Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
StrokerX

28 Sep 2017

Reason 4 still the best.

Breach The Sky

28 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
27 Sep 2017
Breach The Sky wrote:
27 Sep 2017
Super exciting! I sure hope Europa and Grain delivers. Isn't the quality of facebook streams really bad tough? Or maybe that's changed?
Facebook stream quality is indeed so-so, but it's the smoothest medium we have. It might even be in mono, which will NOT do Europa justice. However, I'm hoping we can capture audio from the stream separately and post that with the video on YouTube. Tomorrow's tech set-up day so we'll see. :)
Low bit-rate mono? Oh dear... I Do understand that Facebook might be the best medium exposure wise. If it's to taxing/complicated streaming to Youtube/Twitch simultaneously with Facebook you should REALLY record the stream in high quality. You know how it is, some people WILL judge the sound quality of the synth in stream audio... (sigh)

Anyway, will there be some technobabble besides the showcase on the stream? Love hearing about technical stuff and what sort of wizardry Peter Jubel conjured up this time! :)

EdGrip

28 Sep 2017

I wonder if Subtractor ever taxed a CPU when it first appeared.

riemac

28 Sep 2017

EdGrip wrote:
28 Sep 2017
I wonder if Subtractor ever taxed a CPU when it first appeared.
Yes it did back then, when I had Reason 1

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

28 Sep 2017

Breach The Sky wrote:
28 Sep 2017
Anyway, will there be some technobabble besides the showcase on the stream? Love hearing about technical stuff and what sort of wizardry Peter Jubel conjured up this time! :)
I'll babble about the things I understand, but that's actually quite a few things so hopefully you'll be satisfied ;)

sdst
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2017

the Grain synth looks and sounds much more interesting, can't wait to try it

europa sound very common, at least in the demo sound

scratchnsnifff

28 Sep 2017

Glad there will be a stream, I assume it will mainly be about Europa so that tells me that it has a trick up its sleeve or two :D I'm excited to see the wavetables modifiers and unision types, as the days go on I am stricken with the wanting of thisshiny new toy. My only "negative" thing about this update is that it comes out on a Wednesday haha I wish the updates came out on the weekend so I'd have Saturday and Sunday to fiddle :p
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

exe135

28 Sep 2017

As someone who has not yet bought a "big" modern plugin synth such as Serum/Spire/Expanse, the Europa synth is most welcome, if it is reliable and versatile.
The three small instrument devices seem to be little more than sample players, but I am also ready to be positively surprised.

I get that there is a desire not to "overload" reason with menues, options, etc, but some improvements would really be nice;

export mono audio file!!! (wave files are always stereo!)
step note entry in sequencer
multi-track/channel midi recording!!! (via advanced midi interface, why isn't this possible?!)
tap to adjust tempo track (that would be great!)

major additions:
video support

scratchnsnifff

28 Sep 2017

How cool would it be if Europa and grain had themes, I was looking at their interface on the what's new page, that'd be a cool feature I like the color scheme of grain so it'd be cool to change the colors of europa, it'd be the most cosmetic feature but it'd sure be neat :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

chimp_spanner

28 Sep 2017

This reminds me, skins/backdrops on VSTs would be sick! Would be nice to make the rack devices look/feel like the actual plugin!

esselfortium

28 Sep 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
28 Sep 2017
This reminds me, skins/backdrops on VSTs would be sick! Would be nice to make the rack devices look/feel like the actual plugin!
This would be great! I imagine they're a bit hesitant to allow Combi-style backdrop importing anywhere it isn't already because they'll look crummy when Reason inevitably one day makes the switch to high resolution, but at least being able to set a custom color scheme would be really nice. There are algorithms out there that can even do an auto color scheme detection based on an image (like the VST's screenshot, in this case!), like iTunes used to do based on album cover art.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

chimp_spanner

28 Sep 2017

esselfortium wrote:
28 Sep 2017
chimp_spanner wrote:
28 Sep 2017
This would be great! I imagine they're a bit hesitant to allow Combi-style backdrop importing anywhere it isn't already because they'll look crummy when Reason inevitably one day makes the switch to high resolution, but at least being able to set a custom color scheme would be really nice. There are algorithms out there that can even do an auto color scheme detection based on an image (like the VST's screenshot, in this case!), like iTunes used to do based on album cover art.
Yeah! If it even took like, an average sample of all the colour in the UI, that'd be sick. Just something to differentiate the various plugins in my project beyond the thumbnail (especially if I have them collapsed).

nbot

28 Sep 2017

Silly question, but need to ask - If I upgrade to 9.5 today will I get Reason 10 for free?

