Motorized Control Surface

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
brand

14 Sep 2017

OK, here's another post on control surfaces. Sorry.

I have read everything I could find here, and all over, and I'm still having trouble making a decision on a motorized fader control surface. And there's been a lot discussed here, which has been really helpful. Anyone who wants to chime in, I'd appreciate it. I think I have it narrowed down as follows: Faderport 8, X Touch, or Mackie MCU Pro. I know that none will be trouble-free in Reason. (I hope that idea of an actual purpose-built control for Reason can become a reality). Not to say I can't accept some limitations, but I'd like it if what I bought worked well ...mostly.

Between the FP8 and the X Touch, I'm leaning towards the FP8 in this price range. The X Touch seems to have issues, many discussed right here, that bother me. Like having to power cycle to reset the clip light for example. Although, I like the layout of the X Touch. On the FP8, I still don't quite see how the master fader can follow the rotary encoder with the master button in Reason; maybe I'm missing something there. And, I don't understand the thinking behind not having 8 plus a master in the FP8; maybe it's a Studio One thing. Let's face it, the FP8 was made native for Studio One. But from my research, it just seems like the FP8 will play with Reason better than the X Touch. Therefore, the FP8 should edge out the X Touch.

Now, the MCU looks really good to me, but is twice the price of either the FP8 (or X Touch). So if I could somehow ignore the price, between the FP8 and the MCU, I'd lean towards the MCU.

Any thoughts on this?

• Information