Combinator with VSTs is just blowing my mind

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
groggy1

21 Sep 2017

I just want to say: I've been enjoying the Combinator SO much more since VST support came in. I've used it before with REs of course, and always loved Combinator.

But now that ALL my instruments and effects can be Conbinated, it just puts a smile on my face:
1) My old DAW let me create chains of Effects after an instrument and save it as a template. But I *never* used it because it was so convoluted. With Reason 9.5, I find myself creating Combinators that contain VST instruments & effects every day, and I love it. I created a folder of my Combinated VSTs, and can't believe how easy it is to reload them on new projects

2) The ability to put PLAYERS inside of a Combinator and save it along with the VSTs is just crazy. You can basically create an ARP'ed instrument using a VST+DualArp, and save it. Absolutely nuts.

3) There are utility REs that create an envelope based on note-trigger. I LOVE putting them into combinatory, and then having them automate a parameter on a VST effect or something. How crazy is it that I can have FabFilter filter driven by an external envelope?

Anyway, I've started saving tons of my Combinated VSTs+Effects into a folder - it's a flow that I never really used to do much with REs, but now it's just part of every day in the studio. Like I said above, I never really felt like it worked smoothly in Sonar to save Templates, so there's just something magical about Reason for this scenario.

Loque

21 Sep 2017

Dropt it in, wire it up, module it, luv it.
Reason12, Win10

Oquasec

21 Sep 2017

Haven't done that yet, surprisingly.
Integrating vsts in reason allowed us to put them in a combinator without an nnxt present.

Vst refills will be a thing later, but right now I'll be knee deep in the cv ports of the prop modules first :]
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EnochLight

21 Sep 2017

groggy1 wrote:
21 Sep 2017
I just want to say: I've been enjoying the Combinator SO much more since VST support came in. I've used it before with REs of course, and always loved Combinator.

But now that ALL my instruments and effects can be Conbinated, it just puts a smile on my face:
1) My old DAW let me create chains of Effects after an instrument and save it as a template. But I *never* used it because it was so convoluted. With Reason 9.5, I find myself creating Combinators that contain VST instruments & effects every day, and I love it. I created a folder of my Combinated VSTs, and can't believe how easy it is to reload them on new projects

2) The ability to put PLAYERS inside of a Combinator and save it along with the VSTs is just crazy. You can basically create an ARP'ed instrument using a VST+DualArp, and save it. Absolutely nuts.

3) There are utility REs that create an envelope based on note-trigger. I LOVE putting them into combinatory, and then having them automate a parameter on a VST effect or something. How crazy is it that I can have FabFilter filter driven by an external envelope?

Anyway, I've started saving tons of my Combinated VSTs+Effects into a folder - it's a flow that I never really used to do much with REs, but now it's just part of every day in the studio. Like I said above, I never really felt like it worked smoothly in Sonar to save Templates, so there's just something magical about Reason for this scenario.
I feel the same, and that's saying a lot since I hate looking at Combinators (4 knobs and 4 buttons is just too simplistic and boring for me). But I absolutely love building them and saving them - it's so easy! It's the ease of use of the Combinator that makes Reason so attractive for stuff like this. When I'm in Studio One, it's just nowhere near as easy/fun. And don't even get me started on that train wreck Reaper - LOL! I understand Bitwig has a pretty cool approach to modular combining, but I can't be arsed to try it. I'm fine with Reason for now. :)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information