Why actually reason is the worst DAW ever

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Miss Controllerism

17 Sep 2017

really upset to say but everything its explained here in my video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LySCF-s ... e=youtu.be

aeox
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2017

Better VST optimization would be nice, but it's not something that really limits me too much.

Groups would also be nice, my DAW before Reason didn't have groups though. So I don't mind. If they add it, that's great.

The Kontakt thing doesn't increase CPU/Ram usage, it's the same either way. You just have to open multiple instances of Kontakt, which I don't really find to be a big deal.

None of these things are really stopping me from working. I think what Reason does have to offer, outweighs all of it's lacking features.

normen

17 Sep 2017

Of course its a bad DAW, it wasn't designed to be one ^^

Loque

17 Sep 2017

Guess you made your important points to be able to make music.

But i agree a few features, improvements and better performance would be nice.
Reason12, Win10

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2017

Lets see how many other DAW's can play RE's..... Oh that's none, so in your book they most be worst, so there are no good DAW's..

Also you did not show your preferences so your performance issues you showed may not be totally valid...

Oh well, back to making music....

Electric-Metal

17 Sep 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
17 Sep 2017
Lets see how many other DAW's can play RE's..... Oh that's none, so in your book they most be worst, so there are no good DAW's..
+1 :thumbs_up:

First thing wich came to mind when watching the vid.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

jlgrimes

17 Sep 2017

It's really no such thing as a worst DAW. Although I'll admit Reason is behind a lot of DAWS on many things, there are some things Reason does well and in a few cases pretty ahead of the pack (notably the player instruments).

normen

17 Sep 2017

Logic was very bad at audio recording for a long time, especially before version 3 ;) It was designed as a MIDI editor :)

Faastwalker

17 Sep 2017

It's the best for me. Horses for courses. You have to find what works best for you.

raymondh

17 Sep 2017

The best DAW is the one you use most often and for whatever reason (pun not intended), enables/inspires you to complete your best tracks.

Ostermilk

17 Sep 2017

Here's a brilliant excercise for the OP.

Find a nice friendly, perfectly well-equipped bar where most people are enjoying themselves. Masquerade as a woman (if you are not already), enter the bar, make a point of informing everyone that this bar is shit and the beer and company are terrible. Show people video evidence if they don't believe you.

Let us know how it goes.

Then, being as misery loves company, find a bunch of like-minded people, set up your own community and whine away until your heart is content. You can even write a song about it and produce it on a DAW that works for you and post it to the forum concerning that DAW where I'm pretty sure it will be well recieved. Here's a free money saving tip too. Don't buy a content creation application unless you are sure it fits your needs. Good luck with that.

I don't think you'll surprise anyone here by telling them that Reason isn't the sleekest most feature packed DAW in existence, no more than I expect you to ever get why so many enjoy making music with it even when some of those same people have access to pretty much anything they choose at any given moment. I can see that it's not for everyone though.

Don't be too disheartened either because if you've wasted money on the worst DAW ever by not checking it's what you needed thoroughly before you laid hard cash on it, you can always try to sell it to me, if it's as bad as you say though the price had better be right.... :puf_bigsmile:
Last edited by Ostermilk on 18 Sep 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Goriila Texas

17 Sep 2017

Reason is good but a rewrite is overdue. That fact we have to reboot Reason just to change themes speaks for itself.

KevTav

17 Sep 2017

A bunch of little BIOTCHES always complaining about Reason. You don't like it? Don't come here. Don't use it. Go back to Pro Tolls and sit and stare at their GUI until you feel like you've been in a dentist's office.

Nobody cares.
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

Innerst

18 Sep 2017

Miss, I think you expose some very interesting self centered personal behavior with this post.

You have shown why Reason is the worst DAW for you personally, which is fair enough, but you present this as an objective truth relevant to everyone else :shock:

None of the things you present was ever a problem for me. And I have access to and have tried many other DAWs.

Even if Reason is the best current DAW for me personally, I would never communicate this subjective and personal fact as something objective and assume it must be true inside everyone else's head :lol:

Peace and self-reflectance :puf_smile:

Miss Controllerism

18 Sep 2017

aeox wrote:
17 Sep 2017
Better VST optimization would be nice, but it's not something that really limits me too much.

Groups would also be nice, my DAW before Reason didn't have groups though. So I don't mind. If they add it, that's great.

The Kontakt thing doesn't increase CPU/Ram usage, it's the same either way. You just have to open multiple instances of Kontakt, which I don't really find to be a big deal.

None of these things are really stopping me from working. I think what Reason does have to offer, outweighs all of it's lacking features.

there are many video test on youtube that show how kontakt opened in one instance with more instirment inside save resources and ram instead of open different instances of kotnakt

Jagwah

18 Sep 2017

Really silly.

Creativemind

18 Sep 2017

I agree with the title, the WORST DAW is a bit harsh but as regards lacking in features, I have to agree. Track folders I've heard of but never really knew what they were exactly. Now I see it in action I think, yeah that would be so useful / handy.

As for Reason being slow to open, it is. I have a slow laptop mind but I just did a test, 38 seconds to open Reason (that's with my login info already there and I pressed ENTER to get through that part quick) I tested another daw on the same laptop, 7 seconds.

Also, I've had Reason crash on my desktop computer with a 2.3ghz processor, duo core and 5gb RAM with 18 tracks going. 6 being vocal tracks. About 8-10 were combinators however with about 10 devices in each. So probably about 90-100 instruments / devices going on.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

EdGrip

18 Sep 2017

I'm reminded that "Use the demos!" is great advice and I'm lucky I got away with not really doing it.

