Computer too slow

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Twin688

21 Sep 2017

Hello folks. I'm brand new to this forum so excuse me if this question has been asked before. I have the latest version of Reason...9.5 I think. Recently I've been getting the "your computer is too slow to play song" message. I don't understand why this is happening. I built a Windows 10 PC with a six-core 3.5 gigahertz processor, 8GB of RAM and a solid state drive. My previous computer was much slower with less RAM and I rarely got this message. I recently downloaded the demo of the new Viking VK-2 Rack extension. I'm considering buying this one, but I can't even load the combinator patches from this device without getting that same error message. I checked the preferences and the box that says "use multiple cores" is checked so not sure what else to check. Any help is appreciated thanks in advance.

Heater

21 Sep 2017

That doesn't sound right.

Have you tried a fresh reboot and no other apps running? What does the Windows performance monitor say? What are your audio latency settings? Have you set the CPU usage in Reason preference to the max?

esefelipe

22 Sep 2017

I hit the DSP wall waaaaaay sooner in Reason than Logic on the same computer, so my solution is try avoid heavy VSTs and REs while tracking/producing/arranging, and then export stems for mixing in Logic.

etyrnal2

22 Sep 2017

esefelipe wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I hit the DSP wall waaaaaay sooner in Reason than Logic on the same computer, so my solution is try avoid heavy VSTs and REs while tracking/producing/arranging, and then export stems for mixing in Logic.
So, OBVIOUSLY, it's not ""Computer too slow to play song", instead it's TRULY, "REASON is TOO SLOW to play song".

Propellerheads cannot fail to care about users, and still expect users to care about Reason.

This new paradigm has come around, completely DESTROYING one of the VERY BEST strengths of former (pre-investment capital) Reason...

The efficiency has gone deep down the toilet. Used to be able to build a track with MANY instances of instruments, and effects. MANY. So many it used to make other DAWs look STUPID.

But now, the Re market is FLOODED with synths and devices that take NO CARE for whether their CPU load leaves ANYTHING left over for other devices. I'm talking about Re synth patches where a SINGLE instance of a synth, playing a single 5 or six note chord, results in ""Computer too slow to play song". THAT. IS. BULLSH17.

What the hell happened to Propellerheads pristine Garden of Eden??

16G 8 cores of Xeon... and Reason can't handle it? No wonder people are talking about leaving the platform.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :re: :adapted: :ignition: :essentials: :refill: :rebirth:

chimp_spanner

22 Sep 2017

Twin688 wrote:
21 Sep 2017
Hello folks. I'm brand new to this forum so excuse me if this question has been asked before. I have the latest version of Reason...9.5 I think. Recently I've been getting the "your computer is too slow to play song" message. I don't understand why this is happening. I built a Windows 10 PC with a six-core 3.5 gigahertz processor, 8GB of RAM and a solid state drive. My previous computer was much slower with less RAM and I rarely got this message. I recently downloaded the demo of the new Viking VK-2 Rack extension. I'm considering buying this one, but I can't even load the combinator patches from this device without getting that same error message. I checked the preferences and the box that says "use multiple cores" is checked so not sure what else to check. Any help is appreciated thanks in advance.
This is gonna sound really dumb and I apologise if you've already checked, but is your Windows power scheme set to maximum performance? The default is usually balanced (which runs the CPU at half of what it should be). Again sorry if you've already done this. It's just the first thing that comes to mind!

Constantinfetter

10 Aug 2018

[quote
This is gonna sound really dumb and I apologise if you've already checked, but is your Windows power scheme set to maximum performance? The default is usually balanced (which runs the CPU at half of what it should be). Again sorry if you've already done this. It's just the first thing that comes to mind!
[/quote]

Thanks, it solved some of problems.

1) now i can run Diva's 1 poly patch without error :D (Dive was worst, CPU hungry Vst in setup).
2) + it worked great for Nexus, i thought the problem was jbridge. (nexus was second CPU hungry monster).
3) now i can load 20+ instrument without any load showing on DSP Load meter. (before that 1 instance of DR. Octo Rex / Diva / Nexus took 1 bar of the DSP Load meter).

• Information