Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chimp_spanner

22 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
22 Sep 2017
etyrnal wrote:
22 Sep 2017

Keep in mind they not too long ago got a huge investor putting Capital into their company, so they are less worried about making users happy, and more worried about making money now. But they forget that the way they originally made their customers happy was by giving their customers what they wanted. Now they're just trying to make investors happy and they don't care so much about what their users need, because there's a bottom line called money now. The instant a company like this takes outside money they lose control over processes like this. The investing company doesn't have a direct control necessarily, but the musical company has an obligation to fulfill that overrides any of their creative inspirations.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
The most important part about making money as a company is making users happy. That's product 101. This hasn't changed for us and I as product manager personally strive toward that goal. Many users did want better stock devices in Reason. :)
It's logically inconsistent that PH would make their shareholders happy by making their customers unhappy, thereby leading to less customers and unhappy shareholders :lol: My guess is that if no-one knew about the investor, far fewer people would be accusing PH of profiteering. But now we know...speculation abound!

Obviously it's only my opinion but I'm happy to see PH focusing on their instruments again. Once upon a time, new instruments WERE updates. I think perhaps the impact of that has been diluted somewhat by the fact we can add instruments and effects ourselves now but it's still a big deal to me. And as I said earlier, think what we got in 9.5 by buying into 9 (which btw was nowhere near as good or substantial an update as this). 10 is better value for money right off the bat and while we can only speculate, I have high hopes that 10.5 will see a lot more workflow changes. Even today we got a nice little maintenance update that fixed quite a big problem for VST users so I'm optimistic things are moving in the right direction :)

decoyz

22 Sep 2017

If this is the extent of the update then this will be the first upgrade since 5 that I don't pay for I'm afraid. I'm not sure how widespread this opinion is amongst Reason users but gaining the ability to use VSTs was really eye-opening in what I'd been missing out on all this time. I think I convinced myself that they couldn't be massively better than what I could achieve within Reason but now....

It doesn't look like the improvements required to fully take advantage of VSTs will take effect for a while, and some of the things I've previously been frustrated about re: workflow and functionality probably won't be resolved until at least 11. Upgrade price x2 is approaching the price of another DAW that fixes these things and that I can rewire Reason into. I'll always love the CV system and there are a bunch of devices (Expanse especially) that I want to keep using so will never completely drop Reason buuuuuut I think I've hit the stage where it makes more sense for me as an auxiliary tool. I suppose that's what it was designed to be in the first place!

robthompson

22 Sep 2017

Like many posters here I already have a ton of sounds (which I'll probably never exhaust for the kind of pieces I write). As a long-term Reason user I'm also well-used to the workflow of the app. It's familiar, glove-like. So what is there in Reason 10 for me? Well, nothing really.

It's quite possible that PH originally intended VST support to appear with R10, but discovered that the lack of it was badly impacting their sales. Perhaps they escalated the development and introduced VST support earlier than they'd have liked, leaving R10 without the god-feature some of you seem to be missing. Co-ordinating the features of a major software release can be a nightmare.

If it's going into beta then I suspect that's all we're going to get. I'll live.

Whichever way (and I too was hoping for some MIDI-magic!), there isn't a music-making app on the planet which suits me better than Reason. Right now, I certainly don't need R10, but as the date draws closer I've a feeling the purchase may well be irresistible. Again.

Tumble

22 Sep 2017

Here's hoping they find the C++ developer they are looking for, because it would seem they really need him/her.

Andy
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2017

I see people constantly bringing up VSTs. Not every user is interested in VSTs and for the newcomer R10 is hard to beat in terms of value. All the FX and instruments thats comes standard can take a lifetime to exhaust. Endless possibilities without touching a single VST. R10 seems like a winner to me.

Zac

22 Sep 2017

Further to my earlier post I think it's great to see MattiasHG get involved in the discussion. As a long time user I think things have improved significantly since he became product manager. Props from me at least :think:

ravisoni

22 Sep 2017

If 10.5 counts as part of 10, and if there are workflow improvements in 10.5, this probably will be the biggest update ever, then, when viewed in hindsight.

Pretty much what everyone else said, though, Europa and Grain seem nice, the other 3 are basically instruments made from nnxt sample libraries. Was there a sixth one as advertised? Must have missed it.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

22 Sep 2017

Zac wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Further to my earlier post I think it's great to see MattiasHG get involved in the discussion. As a long time user I think things have improved significantly since he became product manager. Props from me at least :think:
Brings a happy tear to my weary eye :')

Releases are always interesting. It's a great opportunity for a lot of honest feedback. It's also always a bit skewed since people who have something to say will say it while people who are excited are generally just excited. Regardless, I have eyes in many places!

