Propellerhead separates from Allihoopa

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jagwah

16 Sep 2017

...and Take and Figure.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/allihoop ... ps-with-it

Personally I never used all three of these, Allihoopa was surrounded by strange legalities that a lot of people didn't like and I never got over how something is apparently ready for remix by just being there - no multi track, no nothing just one .wav file. As for the others I don't do mobile apps much, but I understand the market is there.

Rant aside, what does this mean for Props, and Reason? Any opinions?

Steedus
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2017

Never understood what the whole Allihoopa thing was about. I just remember seeing one day that Figure was all of sudden labelled as an "Allihoopa" app rather than from Propellerhead and thought .. that's weird.

Zac

17 Sep 2017

This separation makes good sense to me. For me if you're noodling on an app like Figure then sharing your doodles for reaction or to be built on is a fun idea.

It was just much less likely to be of interest to people using Reason who are more likely to want to have ownership of their work?

I still intend to use Allihoopa when I get the urge to see how things can build.

miscend

17 Sep 2017

So Thor for iPad stays with Props?

I heard they are working on a Reason for iOS.

syncanonymous

17 Sep 2017

I'd love Reason on ipad for sending CC to guitar preamp and fx w/o laptop.

I never got into Allihoopa or Take . I have used Figure for a couple of art installations and it has been great for that. More sounds on Figure would be nice.

It is a smart branding adjustment by PHeads to focus on the flagship product. It's ok to diversify, but best done under completely separate businesses. Consumers prefer clearly understanding a company's offerings; sub-branding equals a confusing message that can make customers wary. :-)

So, sign me up for Reason on iOS; although I would use Reason in a different manner than typical music making. I have been looking for curve sequencer iOS apps and haven't found anything that I have pulled the trigger on. Xynthesizer looks most interesting to me so far.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

per-anders

17 Sep 2017

I'd love thave have airdrop for reason between iOS and my Mac or PC. Or to just be able to work in the same project on multiple devices, using a touch interface for mixing etc without having to use touch OSC, or being able to use iOS synths and combine them and GarageBand drummer into Reason via Audiobus, then carry on working on the PC etc,

stfual

18 Sep 2017

When you have a new owner they tend to look at your products with a more critical eye and without emotional attachment. Whats making money. whats losing money, what can we sell and how do we need to change the product to do that.
This can range from gentle tweaking of the product portfolio to full on asset stripping. Splitting them up makes it much easier to figure out where your costs are going and your revenue is coming from and much easier to package and sell individual parts (or kill them).
Generally legacy products are for milking revenue from. Innovative stars are for selling for IP or killing.
This is pure speculation but I have been thinking lately that it is not impossible that Microsoft would like a nice DAW app to liven up the surface range and bring some actual "creative" to windows 10 creative and compete with Logic

EnochLight

18 Sep 2017

Jagwah wrote:
16 Sep 2017
...and Take and Figure.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/allihoop ... ps-with-it

Personally I never used all three of these, Allihoopa was surrounded by strange legalities that a lot of people didn't like and I never got over how something is apparently ready for remix by just being there - no multi track, no nothing just one .wav file. As for the others I don't do mobile apps much, but I understand the market is there.

Rant aside, what does this mean for Props, and Reason? Any opinions?
This is old news - they separated and became a different company well over a year ago - possibly two. I have no idea why Music Radar is only reporting now. Maybe they just got caught up? :lol: :puf_bigsmile:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Jagwah

18 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
18 Sep 2017
This is old news - they separated and became a different company well over a year ago - possibly two. I have no idea why Music Radar is only reporting now. Maybe they just got caught up? :lol: :puf_bigsmile:
Oh OK my bad, never paid them much attention either way.

chimp_spanner

18 Sep 2017

Reason iOS...please let it be real, and please let it be good! Literally it just needs to have the full suite of core devices, back panel patching and generate .reason files that we can seamlessly transfer to desktop and it'll be an instant winner. Not even too fussed about REs, although if they can port stock devices I see no reason they can't port the rest of it. But, we'll see.

kuhliloach

18 Sep 2017

When I first installed Take I became instantly disgusted. The feeling still lingers. It would not let me make my own beat and loop it, but rather tried to force me to use its built-in beats. Only a greedy shameful company would create a music program that can record your voice while insisting on using pre-fab beats.

EnochLight

18 Sep 2017

kuhliloach wrote:
18 Sep 2017
Only a greedy shameful company would create a music program that can record your voice while insisting on using pre-fab beats.
Really? I mean come on, man. :roll: I can see being disappointed that a particular product doesn't have the features you want, but calling them "greedy shameful" just seems way off the mark. Both Figure and Take are free apps - LOL!!!! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

scratchnsnifff

19 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
18 Sep 2017
kuhliloach wrote:
18 Sep 2017
Only a greedy shameful company would create a music program that can record your voice while insisting on using pre-fab beats.
Really? I mean come on, man. :roll: I can see being disappointed that a particular product doesn't have the features you want, but calling them "greedy shameful" just seems way off the mark. Both Figure and Take are free apps - LOL!!!! :lol:

I could have sworn that I had to pay 20 or so for figure? Did it become free later on?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

sdst
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2017

Allihoopa the place where others can take your music without asking you. lol

this is very good news

Oquasec

19 Sep 2017

Is props gonna add a sync to soundcloud option in reason 10 since allihoopa done?
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Loque

19 Sep 2017

Oquasec wrote:
19 Sep 2017
Is props gonna add a sync to soundcloud option in reason 10 since allihoopa done?
Soundcloud is dead, if they add something, they add bandcamp or similar stuff :lol:
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

19 Sep 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
19 Sep 2017
I could have sworn that I had to pay 20 or so for figure? Did it become free later on?
If it cost anything at any point, it was likely $0.99 USD/0.83 Euro, in which case - my point still stands. :puf_bigsmile:

ReBirth for iOS cost something like 20 or so for a time, but that's an entirely different subject.

