OMFG!!! @$#@$#@ MIDI Controller!!! :(

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stratatonic

21 Sep 2017

WASTED an hour finding out why my Impact controller wasn't working.

It worked on one computer. All software recognized it. But not the laptop. Nothing.

Preferences. Google. Search. Research. Google. More Search. Reset controller. No Go. Google. Search. Forums. Reboot. Nothing. Try other computer - works. Back to laptop?
Nothing. Pull hair out.. Search. Special settings? Google. Search. Controller not found. Audio/midi. WTF? Try again on other computer - working. Back to laptop - dead. BP rising. Google. Search. Random post about someone's USB hub not working. No hub here. But hmmm try another USB port.

Computer and all software recognize controller. Works.

WTF?

Ok, a little embarrassed here :redface: Maybe that should have been the first thing to do, but WhyTF aren't all ports created equal? :(

normen

21 Sep 2017

Yep, always try to switch the port first, as they all have unique id's the system basically has to set up the device completely new which can solve a host of issues.

The good news about you getting THIS stumped by it is you'll never forget that anymore ;)

Heater

21 Sep 2017

It's one of my first things I do when trouble shooting USB stuff. Always try another port. It give the drivers a chance to reload etc... and for things to get initialised.

I'm glad you got it working.

stratatonic

21 Sep 2017

normen wrote:
21 Sep 2017
The good news about you getting THIS stumped by it is you'll never forget that anymore ;)
Memories coupled with emotion seem to stick. Yes, there was some emotion involved. :mrgreen:
Heater wrote:
21 Sep 2017
It's one of my first things I do when trouble shooting USB stuff. Always try another port. It give the drivers a chance to reload etc... and for things to get initialised.

I'm glad you got it working.
Me too. :) And now ALL ports work, go figure...

syncanonymous

21 Sep 2017

I bought one of these http://plugable.com/products/usb2-hub10c2/ USB Powered Hubs in June 2017 and now my laptop never drops usb connection to any peripherals. I used to lose the mouse, qwerty keyboard ( I don't use the laptop one) or midi controller keyboard randomly throughout the day...was driving me nuts...did a little research and found laptop usb is often underpowered, and a known issue on VAIOs with all kinds of workaround ideas, which didn't work for me. I did a lot of research before buying and Plugable is the hub buyers all love. All the usb ports on my laptop are broken/flakey...except the eSATA, so that's what I have the Plugable connected to, so the poorest performing port on my machine and it has been super reliable; can't live without it.. The only thing I have that it won't power is an old Lacie 7200 Rugged Drive. Now, I fill the hub with peripherals and it works great. I went for usb 2.0 mainly because of known issues of USB 3.0 exhibiting drop out on wireless peripherals like mouse and qwerty keyboard. Also, in my experience, it doesn't charge ipad/ smartphone as well as Plugable claims, but I don't mind that.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

stratatonic

23 Sep 2017

syncanonymous wrote:
21 Sep 2017
I bought one of these http://plugable.com/products/usb2-hub10c2/ USB Powered Hubs in June 2017 and now my laptop never drops usb connection to any peripherals. I used to lose the mouse, qwerty keyboard ( I don't use the laptop one) or midi controller keyboard randomly throughout the day...was driving me nuts...did a little research and found laptop usb is often underpowered, and a known issue on VAIOs with all kinds of workaround ideas, which didn't work for me. I did a lot of research before buying and Plugable is the hub buyers all love. All the usb ports on my laptop are broken/flakey...except the eSATA, so that's what I have the Plugable connected to, so the poorest performing port on my machine and it has been super reliable; can't live without it.. The only thing I have that it won't power is an old Lacie 7200 Rugged Drive. Now, I fill the hub with peripherals and it works great. I went for usb 2.0 mainly because of known issues of USB 3.0 exhibiting drop out on wireless peripherals like mouse and qwerty keyboard. Also, in my experience, it doesn't charge ipad/ smartphone as well as Plugable claims, but I don't mind that.
Thanks for posting. That's a great idea. I only have 2 ports on the laptop and more than half of the time it's at a desk hooked up to a monitor anyways. Next purchase for me. :)

syncanonymous

24 Sep 2017

:-) happy to help. I hope you'll be glad you get one. I should say, build quality-wise this hub is not a brick rugged enough to take a beating, it is plastic, and of reasonable quality. Obviously it has a wall wart because it needs power, so you have to be connected to mains power. Personally, if I was going to buy today, I would seriously consider the 60 watt
http://plugable.com/products/usb2-hub7bc/
That said, I do sometimes require more than 7 ports.

I have been wanting a 3rd monitor too and Plugable make many different adapters for adding monitors.

I also bought the cheaper product as a handshake with the Plugable brand to investigate if what others claimed was true and, in my experience, the 20watt USB2 hub is excellent. It never drops drivers since getting them established (win7). The only slightly disappointing thing is the way it is packed, the wall wart cable has bends in it that will never go away. Again, not a big deal.
Last edited by syncanonymous on 24 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

drloop

24 Sep 2017

2017... and still it does not yet work flawless...
Good to hear that you solved the problem

• Information