And as I've said before, I can't wait to show you more about the content in Reason 10. Europa is really a gamechanger. Having a powerful synth like that included in Reason straight out of the box is extremely cool. So even if you're on the fence, check out our upcoming videos and grab a trial when it's out.

BRIGGS

22 Sep 2017

I don't think I can imagine how difficult it is to update something that is already awesome.

Making something more awesome than it is...is a huge challenge.

Props can't make everyone happy. So they take user input and do what they want. :puf_bigsmile:
r11s

AttenuationHz

22 Sep 2017

Sorped wrote:
22 Sep 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
22 Sep 2017

Just to correct you features are not included.... If they added everything that would impact on workflow positively in Reason there would be no need for new devices you only have the want for new devices because of the lack of features on old devices. New devices are a distraction from what is not there its like a cat with a laser!
I used new feature as in anything new, upgrade of the sequencer, addition of X, inclusion of Y. Point of the matter is; we can't have all wanted upgrades/features/additions/whatever-you-want-to-call-them in the same upgrade. A lot of people in this thread seem ticked off that the one or two particular things they want, isn't included. Reason doesn't stop with version 10.

It doesn't stop at version 10 but I sure as shit will be stopping at version 9.5 if all that is being added is new devices. More to me is features I would gladly pay for an update if 20% of the many great feature suggestions here and sent into props were added. The foundation of Reasons sequencer is not solid a lot needs to be changed and streamlined to pave the way for new devices. I said it when VST's were added and again. To me I love having VST's but without the other features for workflow Reason is not at its potential its below it and I would gladly trade VST support if even 30% of user suggestions were added.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

EnochLight

22 Sep 2017

etyrnal wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Keep in mind they not too long ago got a huge investor putting Capital into their company, so they are less worried about making users happy, and more worried about making money now.
I'm not sure why people say this. From the very start, Propellerhead has always been a for profit company, and their biggest concern was always making money - just as it should be to remain a successful company. Getting any influx of cash from a venture capital group doesn't change this.

Just because they sell something they love and believe in does not change these facts.

But, I digress - Reason 10 wahoo! :) :thumbs_up:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EdGrip

22 Sep 2017

From the perspective of setting out a stall for prospective newcomers to computer music, this makes Reason even more attractive than it has always been. From that perspective, I think Reason's selling point has always been, above all, that it looks fun. That's basically why I went for it. All this content helps with that.

But again, with regard to Props being famously tight-lipped with regard to the future, I think we'd all just be really grateful for a "We have read the feature requests. We know the ones that keep coming up. It's okay. We're working on it."

I have loads of fun messing about with Reason. :)

Blast

22 Sep 2017

So far Reason 10 update looks disappointing. However It was said the same about Reason 9 and then we all got excited when Reason 9.5 was released. So while reason 10 will not be a major overhaul, we might just get some exciting points update from reason 10.++++++ or should I say lets Hope that it would be so.

syncanonymous

22 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
22 Sep 2017
syncanonymous wrote:
22 Sep 2017
at this rate my next upgrade will be Reason 12

and Reason 12 will launch in 18 mos :P

I went Reason 1...2.5...4...8

it's only logical...maybe by then VST performance will be stellar

can the subscription trend be far away? Although, it seems the rent is high enough ;-)
Since you nearly doubled the versions, you need to come back on R16.
ahhhhh, throw out the 2.5...that's what I did (in my calculation)

I just watched the little movie; some o' that stuff looks like it can sound pretty nice
the close up "graphical camera moves" made me dizzy for sure
that is a highly over-composited VO; same person talking over themselves always sounds bad to me and really shows off the changes in timbre and proximity
the message does get delivered: MORE

surely the subscription fallacy will be in full swing before RSN16
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

Alkua

22 Sep 2017

This is the Yin Yang Upgrade lol

If you have a lot vst synth, you don't need to upgrade because there is not change in the engine. This upgrade look like more like a bundle package.

Reason 9.5 NOT NEW Player ---- Reason 10 NOT NEW Player

But I don't understand why PH gives 6 instruments and more samples for $129, and also just released a Layer Synth for $69 ($100 original price)

This upgrade is more for attract new user. Why PH includes Radical Piano and Synchronous which like %90 of old users have them.

Sorped

22 Sep 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Sorped wrote:
22 Sep 2017

I used new feature as in anything new, upgrade of the sequencer, addition of X, inclusion of Y. Point of the matter is; we can't have all wanted upgrades/features/additions/whatever-you-want-to-call-them in the same upgrade. A lot of people in this thread seem ticked off that the one or two particular things they want, isn't included. Reason doesn't stop with version 10.