AttenuationHz

28 Sep 2017

nbot wrote:
28 Sep 2017
Silly question, but need to ask - If I upgrade to 9.5 today will I get Reason 10 for free?
From what version?
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 28 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

nbot

28 Sep 2017

Great, thanks!

AttenuationHz

28 Sep 2017

nbot wrote:
28 Sep 2017
Great, thanks!
Sorry

From what version though? If your still on 9. NO but 8 or lower then Yes
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

nbot

28 Sep 2017

From latest 8. Does it make a difference?

Edit: I just saw your answer. I'm guessing what counts is when you upgraded to 9, correct?

pjeudy

28 Sep 2017

So the Facebook stream will be in mono? Propellerheads knew well in advanced that a demo of theses synth would be streamed and they didn't make sure to use a platform that allows a stereo stream? C'mon man..sure you had a release you where working on (R10) and that takes some priority but ...C'mon ....smh

I know you might capture the stream to upload it to youtube later but that's later......sigh
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

per-anders

28 Sep 2017

nbot wrote:
28 Sep 2017

Edit: I just saw your answer. I'm guessing what counts is when you upgraded to 9, correct?
The difference is simply. If you pay for an upgrade then you'll get Reason 10 for free. If not (i.e. if you have 9 you get 9.5 for free anyway) then you won't.

I actually wish us 9.x users could pre-order so we're not all feverishly trying to buy this on the release day when the servers are on the very of collapse from all the visitors.

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2017

pjeudy wrote:
28 Sep 2017
So the Facebook stream will be in mono? Propellerheads knew well in advanced that a demo of theses synth would be streamed and they didn't make sure to use a platform that allows a stereo stream? C'mon man..sure you had a release you where working on (R10) and that takes some priority but ...C'mon ....smh

I know you might capture the stream to upload it to youtube later but that's later......sigh
I can see the comments already " Bleh, it's got that Reason sound.. thin and unprofessional sounding" :lol: :lol:

nbot

28 Sep 2017

Ok, I just saw the message: " Upgrade to Reason 9.5 today and get Reason 10 for free on October 25 "

So I guess it's self explanatory. Thanks guys

joeyluck

28 Sep 2017

Well wherever they host the live stream, there's still plenty of conversation to be had. The interaction is the better part. And if broadcast in mono, then there will be audio that can be listened to in stereo afterwards.

If you've been checking your mixes in mono as Ryan has suggested, your ears will be ready ;)

On Twitch, they've only got close to 5k followers.
On Facebook, they have over 100k
On YouTube it's roughly the same.

For live streams, I think Facebook has a more successful reach. Not only do people spend more time on Facebook than YouTube, it appears in their timeline when someone they are following goes live. And it takes precedent over most other posts; appearing at the top.

And then if the argument is, "well when many people miss it on YouTube they can catch it later" ...well they can do the same after it has streamed on Facebook, right? So yeah, I think Facebook is the better choice here. But I'll watch it wherever if you just tell me.

AttenuationHz

28 Sep 2017

per-anders wrote:
28 Sep 2017
nbot wrote:
28 Sep 2017

The difference is simply. If you pay for an upgrade then you'll get Reason 10 for free. If not (i.e. if you have 9 you get 9.5 for free anyway) then you won't.

I actually wish us 9.x users could pre-order so we're not all feverishly trying to buy this on the release day when the servers are on the very of collapse from all the visitors.
???
Has never happened before think that's Call of Duty you're thinking of!

per-anders

28 Sep 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
28 Sep 2017
per-anders wrote:
28 Sep 2017

???
Has never happened before think that's Call of Duty you're thinking of!
You must be lucky, It's a pretty regular thing with software releases, not just CoD, I've seen several companies resort to using bittorrent to distribute their stuff in response, it's a heck of a lot cheaper for them in terms of server bandwidth that's for sure, although it means everyone has to download some dodgy client. This stuff happens all the time with small companies, Most recently the pains with Superior Drummer. Honestly it's more memorable when there isn't an issue at launch these days. So I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I recall a few times with Reason releases where there have been server/shop issues.

pjeudy

28 Sep 2017

aeox wrote:
28 Sep 2017
pjeudy wrote:
28 Sep 2017

I can see the comments already " Bleh, it's got that Reason sound.. thin and unprofessional sounding" :lol: :lol:
Exactly...why take the chance on a product that you are trying to sale someone on?
that's like telling someone .."hey I have a brand new color and High dynamic range TV that I want to sale to you" Then you turn the color saturation on the TV down to 50-60%

I subscribe to a Pod cast from a Producer called KRYDER. He first plays his Podcast live on Facebook, then later he uploads to Soundcloud and iTunes...and I simply refuse to listen to it for long Live on Facebook...because it's in Mono and I find listening to an hour of Music only in mono annoying.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

• Information