

pjeudy

29 Sep 2017

Saw the stream...EUROPA looks cool has some NICE things it does.... But I see nothing in it that says "Never mind real DAW updates I need this now" My money stays in my pocket. SERUM will have to scratch my wave table itch. Matter of fact I see some of SERUM in EUROPA.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

EdGrip

29 Sep 2017

Can't wait to see this video on YouTube!
Just from the comments here though - it seems a shame if Props haven't used this flagship synth as a place to showcase the usefulness of CV.

CaliforniaBurrito

29 Sep 2017

EdGrip wrote:
29 Sep 2017
Can't wait to see this video on YouTube!
Just from the comments here though - it seems a shame if Props haven't used this flagship synth as a place to showcase the usefulness of CV.
Not a showcase but the basic CV functionality is there. People always want more though. :eh: Not to bash the tweakers or anything but I'd like to hear some actual music that people are making with a hundred CV wires.

chimp_spanner

29 Sep 2017

I do think there's room on the back panel for direct CV access to wavetable position and modifier 1 & 2 amounts for each of the 3 engines. Never mind the signal flow block diagram. Personally I will push for it during the beta :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
29 Sep 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
29 Sep 2017
I agree. The only sequencer I appreciate is in the ABL3 but the whole damn thing is a sequencer. :lol:
Yeah that's different :D
Just tried it a week ago actually just to see what it was about. I can see what's appealing about it but ultimately it's not a device for me. Just doesn't fit my workflow and the way I write music.

EdGrip

29 Sep 2017

There's a few common things (filter, WT position etc) that it's always nice to have immediate CV to. The feature is there in Reason, uniquely, so go all-in, I say.
Can you CV out that cool-looking envelope?

I had fun with the ABL3 demo, but Repro-1 does a 303 impression that's good enough for my n00b needs.
Last edited by EdGrip on 29 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

AttenuationHz

29 Sep 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
29 Sep 2017
Europa seems awesome. I'm impressed. It obviously took some inspiration from Expanse and there's no shame in that. It adds its own cool features and unique oscillators and filters.

A little bit of constructive criticism:

- I'd love to see audio input for the main filter and fx, as was mentioned. Especially since a big deal was made about that filter, and it does indeed sound amazing.

- The backside is disappointing. Only 4 cv ins that'll have to eat up mod matrix slots. Take a look at the backsides of Expanse and The Legend - that's how it's done :) At the very least add a cv in for the main filter cutoff.

- It lacks a built-in sequencer. I understand this was probably sacrificed in favour of the envelopes (same goes for the simplicity of the LFO's). But a sequencer can add a lot to a synth, as I've come to learn from using Expanse. I don't think the envelopes are a real replacement, I didn't see them snapping to pitch values or anything. Anyway I don't see a sequencer being added so I guess I'll resort to Combinator patches with a Matrix.
I think real time input to the filter really is a must feature but it is probably impossible because of performance issues, I dunno. Input to the FX at least is something that would be completely needed. Once inside Europa you could then use the mod matrix to manipulate the sound with LFO's. It would be a selling point for me big time. I do hope that the LFO's can be set up to output to CV.

I completely agree it got inspiration from eXpanse suppose it could not do the full inspired rear without issues.

Grain on the other hand.... 100% Proton so much so I am wondering if Proton was alpha for Grain!

The sound is fking awesome despite the shitty quality of FB can't wait to try it out!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Lorebrand

29 Sep 2017

Hi guys, first post here.

I'm a synth newb and have been hearing / reading a lot about Serum. I just bought R9.5 about 2 weeks ago, and get a free upgrade to R10 next month. Is there any reason to keep looking at products like Serum with Europa and Grain right around the corner?

Exowildebeest

29 Sep 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
29 Sep 2017
CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
29 Sep 2017

That's what I used to think - until I really got into it with Expanse, making my own sequenced patches that serve a wonderful library of sounds that I can instantly fit into a track. I've really turned around on my opinion regarding sequencers on synths. You can too! :D

CaliforniaBurrito

29 Sep 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
29 Sep 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
29 Sep 2017
Yeah that's different :D
Just tried it a week ago actually just to see what it was about. I can see what's appealing about it but ultimately it's not a device for me. Just doesn't fit my workflow and the way I write music.
EdGrip wrote:
29 Sep 2017
I had fun with the ABL3 demo, but Repro-1 does a 303 impression that's good enough for my n00b needs.
That's like me telling Tritone that Diva does Minimoog to satisfy me too much for Legend. :lol:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
29 Sep 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
29 Sep 2017

That's what I used to think - until I really got into it with Expanse, making my own sequenced patches that serve a wonderful library of sounds that I can instantly fit into a track. I've really turned around on my opinion regarding sequencers on synths. You can too! :D
Never say never I guess :)
Well I can see how making your own sequenced patches would be cool if you're into that kind of thing.
Let's just say I'm not looking for inspiration in the sequenced patches folders when I'm looking for sounds. I've probably used one or two of them in my lifetime :D I just feel like someone else just wrote the music for me. Not fun.

Expanse actually came to mind because at least I can hide the sequencer there. Just don't want Europa to turn into Predator or SubBoomBass you know :)

EdGrip

29 Sep 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
29 Sep 2017
That's like me telling Tritone that Diva does Minimoog to satisfy me too much for Legend. :lol:
Y'mean Synapse? Or is Tritone another synth company? No, don't tell me. I don't need to look at any more soft synths.

joeyluck

29 Sep 2017

Lorebrand wrote:
29 Sep 2017

I'm a synth newb and have been hearing / reading a lot about Serum. I just bought R9.5 about 2 weeks ago, and get a free upgrade to R10 next month. Is there any reason to keep looking at products like Serum with Europa and Grain right around the corner?
I would definitely hold off. You've got a free upgrade coming your way not too long from now. Not that you can't try something like Serum in the meantime... But you won't be able to compare anything until you can get your hands on R10. So I'd say to wait on buying.

CaliforniaBurrito

29 Sep 2017

EdGrip wrote:
29 Sep 2017
Y'mean Synapse? Or is Tritone another synth company? No, don't tell me. I don't need to look at any more soft synths.
TritoneAddiction the Legend enthusiast vs me the Diva enthusiast! :D

I don't doubt that Legend can pull off a better Minimoog though. :)

EdGrip

29 Sep 2017

Aaaahh yes, right, gotcha. I was being slow. ^_^

Exowildebeest

29 Sep 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
29 Sep 2017
Exowildebeest wrote:
29 Sep 2017

Let's just say I'm not looking for inspiration in the sequenced patches folders when I'm looking for sounds. I've probably used one or two of them in my lifetime :D I just feel like someone else just wrote the music for me. Not fun.
Me neither, and that's still not the case. It's rolling my own sequences that's so satisfying. Imagine having 15 minutes to spare - not enough to start a full track, but enough to make a good sequence or two for later use :)

Anyway, it's not such a big deal due to the Combinator.

EnochLight

29 Sep 2017

Lorebrand wrote:
29 Sep 2017

I agree with Joey. You're getting a free upgrade to version 10 and will score Europa and Grain for free. I'd most certainly wait until then and spend some time with them before dropping additional cash on Serum.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Aosta

29 Sep 2017

Hmm, Europa looks interesting and with the grain synth, radical, the ethno REs and 3gig of sounds for 129 monetary units I wonder how many more will upgrade after that stream?
Tend the flame

• Information