It doesn't stop at version 10 but I sure as shit will be stopping at version 9.5 if all that is being added is new devices. More to me is features I would gladly pay for an update if 20% of the many great feature suggestions here and sent into props were added. The foundation of Reasons sequencer is not solid a lot needs to be changed and streamlined to pave the way for new devices. I said it when VST's were added and again. To me I love having VST's but without the other features for workflow Reason is not at its potential its below it and I would gladly trade VST support if even 30% of user suggestions were added.
I can't wholeheartedly disagree with you, for sure. Did you btw see chimp_spanners post about other tweaks in 10?
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

rexbrewer

22 Sep 2017

I personally like the update a lot. New synths and samples from Sample Magic are welcomed in my house anytime. That being said, maybe you could cut a deal for people who already own Radical Piano and Synchronus or both. Like Maybe choose another one of Props devices? Like an A-list Instrument or Rotor or something ?

What are your thoughts on that Propellerheads?

EnochLight

22 Sep 2017

Some people keep mentioning "the engine". I wonder if they believe Reason runs on petrol and pistons?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note, no really - what is this "engine" people keep talking about? :?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Gorgon

22 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
22 Sep 2017
If this is it what Reason 10 is then Ernst is more misguided than I thought he was.

Edit: and how exactly is this progress???
I've said it a few years back. Propellerhead is a content provider. Not in innovative company anymore. MOAR MOAR MOAR. That's all I hear. Workflow issues and glaring oversights that have been in Reason for years are NOT being addressed.

I'll probably get it for the Grain and Europa (that name, ugh) but everything else is meh.

And SoundIron eh? What are the chances of those devices going the Line6 way?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Goodbye

22 Sep 2017

Releases are always interesting. It's a great opportunity for a lot of honest feedback.
There has been a lot of honest feedback recently but you seem to have ignored it all. Have a look at the Reason 10 Feature Request thread recently to see what users actually want. I don't think there is a single feature from it in Reason 10.

Gorgon

22 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Some people keep mentioning "the engine". I wonder if they believe Reason runs on petrol and pistons?

On a serious note, no really - what is this "engine" people keep talking about? :?
It's what produces the Reason sound. :D
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

EnochLight

22 Sep 2017

Gorgon wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I'll probably get it for the Grain and Europa (that name, ugh) but everything else is meh.
I realize you're European, so it probably seems like a silly name to you (as an American, I certainly wouldn't want a synth named 'Murica :lol: )! But I immediately thought of the moon of Jupiter, or even the ancient Greek goddess, before I made associations with the continent. It's kinda' cool if you sway that way.
Gorgon wrote:
22 Sep 2017
And SoundIron eh? What are the chances of those devices going the Line6 way?
Virtually no chance. I can't imagine that Propellerhead would repeat that licensing debacle again!
Gorgon wrote:
22 Sep 2017
EnochLight wrote:
22 Sep 2017

It's what produces the Reason sound. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by EnochLight on 22 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Goodbye

22 Sep 2017

Why PH includes Radical Piano and Synchronous which like %90 of old users have them.
They have included it because 90% of users have them, so they don't lose any potential sales. It's just to bulk a thin release out a bit. Like with all the samples and the novelty SoundIron REs. This release is basically two (admittedly interesting) synths and loads of filler. Oh and loads of marketing.
Last edited by Goodbye on 22 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

davidvilla

22 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
22 Sep 2017

A content upgrade was also a result of the many users who've requested new instruments or updated stock devices since the introduction of Reason 6.5. We listen to our users more than ever!
Well thanks for addressing our Reason 7 feature requests in Reason 10. :|

Here are our CURRENT feature requests though: viewforum.php?f=6

Be a good little product manager and actually read them (no, but I mean like FOR REAL) and pass them along to your boss.

Hi, Ernst.

By the way, I wonder who these people were though, who wanted MORE internal synths and MORE drum samples. And like, WHERE are they, because they surely aren't HERE.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

22 Sep 2017

Goodbye wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Releases are always interesting. It's a great opportunity for a lot of honest feedback.
There has been a lot of honest feedback recently but you seem to have ignored it all. Have a look at the Reason 10 Feature Request thread recently to see what users actually want. I don't think there is a single feature from it in Reason 10.
davidvilla wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Here are our CURRENT feature requests though: viewforum.php?f=6

Be a good little product manager and actually read them (no, but I mean like FOR REAL) and pass them along to your boss.
We track that thread too. In fact, I read most all feedback and do tons of research, not only on forums. We do listen. Reason 9.5 and Reason 10 are actually direct results of that. And since it's worth saying again: we will keep improving Reason. We have nothing to gain by releasing versions that nobody wants. :)
Last edited by MattiasHG on 22 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

• Information