Playing out live with Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mdesouza

15 Sep 2017

Can anyone talk about their experiences playing out live with Reason? I am a guitar player thinking about getting out and playing some gigs with some prerecorded stuff. I saw this guy on youtube:

And thought that would be a great way to do a gig. Having never done this before I'm not sure what all is involved though? THe laundry list of things to cart around would seem to be:
Macbook
Interface box
guitar
Keyboard controller
sturdy stands for said macbook and keyboard

I'd like to hear your thoughts!

Thanks,
Mark

Nerveclinic

15 Sep 2017

If I were playing guitar, with Reason as accompaniment, I would take everything on the track that had nothing to do with the guitar and make an audio file. Then while that audio file is being played for the audience I would play guitar live, only having those tracks in Reason being used for effects for example.

plaamook

15 Sep 2017

I'll say this... Careful not to skip the playhead!
I was playing a gig in Zurich few years back. It was down by a river and hot as hell so they left the doors open at the venue. I'm playing in complete darkness as requested, only the light of my mac in the room, and every bug in there was buzzing aroung the light. So I've got these thiungs bouncing off my head and I went to swat one and jumped the playhead! I don't think anyone noticed as it's all a bit odd music anyway but still!
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

mdesouza

15 Sep 2017

Nerveclinic wrote:
15 Sep 2017
If I were playing guitar, with Reason as accompaniment, I would take everything on the track that had nothing to do with the guitar and make an audio file. Then while that audio file is being played for the audience I would play guitar live, only having those tracks in Reason being used for effects for example.
That sounds reasonable. A simple solution would be to record down to MP3 or AIFF, transfer to iphone, create set list, go in through my AUX in on my little cheap amp. Boom. Done. I am interested in maybe having a little bit of leeway in the case that i want to create something on the spot though.

Nerveclinic

16 Sep 2017

mdesouza wrote:
15 Sep 2017
A simple solution would be to record down to MP3 or AIFF, transfer to iphone, create set list, go in through my AUX in on my little cheap amp. Boom. Done. I am interested in maybe having a little bit of leeway in the case that i want to create something on the spot though.
I did intend the audio file to be made into an .AIFF file to be played back...you lost me at the cheap amp.

If you want to create something on the spot then in a edition to the guitar track, keep one or two other tracks open to mess with.

QVprod

16 Sep 2017

mdesouza wrote:
15 Sep 2017

And thought that would be a great way to do a gig. Having never done this before I'm not sure what all is involved though? THe laundry list of things to cart around would seem to be:
Macbook
Interface box
guitar
Keyboard controller
It's just as simple as it sounds. The concept of what's done in the video is no different than what's done with Reason at home or in a studio. You can record loops to different tracks and add instruments without ever stopping playback. If you're only doing prerecorded stuff then bringing Reason still works but it's overkill.

Faxxer

17 Sep 2017

We used Reason in a gig as our mixing and effects board. we had 3 mics, a Korg 01/w ALSO midi tapping a combinator from one of Bittley's collection...so 2 synths playing if ya wanna be technical...one line in and the other a Reason synth. Also we had an acoustic guitar..... We use a TASCAM 1800 interface on a pc running AMD 8120 cpu.

We had a TINY bit of latency....I had lots and lots of effects on each mic, all different kinds, Neptunes, you name it... set the mix live and we played 2 hours without any issues....no drummer or drums on that one but it sounded absolutely AMAZING using the SSL mixer as our primary source of mixing control. I wish I could do it more but we just don't get to play out that much....... to top it off I hit the record button and we got the whole thing captured.

was pretty fun and amazing....I felt like I encountered a new spiritual event that day with Reason lol
:essentials: :adapted: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :rebirth: :reason: :record: :refill: :ignition: :o

Iapetus 9

18 Sep 2017

I've used it as a Kuassa ampsim host for a few pick up gigs, and it was always rock solid...no probs. I wouldn't expect anything less from Reason. Now if someone could only code a good spring verb, I'd put the Super Reverb in the basement, but that's another story.
38L > 51D every time.

EnochLight

18 Sep 2017

mdesouza wrote:
15 Sep 2017
Can anyone talk about their experiences playing out live with Reason? I am a guitar player thinking about getting out and playing some gigs with some prerecorded stuff. I saw this guy on youtube:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sKcF8bWBZM

Macbook
Interface box
guitar
Keyboard controller

I'd like to hear your thoughts!

Thanks,
Mark
This sort of performance can be done quite easily with OchenK's Repeat Looper in Reason (have captions on in YouTube for detailed instructions during this video):

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/repeat-looper/
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information