There's loads of little things that we hope will be improved in the next version, (see the various threads) and big features we'd all like but will never happen, like VST support.
If you pick any DAW, visit its forum, and have a look through its "Feature requests for version (x)" thread, you'll see that none of them are perfect.
And wherever you go there will be someone saying "I can't believe we STILL haven't got this feature! It's 2017! (Other DAW Z) has had that feature since version 3!"

I've noticed that other DAWs can have more meaty version updates than Reason, but Reason often has quite meaty point updates, so maybe it evens out.

People talk about Reason needing a rewrite from scratch, which it probably does, but I don't know how viable that is. Is that a thing that often happens in software development?

So yeah. The people here are all well aware of Reason's shortcomings, and we do like to whinge about them from time to time, but we still have lots of fun with it. I've no doubt there are plenty who came and went because they didn't get on with Reason and moved on, and that's fine.

Ostermilk

18 Sep 2017

Miss Controllerism wrote:
18 Sep 2017

there are many video test on youtube that show how kontakt opened in one instance with more instirment inside save resources and ram instead of open different instances of kotnakt
Reason 9.5 is the first iteration of VST support. What you are talking about (multi-timbral control) is a known limitation currently, you can watch lots of videos or even learn about it here.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=7500363

You'd have hated the previous version then, that one didn't even have VST support, imagine that.... :lol:

Reason users sure are some crazy cats ain't they? I'm sure most of them would like to see some kind of separate midi channel flow going on in the next version though.

Gorgon

18 Sep 2017

Creativemind wrote:
18 Sep 2017
I agree with the title, the WORST DAW is a bit harsh but as regards lacking in features, I have to agree.
That's funny, because every now and then you complain about Reason not having a certain feature, and then you find out that it does, because people here on the forum point it out to you.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

BonsaiMacKay

18 Sep 2017

I haven't bothered to watch the video, sorry, but my suggestion to anyone struggling with Reason as their DAW is just don't. I have been using Reason since R2.5 and am on R7 right now, and I have never used Reason as my DAW. Find the DAW that suits your needs and use it. Reason can be easily added to your workflow as a simple scratchpad or as a mega instrument suite when rewired to your DAW. I use Live as my DAW and, even though Live is lacking in many domains, it gets the job done for me. If Reason doesn't cut it as your DAW, use it as an instrument (its original purpose). If it doesn't cut it as one either, sell your licence to recoup some of your investment. Simples.

EnochLight

18 Sep 2017

17 Sep 2017
Why actually reason is the worst DAW ever
Clearly you've never used Reaper. :lol: :puf_bigsmile:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chimp_spanner

18 Sep 2017

Oh damn where to start! Look first of all...I'm no Reason fanboy or kiss-arse. Is there room for improvement? 100%. Of course there is. However, Reason isn't unique in that regard and I wish people would stop acting like it is. I mean, I'm having to use Cubase for the first time in a long time for a job and it's an utterly joyless (and frustrating) experience. Cubase is as many versions in as Reason (probably more) and it still has no global undo. I still can't add a device or track without pausing the entire audio stream and sending tempo-sync'd instruments out of whack. It still has lousy automation with no static/default automation values. It has nothing even close to the rear panel cabling and near limitless freedom that brings. It's limited to 8 insert slots. It won't recognise MIDI devices if they're disconnected and reconnected during a session.

So for me, on these points alone, Reason is so very far from the "worst DAW ever".

Now, VST support; yeah, it needs some work. I do feel like I have less overhead than in Cubase (although Cubase itself has gotten SO much worse for CPU in the last two or three versions). But...if you're using Reason to use 10 Omnispheres...I think you're missing the point of Reason. It can go so far beyond that, using only stock and native RE plugins at a fraction of the CPU cost. It has always been able to. I get it; PH are marketing Reason as an alternative host for all your favourite plugins. Personally, VSTs are probably 1/10 of the instruments in a project for me, because rack devices do the same job most plugins do, and better, because they're more tightly integrated.

TBH I can see why they put off adding it for so long. People kept asking, and asking, and now they've got it they're complaining about problems that didn't exist before VST support (namely stability and performance, both of which Reason was legendary for, and still is btw if you don't use VST). Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we have it. But boy oh boy have they let themselves in for some hassle, at least until they've got it optimised. Which I agree, it needs to be at some point.

Short version; it sounds to me as if perhaps you ought to just be using something else, if all you wanna do is chuck in VSTs. You're missing SO much of what made Reason great before plugin support. And that's not anything bad or wrong, btw. It just means you have different needs and different expectations. But from where I'm sat - as someone who pays their rent with Reason - it is so not the "worst DAW ever" ;)

*Edit: I will quickly add though that I desperately want group/folder tracks, some kind of device visibility zones, better audio editing and custom plugin lists, among many other things. Like I said, always room for improvement.

aeox
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2017

18 Sep 2017
aeox wrote:
17 Sep 2017

From my testing it makes about 40 MB more of ram, and it actually costs MORE CPU to run them all in one Kontakt player.

Miss Controllerism

18 Sep 2017

Innerst wrote:
18 Sep 2017
Miss, I think you expose some very interesting self centered personal behavior with this post.

You have shown why Reason is the worst DAW for you personally, which is fair enough, but you present this as an objective truth relevant to everyone else :shock:

None of the things you present was ever a problem for me. And I have access to and have tried many other DAWs.

Even if Reason is the best current DAW for me personally, I would never communicate this subjective and personal fact as something objective and assume it must be true inside everyone else's head :lol:

Peace and self-reflectance :puf_smile:
oh yeah becoause probably not most of you use kontakt... basically kontakt in reason now its unusable.... with big project and this piss me off

• Information