Why actually reason is the worst DAW ever

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mguh22

19 Sep 2017

Miss Controllerism wrote:
17 Sep 2017
really upset to say but everything its explained here in my video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LySCF-s ... e=youtu.be
Your example of groupings isn't accurate. You can group the output busses for multiple channels in the Mixer window and control their volumes with a single fader.

bama

19 Sep 2017

Well I've got Logic, Studio One, Protools and Reason (been along for the ride since it came out), and I use Reason exclusively now.
Audio, samples, synths everything. To be honest, I never invested much in Plugins, I tried to get stuff done with what the respective DAW had to offer. The most money I invested in plugins went out for REs. They're stable, and they work beautifully. What I need is available in several different versions.
Only thing I ever missed was Slate Drums, and only 'cause I'm too lazy to program a decent Drumset with samples and then throwing together the combinator to make them sound great. Even there though, I got a decent working set. Well now I'm happy in that respect too, Slate works perfectly.
Up to now I've never hit the ceiling CPU wise.
What I never had in any other DAW, is the unrivalled connectivity of devices that Reason gives me, and in a visually easy to understand fashion. Turn the Rack, start plugging.
What I'm saying is, accept the limitations Reason has, and if it doesn't do what you want it to, Rewire it to something else that does.
I've had a lot of fun watching other people struggle with VSTs in other DAWs starting with passwords, implementation, and hours of rebooting, lost projects, Blabla. Ever since VSTs came out people have had heart attacks because of them.
Not always of course, but quite a few times we just opened my laptop, and did stuff in Reason.
New features are always appreciated, but if I don't have them, there's always a way to get things done differently
By the way, I never understood the "keep opening instances of x until The DAW goes belly up" and then getting all worked up, cause it's only so many.
Ah well, to each their own.

Miss Controllerism

19 Sep 2017

mguh22 wrote:
19 Sep 2017
17 Sep 2017
really upset to say but everything its explained here in my video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LySCF-s ... e=youtu.be
Your example of groupings isn't accurate. You can group the output busses for multiple channels in the Mixer window and control their volumes with a single fader.

while grouping tracks in the mixer its usefull a you can do it.. i want to group them also in the sequencer and its not possible right now

Miss Controllerism

19 Sep 2017

bama wrote:
19 Sep 2017
Well I've got Logic, Studio One, Protools and Reason (been along for the ride since it came out), and I use Reason exclusively now.
Audio, samples, synths everything. To be honest, I never invested much in Plugins, I tried to get stuff done with what the respective DAW had to offer. The most money I invested in plugins went out for REs. They're stable, and they work beautifully. What I need is available in several different versions.
Only thing I ever missed was Slate Drums, and only 'cause I'm too lazy to program a decent Drumset with samples and then throwing together the combinator to make them sound great. Even there though, I got a decent working set. Well now I'm happy in that respect too, Slate works perfectly.
Up to now I've never hit the ceiling CPU wise.
What I never had in any other DAW, is the unrivalled connectivity of devices that Reason gives me, and in a visually easy to understand fashion. Turn the Rack, start plugging.
What I'm saying is, accept the limitations Reason has, and if it doesn't do what you want it to, Rewire it to something else that does.
I've had a lot of fun watching other people struggle with VSTs in other DAWs starting with passwords, implementation, and hours of rebooting, lost projects, Blabla. Ever since VSTs came out people have had heart attacks because of them.
Not always of course, but quite a few times we just opened my laptop, and did stuff in Reason.
New features are always appreciated, but if I don't have them, there's always a way to get things done differently
By the way, I never understood the "keep opening instances of x until The DAW goes belly up" and then getting all worked up, cause it's only so many.
Ah well, to each their own.

well everyone has its standard.. to me rack extension are good to interface wit reason but defintely are not powerfull as a vst can be... So for my using only Re its a limitation even if i can combine the, the same for the refills... refills are not at the same quality of kontakt unfortunatley.. thi sis another lacking of propellerhead , they never invested in good quality samples libraries... thats why kontakt its important to use in my projects

davidvilla

19 Sep 2017

Miss C, I respect your non-biased opinion and the blunt truths you speak that no one here wants to hear. :thumbs_up:

The excuses we keep making for Propellerhead - those need to stop TODAY.