Oquasec

19 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
19 Sep 2017
Oquasec wrote:
19 Sep 2017
Soundcloud is dead, if they add something, they add bandcamp or similar stuff :lol:
Sync to bandcamp or sync to twitter would be fucking amazing.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

kuhliloach

19 Sep 2017

[/quote]

It's worse than that :lol: perhaps the better word is 'deceptive'. It almost doesn't even qualify as music 'creation' software, especially with the Allihoopa angle. The underlying message is 'dont be original' 'borrow beats' 'share borrowed beats on our social service'. Does any part of this scenario belong with a good music software company? I think not. Let the shameful greedy deceptive company deal with all that and sell their products to people who want to borrow instead of produce.

EnochLight

19 Sep 2017

kuhliloach wrote:
19 Sep 2017
It's worse than that :lol: perhaps the better word is 'deceptive'. It almost doesn't even qualify as music 'creation' software, especially with the Allihoopa angle. The underlying message is 'dont be original' 'borrow beats' 'share borrowed beats on our social service'. Does any part of this scenario belong with a good music software company? I think not. Let the shameful greedy deceptive company deal with all that and sell their products to people who want to borrow instead of produce.
Sorry, but I really feel that's nonsense. By your definition, every single REX loop ever made is "borrowed beats". :roll: Again, I fail to see how providing a free service, with free apps, that encourages music making, falls under the category of "shameful greedy deceptive". I'll bash a company any second of the day when I feel they're being shameful, greedy, or deceptive - but this doesn't seem to fall under that category. At all.

kuhliloach

19 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
19 Sep 2017
kuhliloach wrote:
19 Sep 2017
Sorry, but I really feel that's nonsense. By your definition, every single REX loop ever made is "borrowed beats". :roll: Again, I fail to see how providing a free service, with free apps, that encourages music making, falls under the category of "shameful greedy deceptive". I'll bash a company any second of the day when I feel they're being shameful, greedy, or deceptive - but this doesn't seem to fall under that category. At all.
Simple - to the unsuspecting App Store customer the nature of the product isn't evident until after downloading and being steered into a particular direction. People just want to be creative and make music with cool tools -- not be steered into some controlled sound with controlled services.

EnochLight

19 Sep 2017

kuhliloach wrote:
19 Sep 2017
Simple - to the unsuspecting App Store customer the nature of the product isn't evident until after downloading and being steered into a particular direction. People just want to be creative and make music with cool tools -- not be steered into some controlled sound with controlled services.
So let's see... a free app ecosystem that allows you to post (or download other) free content, with no obligation, is "being steered into some controlled sound with controller services"?

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're upset about. Are you mad because Allihoopa/Figure/Take makes using Reason attractive (you do realize that Allihoopa/Figure/Take work with several other apps, too, right)? I mean, how can you slight a company for trying to sell their flagship products - with free apps? They're in business to make money, not be a charitable organization to fulfill all of the entitled kid's demands all over the world. Or are you just mad because Figure has stock/built-in beats?

If you want be creative and use cool tools - all those services seem to fulfill those demands. I just think your complaints a more feature suggestions, that's all. Certainly not a reason to accuse the manufacturer of said FREE apps of being as malicious as you claim.

syncanonymous

19 Sep 2017

We used Figure for a couple of successful art exhibitions where we set up 3 ipads on stands and vistors queued up to interact using Figure Playing through the house speakers. We had musicians assist the punters & non-musicians, children interested in making music and seasoned players and tinkerers and the generally curious all enjoyed it. You can do some kool key change and scalar stuff when you have several devices playing simultaneously . Yes, sounds are limited which is the main negative issue. Beats? Kinda, you change beat divisions on the fly for all 3 instruments. Get 3 or four ios devices going at once and it can be fun. Gettin hoidy toidy about the sounds is kinda pointless for a free app that has a pretty innovative UI.

When I got my ipad 3 yrs ago, Figure was the first app I installed. Initially I was disappointed and didn't really do anything with it. These art installations we did in the past year or so, though, changed my view; I had to gain a deeper understanding and discovered some fun stuff. Comparing Figure with Reason doesn't make sense, they are such different animals at vastly different price points. I am not suggesting anyone in this thread is comparing Figure to Reason, just that they are totally different things.

Btw, it was 0.79€ and 0.99$ as EL rightly said. I am sure I paid for Figure originally & it became free shortly thereafter. I didn't mind, that's super cheap for a nifty app.

The thing about all this social media for PHeads is that they encourage the visitors of their web site to "be our friend " but I never see them engage. It's a one way friendship...we were tweeting away at those art installations, before, during and after and nothing. I guess they gots too many friends...or don't spend much time on twitter. The only engagement I have experienced with PHeads on twitter is talking technical or usage about Reason. I suppose they don't promise engagement, just ask web site visitors to become their friends on snm;-P
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

• Information