Proper Way To Receive Stems For Mastering/Pre Mastering?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
KevTav

19 Sep 2017

I'm thinking of going into Professional Mastering, Pre Masters, re-mixing.

I have access to a great studio, with really great gear. Have the knowledge, have the gear myself too.

But when asking for stems I'm unsure of the PROPER way to receive them from clients, remotely or in person.

What should I make sure they know before coming to me? With effects? Dry? Both, to compare in studio with them? Make sure they're absolutely starting at zero? Stems AND song file for comps? Etc. Etc.

Looking for best practices and any possible issue I may run into.
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

am0eba

19 Sep 2017

If you're asking this question, maybe you don't yet really "have the knowledge"... :shock:

- And maybe you shouldn't be "going into Professional Mastering"... :?

I certainly don't have the knowledge, but I'm also not offering to perform this service for people for money...(That's what "professional" means...) If you're letting them know up front that you're in the process of learning to do it, that's something else...

Good luck!

_Dave_

PS: I'm NOT thinking of going into Professional Mastering, but I would also like to know the answer to this very interesting question...
:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

Ahornberg

20 Sep 2017

Just a question: How many track did you master so far?

napynap

20 Sep 2017

Stems are usually the raw track recordings (in WAV or AIFF format), which means you will first be mixing the tracks before mastering. If you are trying to make a master out of a client's stereo mix, then ask for a 24 bit 96khz stereo mix in WAV or AIFF (unless they have an even higher sample rate, but that's not normal).
visit http://www.napynap.com to learn more about me. Thank you.

selig
RE Developer

20 Sep 2017

This is ENTIRELY up to you. Assuming you've been doing this for a while already, just keep working the way that gives you the desired results!

I've turned in many tracks to big name mixers, and the requirements are almost always the different. Most have a PDF file with their requirements that they (or their management) send out when they know they will be mixing a project.

It all comes down to what you need to do your job!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

KevTav

20 Sep 2017

napynap wrote:
20 Sep 2017
Stems are usually the raw track recordings (in WAV or AIFF format), which means you will first be mixing the tracks before mastering. If you are trying to make a master out of a client's stereo mix, then ask for a 24 bit 96khz stereo mix in WAV or AIFF (unless they have an even higher sample rate, but that's not normal).
I know what stems are. Stems with the effects out and dry are two different things though. If a client hands a folder file with dry stems or with FX presets included, I don't know whether to start with a client beef up their recordings with their FX outs, or start with completely dry files and emulate their FX.

Some people want their FX in , or might give just stems.

I know my OWN standards, my own process. Everyone has their own process, which is why I'm asking.

It's a basic question of Wet Stems VS. Dry Stems and how to best deal with the issue.

If a client comes to be with just the stereo mix/bounce, that's another story. I would prefer starting from scratch, but a client may just want the stereo mix "Master" to be MASTERED.

And yes, I always do the stereo outs in 24 bit, and would expect that.
Last edited by KevTav on 20 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

KevTav

20 Sep 2017

selig wrote:
20 Sep 2017
This is ENTIRELY up to you. Assuming you've been doing this for a while already, just keep working the way that gives you the desired results!

I've turned in many tracks to big name mixers, and the requirements are almost always the different. Most have a PDF file with their requirements that they (or their management) send out when they know they will be mixing a project.

This is exactly what I was asking. As in a PDF or "Requirement" email template of what to ask for? I would prefer Dry Stems, and the Stereo Mix for comps, simultaneously.

selig
RE Developer

21 Sep 2017

KevTav wrote:
selig wrote:
20 Sep 2017

This is exactly what I was asking. As in a PDF or "Requirement" email template of what to ask for? I would prefer Dry Stems, and the Stereo Mix for comps, simultaneously.
Yes - assume the person reading the PDF knows nothing about you. Check your PM btw…

Selig Audio, LLC

KevTav

23 Sep 2017

selig wrote:
21 Sep 2017
KevTav wrote:
Yes - assume the person reading the PDF knows nothing about you. Check your PM btw…

Okay will do. Sorry for late response.

nooomy

23 Sep 2017

napynap wrote:
20 Sep 2017
Why should he ask for them in 96khz? It just increase the file size?
41 khz 24bit is more than enough for music

If you are going to master a track you should ask for the track in 41khz 24bit without any mastering.

If you are going to mix a track you should ask for seprate tracks, they should be in 41khz 24bit. FX on are Okey
Bass
Lead
Top drums
Kick
Snare
Hi hat
Pad
Vocal
Etc etc

napynap

24 Sep 2017

nooomy wrote:
23 Sep 2017
napynap wrote:
20 Sep 2017
Why should he ask for them in 96khz? It just increase the file size?
41 khz 24bit is more than enough for music

If you are going to master a track you should ask for the track in 41khz 24bit without any mastering.

If you are going to mix a track you should ask for seprate tracks, they should be in 41khz 24bit. FX on are Okey
Bass
Lead
Top drums
Kick
Snare
Hi hat
Pad
Vocal
Etc etc
When I received all 32 tracks from a live show at Capitol Records Studio A, Hollywood, it was 24bit 96kHz, but it really depends on the type of music. Certain music styles benefit from a wider dynamic range that 96kHz offers. Other styles may not need it. To your point, to properly answer the question, we need more information.
visit http://www.napynap.com to learn more about me. Thank you.

• Information