Why is REX slice 1 blank?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
evolve187

17 Sep 2017

I often notice REX files will have a ghost midi note on the first slice that has no sound, then the beat starts at the same time on slice 2.

Is there any particular reason people make REX files with a blank slice 1? I don't see the point. if you do please enlighten me. :?

Thanks.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

https://soundcloud.com/terry-wilson-music

Marco Raaphorst

17 Sep 2017

ReCycle will ask you to move the first locator for the first slice when it find this silence. You can ignore this message which make sense when you don't want to affect the groove. Not everything needs to be quantised.

selig
RE Developer

17 Sep 2017

The cases I've seen have the second slice start AFTER the first, sometimes by only a few clicks. I'm not sure why anyone would do otherwise on purpose.

If you use the "copy loop to track" function and zoom in on the front you'll be able to see for yourself (or simply select the second slice and note the start time). On a loop I just checked, the second slice was only 5 ticks behind the first, which is probably how the loop was played originally (I would guess).
Selig Audio, LLC

evolve187

17 Sep 2017

Yeah, I seen REX loops where the first beats is delayed a few ticks but definitely others that have the 1st slice (silence) and second slice (1st beat) both on the first tick... anyhow it doesn't affect it in anyway other than the extra useless midi note...just found it odd.

thanks for your responses!
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

selig
RE Developer

18 Sep 2017

evolve187 wrote:Yeah, I seen REX loops where the first beats is delayed a few ticks but definitely others that have the 1st slice (silence) and second slice (1st beat) both on the first tick... anyhow it doesn't affect it in anyway other than the extra useless midi note...just found it odd.

Even if they had the same tick number they could still be delayed by sub ticks, indicated by an asterisk (*) after the tick number.

Just out of curiosity, do you have an example of a REX loop with the first two slices on the same exactly tick? How long is the first slice in this case?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

evolve187

18 Sep 2017

selig wrote:
18 Sep 2017
evolve187 wrote:Yeah, I seen REX loops where the first beats is delayed a few ticks but definitely others that have the 1st slice (silence) and second slice (1st beat) both on the first tick... anyhow it doesn't affect it in anyway other than the extra useless midi note...just found it odd.

Even if they had the same tick number they could still be delayed by sub ticks, indicated by an asterisk (*) after the tick number.

Just out of curiosity, do you have an example of a REX loop with the first two slices on the same exactly tick? How long is the first slice in this case?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Sorry I don't have an example on hand...lost where is was .but in the instances where I've seen this the first two midi notes for each slice are on the zero mark. I have zoomed in.

Marco Raaphorst

19 Sep 2017

Yes what Giles says, probably slices are so close to each other that they are almost on the same tick. Reason doesn't have a more precise tick value for this, so shows an asterics after the value. Slices can never fall exactly on the same beat. It works in series in ReCycle.

If that happens, it is a faulty loop imo. 2 beats so close to each other should never be included. Must say: making perfect REX loops is not so easy. You can do it on auto-pilot. It's really a balanced act of getting the attacks of all slices, which is often a compromise and can take a lot of time.

syncanonymous

19 Sep 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
19 Sep 2017
Yes what Giles says, probably slices are so close to each other that they are almost on the same tick. Reason doesn't have a more precise tick value for this, so shows an asterics after the value. Slices can never fall exactly on the same beat. It works in series in ReCycle.

If that happens, it is a faulty loop imo. 2 beats so close to each other should never be included. Must say: making perfect REX loops is not so easy. You can do it on auto-pilot. It's really a balanced act of getting the attacks of all slices, which is often a compromise and can take a lot of time.
Shouldn't this thread get moved over to the Recycle sub-forum ;-P

Yep, like Marco says, working with Recycle there can be a lot of back and forth cutting the loop just right in your DAW so there isn't a ghost slice spacer at the beginning. It makes sense to leave the ghost in if those clicks are crucial to retain groove. I am pretty sure you can delete slices including the audio between in Recycle, I know I have done it before. It isn't an easily realized functionality, you have to go digging to learn how to do it. I think it is like a cropping function where you can only delete the first or last slice IIRC. I find it easier to cut in SawStudio where the zoom is extensive and very precise and then restart the Recycle work.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

evolve187

20 Sep 2017

syncanonymous wrote:
19 Sep 2017
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
19 Sep 2017

Yep, like Marco says, working with Recycle there can be a lot of back and forth cutting the loop just right in your DAW so there isn't a ghost slice spacer at the beginning. It makes sense to leave the ghost in if those clicks are crucial to retain groove. I am pretty sure you can delete slices including the audio between in Recycle, I know I have done it before. It isn't an easily realized functionality, you have to go digging to learn how to do it. I think it is like a cropping function where you can only delete the first or last slice IIRC. I find it easier to cut in SawStudio where the zoom is extensive and very precise and then restart the Recycle work.
And just to be clear my post was not about Recycle at all. I don't own it. This is in the the midi lane when you send notes to track from a Rex loop. and that the first midi note it generates has no sound on it. thanks.

Marco Raaphorst

20 Sep 2017

evolve187 wrote:
20 Sep 2017
syncanonymous wrote:
19 Sep 2017

And just to be clear my post was not about Recycle at all. I don't own it. This is in the the midi lane when you send notes to track from a Rex loop. and that the first midi note it generates has no sound on it. thanks.
Yes, I understand. I was trying to explain how these rex-loops are generated in ReCycle. It works the same in Reason, there are only less parameters. But also in Reason you can only setup slice-markers in serial.

• Information