Re's and VSTs compatibility

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
etyrnal

16 Sep 2017

It should be a crime to create rack extensions or vsts that are os dependent. You can easily wind up in a situation where a rack extension or VST is chained to one version of an operating system yet the Daw that you're hosting it in could be on a different limit. Makes no sense. I think the rack extensions and the vsts should be completely independent.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Loque

16 Sep 2017

RE are independent.
Reason12, Win10

normen

21 Sep 2017

This is actually one exact thing RE tries to solve.

See, VST itself is not a library, it doesn't contrain any actual code that does audio processing, file access or anything really. Its basically just a definition on how two programs should talk to each other (an "interface" in programmer talk). When these programs DO something they still have to do it like any other application, by invoking the functions of the OS to read files, access memory etc. etc.

VSTs can of course themselves use libraries that work as an intermediary between the OS and the plugin so the code for the plugin stays mostly the same for each platform but then the developer of the library has to adapt it for each OS, basically just passing along the "dependency candle".

So yeah, you are basically FORCED to make VST platform dependent because they ARE normal, platform-dependent software. (Any haters notice: I defend VST here!! ;))

REs in turn don't have to use the OS to do stuff, they use Reason. And Reason is the same on each platform. But of course Reason can't access UAD hardware either if you see what I'm getting at :)

• Information