It's time for new leadership.

ERNST NEEDS TO GO.

chimp_spanner

19 Sep 2017

19 Sep 2017
well everyone has its standard.. to me rack extension are good to interface wit reason but defintely are not powerfull as a vst can be... So for my using only Re its a limitation even if i can combine the, the same for the refills... refills are not at the same quality of kontakt unfortunatley.. thi sis another lacking of propellerhead , they never invested in good quality samples libraries... thats why kontakt its important to use in my projects
Oh yeah I mean to be clear, Kontakt support is the biggest deal for me, precisely because there's nothing to touch those libraries in Reason (Albion, Studio Drummers, Damage, etc.). So I don't think it's unreasonable to want to use Kontakt extensively in Reason. Not at all. And I'll say again, I agree totally that VST support has to be greatly optimised in the next update. Enough people have posted videos comparing performance between Reason and any other VST host to prove that it is a problem for people who want to use plugins for the majority (or entirety) of their sound source.

I don't think anyone here is blinded to the need for improvement. We all want the software to get better!

EdGrip

19 Sep 2017

I don't really think we, as a forum whose favourite pastime* is moaning about our personal Reason pet peeves, is lacking in brave maverick truth-sayers who dare to criticise Reason.

*Maybe 2nd favourite after "talking about the latest RE release".

plaamook

19 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
18 Sep 2017
17 Sep 2017
Clearly you've never used Reaper. :lol: :puf_bigsmile:
Or Logic!! ;)
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

stratatonic

19 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
18 Sep 2017
17 Sep 2017
Now with Spectral Editing...

EnochLight

19 Sep 2017

stratatonic wrote:
19 Sep 2017
Now with Spectral Editing...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSBO_VC9q3E
You can put all the makeup you want on that elephant, but at the end of the day - it's still an elephant. :puf_bigsmile:
davidvilla wrote:
19 Sep 2017
Miss C, I respect your non-biased opinion and the blunt truths you speak that no one here wants to hear. :thumbs_up:

The excuses we keep making for Propellerhead - those need to stop TODAY.

It's time for new leadership.

ERNST NEEDS TO GO.

Computer-Guy-Facepalm.jpg
Computer-Guy-Facepalm.jpg (12.93 KiB) Viewed 4646 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Miss Controllerism

19 Sep 2017

plaamook wrote:
19 Sep 2017
EnochLight wrote:
18 Sep 2017

Or Logic!! ;)

well reaper and logic they dont have Cv and re and routing ... but at least they have more features than reason

EnochLight

19 Sep 2017

19 Sep 2017
well reaper and logic they dont have Cv and re and routing ... but at least they have more features than reason
You can't fix ugly, no matter how many features you add. :lol: :puf_bigsmile: Also, the workflow of Reaper is complete ass, IMHO. I can't vouch for Logic, as I haven't used it in years.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

PhutureD

19 Sep 2017

plaamook wrote:
19 Sep 2017
EnochLight wrote:
18 Sep 2017

Or Logic!! ;)
Cant say much about logic , but reaper , oh my hat. Talk about unstable.... even with the latest updates. Im certain that Reaper
can claim the award for most crashes per session. Dont really want to use it all that much but I have spent a bit small of cash on VST in the past and its hard to ignore all the free VST emulations of hardware synths:)

Mati Navas

19 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
19 Sep 2017
19 Sep 2017
You can't fix ugly, no matter how many features you add. :lol: :puf_bigsmile: Also, the workflow of Reaper is complete ass, IMHO. I can't vouch for Logic, as I haven't used it in years.

Dunno why Reaper is bashed here. This DAW is what you make out of it. It's just not for the instant gratification type of person.

@MissControllerism:
Maybe come back later when Reason 10 has been released. I think the next update will bring additions to the main program/sequencer.

Oquasec

19 Sep 2017

Reason is a gigantic modular system that happens to be a daw.
Reaper is a daw.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

davidvilla

19 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
19 Sep 2017

If Reason was a football team, Ernst would have been fired a loooooong time ago.

EnochLight

19 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
19 Sep 2017
EnochLight wrote:
19 Sep 2017

If Reason was a football team, Ernst would have been fired a loooooong time ago.
Well, you can say that - yet Reason continues to be profitable, and each and every release (arguably) brings something to the table that pleases many. Propellerhead was certainly profitable enough to make it an attractive investment for Verdane, that's for sure.

