I'm puting my Research/Learning hat on

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deepndark

18 Sep 2017

And trying to get better as I am.
This is a good plan as I want to learn to use Reason as well/smoothly as I can, before I get too old and tired of this all.
I've been stuck for years - and like most people have said about my music, I need a tad more "something".
It's true IMO as well so... Yeah... I'm up to put more effort to my skills. If I wouldn't do this, I'd regret later that I didn't.
I just turned 37 and when I'm looking back, I have had lots of fun, but also lots of bad days too. Some of my music is dope, but I have never been fully satisfied of my music. Last 7 years have been the worst, as I lost my flow when I started to get close to perfection. Then Reason became a monster by adding all the new features, which made lose my passion to create stuff. My EGO did the rest and I lost control over my "getting further".
So now I want to take it easy and just build, learn, and work.
I feel excited tbh. Like one Finnish rap-star said "Lots of talented people never make it when they get close".
Propably a really valuable lesson for all those in this spot. :)

So now, I need to write myself a small studio-handbook. Sort out my sounds - watch some stuff on youtube, etc. Then try stuff out in practice, find out what my tools can do and what not. Hang out here and whatever. Thanks for reading!
Last edited by deepndark on 18 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

amcjen

18 Sep 2017

Love this! Excited for you! I'm going through a similar realization myself, so know you aren't alone in the struggle.

kuhliloach

18 Sep 2017

"small studio handbook" ...

Imagine if Reason could produce a customized "handbook" both in-program and printable based on all audio files and plug-ins installed on your system. This handbook could be shown to clients as a Menu and used in-house as a reminder of assets forgotten or seldom used. I imagine one day even the Factory Sound Bank will be easy to understand and navigate in more of a handbook style.

aeox
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2017

The learning hat never comes off!

Each day I strive to improve.
Whether it's youtube, this forum, etc.. there are always bits of knowledge out there to learn.

deepndark

18 Sep 2017

amcjen wrote:
18 Sep 2017
Love this! Excited for you! I'm going through a similar realization myself, so know you aren't alone in the struggle.
Cool one bro, good luck to you with your journey. :thumbs_up: :D
kuhliloach wrote:
18 Sep 2017
"small studio handbook" ...

Imagine if Reason could produce a customized "handbook" both in-program and printable based on all audio files and plug-ins installed on your system. This handbook could be shown to clients as a Menu and used in-house as a reminder of assets forgotten or seldom used. I imagine one day even the Factory Sound Bank will be easy to understand and navigate in more of a handbook style.
Yes! I would love to have Reason helping me with built-in lessons or whatever kind of know-how. :thumbs_up: :puf_smile:
aeox wrote:
18 Sep 2017

Each day I strive to improve.
Whether it's youtube, this forum, etc.. there are always bits of knowledge out there to learn.
Indeed - I want to keep learning til people type R.I.P. on my Facebook wall. :mrgreen:

CaliforniaBurrito

18 Sep 2017

aeox wrote:
18 Sep 2017
+1

I'm rooting for you man. I've read your forum posts through the years and I admire your persistence. I remember writing on the old PUF and venting about how frustrated I was with myself but I pushed through it. I'm still not fully content with what I do but I don't think any real artist will ever be fully content with their output. The rabbit hole never ends and that is a good thing because finding the end of the rabbit hole would be the greatest disappointment! Human beings are designed to want more and long for more. More and more and more. Perhaps it is a survival mechanism passed down from our ancestors that we haven't outgrown yet. I'm glad this is my rabbit hole as opposed to other worldly things and we are all very fortunate to have this outlet. The idea of writing a handbook is good at the core but I advise keeping in mind that you want to get to a point of free falling down the rabbit hole.

Loque

18 Sep 2017

I have the same feeling sometimes on my music and on others too. I tried it misses something that catches me, like a good sample, sound, rhythm or melody. Finally it's the main important idea where the song is build around and fits. Tbh i have really the catching idea and even more rare I get the fitting song around it and all things are focused. But iam still trying to make it and have fun on my way. But i dont target being the next super star. Another thing I miss is, something unique and new... Even harder to find and all the experimenting sometimes results in bs.

Hope you make it to whatever you want. Gl.
Reason12, Win10

Wickline

18 Sep 2017

deepndark wrote:So now, I need to write myself a small studio-handbook. Sort out my sounds - watch some stuff on youtube, etc. Then try stuff out in practice, find out what my tools can do and what not. Hang out here and whatever. Thanks for reading!
Best decision you can make bro.

A few years ago I was between jobs and had a lot of free time so I decided to learn some proper patch design. I was mostly self taught from years of playing setting and pushing buttons but had sort of plateaued. Spent a good bit of time going through tutorials on YouTube and reading up on production methods. Completely transformed my sound and made a huge improvement to my tracks' quality.

Being open minded and not letting your past experience/knowledge get in the way will get you where you want and need to be. Good luck!
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

deepndark

19 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
18 Sep 2017

But i dont target being the next super star.
I have mixture feelings about becoming a star. I might want to get fans, and sell music, or give an interview to a magazine, but I have not enough balls to be a real star. :mrgreen:

• Information