Remove low velocity MIDI notes from conversion???

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
boomer

20 Sep 2017

After importing .wav file from a live show recording I’m finding the kick drum has a lot of clipping. So I’m thinking replacing it with MIDI. After converting the track I’m noticing a lot of low level ghost notes.

So my question... is there a way to grab and delete all midi notes below a certain velocity level without having to do it one by one?

swamptooth

20 Sep 2017

not really, but you have a few options...

probably the easiest would be to turn on the eq and lpf out all frequencies above the kick then bounce to a new audio clip then convert to midi.
you could also drop your drum machine into a combinator and set an input velocity limit in the combinator's programmer.
you could also open the midi clip, select all notes then ctrl+click and drag in the velocity display at the lowest velocity you want to keep to deselect the loudest notes then hit delete.

Zac

20 Sep 2017

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... -splitter/

This is the only thing I can think of but no idea if it can do the job. The price ticket was always way to high for me to even try.

esselfortium

20 Sep 2017

If you can't find a satisfactory way to solve this problem within Reason, remember that you can export a midi file from Reason, modify it with any external tools, and re-import.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

esefelipe

22 Sep 2017

To prep a live track for drum replacement, I usually set up a gate using the SSL. Then I hit the option to route the filters to the sidechain, so the gate is only listening to a narrow band.

Then I bounce the mixer channel to a new track (printing the gated sound), and then finally do the audio to MIDI conversion.

nscerri

17 Mar 2019

I know this is an old post, but this just happened to me and want to share how I solved it, and hopefully it could be of some help for you guys.

I had a recording where a live snare recording wasn't giving enough, so I tried the convert to midi feature. I faced the same problem that you were having i.e. low velocity notes that where most probably some extra transients and Reason was interpreting them as hits as well.

Here are my steps after converting the clip to midi.

1) Add a combinator
2) Drag the newly generated Midi Track to the Combinator sequence.
3) Click Show Devices
4) Add the device that will trigger the snare drum. In my case it was a Reason Drum Kits RE, but it can be any device.
5) Click on Show Programmer
6) Select the device and set the minimum velocity to whatever threshold your require.

Hope that this helps.

Noel.

BobbyB

16 Aug 2020

Had the same issue and I figured out a quick workaround.

When editing the velocity you can highlight the louder notes. So starting from the top select all of the higher velocities but don't select the lower velocities (if you start from the bottom lower velocities you will select every note). Once you have all the note velocities that you want selected, copy them and paste to a new spot.

Hope this helps somebody!

(nscerri's method works too but it didn't quite suit my particular needs.)

• Information