But I suppose we all need someone to call a villain in the story, and for you - it's clearly Ernst.

davidvilla

19 Sep 2017

Lol, my Chicago Bears make lots of money, and if they were on the market, someone would buy them for a shitload of money. Yet they absolutely SUCK. So there.

motuscott

19 Sep 2017

weeeee
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

joeyluck

19 Sep 2017

18 Sep 2017
Innerst wrote:
18 Sep 2017
Miss, I think you expose some very interesting self centered personal behavior with this post.

You have shown why Reason is the worst DAW for you personally, which is fair enough, but you present this as an objective truth relevant to everyone else :shock:

None of the things you present was ever a problem for me. And I have access to and have tried many other DAWs.

Even if Reason is the best current DAW for me personally, I would never communicate this subjective and personal fact as something objective and assume it must be true inside everyone else's head :lol:

Peace and self-reflectance :puf_smile:
oh yeah becoause probably not most of you use kontakt... basically kontakt in reason now its unusable.... with big project and this piss me off
Kontakt in general is a pain. I wish more developers just released their libraries housed in their own plugins or sample players. I'm currently giving Kontakt another chance because there were a few libraries that caught my eye recently. It's such a mess and pain with complicated installation, authorization, and organization. A Browser that doesn't work for all libraries. Then this quick load option that I guess is there compensate for libraries incompatible with the browser. Installations of libraries that vary greatly from one to the other. Many which are looooong installation processes. It's difficult to work across systems with your libraries. It's so clunky and cumbersome. I don't get how or why people put up with it. This is why it's just about the worst to me.

Oquasec

19 Sep 2017

I think kontakt is alright. I just don't use it much cuz it's a workflow killer, even if integrated into a daw.
Not to mention, it's layout is meh.

I'd rather see all those turned into refills...
Last edited by Oquasec on 19 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EnochLight

19 Sep 2017

joeyluck wrote:
19 Sep 2017
Kontakt in general is a pain. I wish more developers just released their libraries housed in their own plugins or sample players. I'm currently giving Kontakt another chance because there were a few libraries that caught my eye recently. It's such a mess and pain with complicated installation, authorization, and organization. A Browser that doesn't work for all libraries. Then this quick load option that I guess is there compensate for libraries incompatible with the browser. Installations of libraries that vary greatly from one to the other. Many which are looooong installation processes. It's difficult to work across systems with your libraries. It's so clunky and cumbersome. I don't get how or why people put up with it. This is why it's just about the worst to me.
I literally bought two Kontakt libraries - and returned them not even a week later (Output's Exhale and Rev) because after I went through the hell of installing them, authorizing, activating, building the library, etc - they were both locked into these ridiculously tiny GUI/UX! That said, I never had any trouble playing multiple instances of Kontakt stuff in Reason's browser.

But yeah, clunky and cumbersome is putting it lightly - it's completely irritating!

joeyluck

19 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
19 Sep 2017
joeyluck wrote:
19 Sep 2017
I literally bought two Kontakt libraries - and returned them not even a week later (Output's Exhale and Rev) because after I went through the hell of installing them, authorizing, activating, building the library, etc - they were both locked into these ridiculously tiny GUI/UX! That said, I never had any trouble playing multiple instances of Kontakt stuff in Reason's browser.

But yeah, clunky and cumbersome is putting it lightly - it's completely irritating!
Oh yeah the Output ones are great examples. They have a series of videos to walk you through the long processes.

Lots of pausing and checking to make sure you are doing the right thing... It's funny to me that at the end of these videos they say, "That's it!" Like it was simple haha. Just give me individual plugins, VST or RE and let me just install those.

davidvilla

19 Sep 2017

Wow....you've all been handicapped by your dedication to Reason.

Time to take the training wheels off, don't you think?

EnochLight

19 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
19 Sep 2017
Wow....you've all been handicapped by your dedication to Reason.

Time to take the training wheels off, don't you think?
That's adorable. Condescend, much? :roll:

I've been using other DAW - and VST - for many years. If you think what Joey and I are discussing isn't par for the course when dealing with Kontakt libraries, you're being disingenuous.

• Information