Going from Reason 5 to 9?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
LordLarsa

11 Sep 2017

Hello!

I didn't compose on Reason since a long time. I actually didn't update Reason 5 since it came out, and I wanted to know if it worth it to upgrade it to version 9? Knowing that I don't record voices, neither guitar, nor external instruments. Anyway, the only thing is that I use VST (I was on Cubase all this time). I actually have almost no idea about what's new during all those versions which came out. But i looked at the trial 9.5 version, and it looks like except the IU which became larger and few effects modules, that's it. Maybe they added a lot of instruments? I'm a fan of the Combinator :)

Well anyway, thanks for your answer!

Miss Controllerism

11 Sep 2017

LordLarsa wrote:
11 Sep 2017
Hello!

I didn't compose on Reason since a long time. I actually didn't update Reason 5 since it came out, and I wanted to know if it worth it to upgrade it to version 9? Knowing that I don't record voices, neither guitar, nor external instruments. Anyway, the only thing is that I use VST (I was on Cubase all this time). I actually have almost no idea about what's new during all those versions which came out. But i looked at the trial 9.5 version, and it looks like except the IU which became larger and few effects modules, that's it. Maybe they added a lot of instruments? I'm a fan of the Combinator :)

if you like reason workflow and its particular modular concept then you should definetly upgrade from 5 to 9 , a lot of features youl lfind out ... from all the effect like the echo..pulverizer..alligator, etcc.. to pitch edit.. players.. bounc ein place.. wave to midi and finally VST support

EnochLight

11 Sep 2017

LordLarsa wrote:
11 Sep 2017
Hello!

Worth noting: if you use Reason 5 ReWired into another DAW as your preferred workflow because you like working in another DAW, then I probably wouldn't upgrade. If you want to shift all production/hosting to Reason, then upgrading to 9.5 makes sense. The difference between Reason 5 and Reason 9.5 is this: Reason 5 is a collection of virtual synths and samplers, and Reason 9.5 is a collection of virtual synths and samplers + a fully implemented DAW to host them in.

There's a ton of new content in 9.5 compared to 5.0 - more than "just a few effects". But it's mostly workflow related and the fact that 9.5 is a fully functional DAW, as well as a lot of new content (patches, Combi, etc).

What DAW are you using right now? If you have no need to record audio or vocals, then the only unique selling point of 9.5 for you is going to be able to host VST in Reason (which is pretty bad ass). Though... the new mixer (based on an SSL 9000K) makes it worth the price of upgrading alone, IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loque

11 Sep 2017

The question is, why you want to upgrade? What do you miss atm? If everything is fine, than dont upgrade.
Reason12, Win10

LordLarsa

12 Sep 2017

Thanks for your clear answers guys!
I was telling me that if I'm about to compose music again on Reason (and not though Cubase) it would be the opportunity to upgrade it. But in fact, I don't miss anything at the moment, I love it how it is. Right now, I use Cubase and I Rewire Reason into it. I guess it makes the work in order to use Reason and VST at the same time. Anyway the thing is that Cubase is such unstable and unfriendly to use + it's always a work that takes time to rewire Reason, and sometimes it crashes. It's okay but I dislike Cubase even years after of using, and still have a really good affection to Reason cause of its stability, it's user-friendliness like keeping things practical and straight to the point on the IU.
Last edited by LordLarsa on 12 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

ejanuska

12 Sep 2017

I say upgrade.
But only if your computer hardware can hang.

EnochLight

12 Sep 2017

LordLarsa wrote:
12 Sep 2017
Thanks for your clear answers guys!
I was telling me that if I'm about to compose music again on Reason (and not though Cubase) it would be the opportunity to upgrade it. But in fact, I don't miss anything at the moment, I love it how it is. Right now, I use Cubase and I Rewire Reason into it. I guess it makes the work in order to use Reason and VST at the same time. Anyway the thing is that Cubase is such unstable and unfriendly to use + it's always a work that takes time to rewire Reason, and sometimes it crashes. It's okay but I dislike Cubase even years after of using, and still have a really good affection to Reason cause of its stability, it's user-friendliness like keeping things practical and straight to the point on the IU.
If your experience in Cubase isn't that pleasant (crashing, hassling with ReWire, etc), then Reason 9.5 would be a great option. It's rock-solid stable (well, unless a bum VST brings it down), and everything "just works". No need to ever hassle with ReWire ever again, not to mention you can use all of Reason's stock devices and RE's as actual effects on any of your VST. And again, the mixer improvement in Reason between 5.0 and 9.5 is like night and day.

There will be a learning curve (since Reason - as a DAW - is totally different than 5.0 and before), but there's a ton of very in-depth videos available to get you started. Maybe give some a watch and try the demo of 9.5 before you buy?

Beginners/Basic: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftI-MHBhDV8&lis ... 87CD4601CD

Advanced: www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ7c23_2lnM&lis ... 3D3CFCB477

Reason 9.x specific: www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEXFGO5NKc0&lis ... PbTEOeFm0D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

LordLarsa

14 Sep 2017

By telling it's rock-sollid stable, it convinces me. I mean it's so much important for such software and work, otherwise it's just not nice (like Cubase). And I know Reason is very stable! Also the mixer improvement betwee 5.0 et 9.5.
Thanks for the links by the way, I'm gonna have a look at them.

EnochLight

14 Sep 2017

LordLarsa wrote:
14 Sep 2017
By telling it's rock-sollid stable, it convinces me. I mean it's so much important for such software and work, otherwise it's just not nice (like Cubase). And I know Reason is very stable! Also the mixer improvement betwee 5.0 et 9.5.
Thanks for the links by the way, I'm gonna have a look at them.
No worries - enjoy!

Oquasec

14 Sep 2017

Make sure you're on an i3/A4 or above before upgrading.
And good interface.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

syncanonymous

14 Sep 2017

Oquasec wrote:
14 Sep 2017
And good interface.
Good advice here; 8MB RAM minimum. My i3 was only allowing 16-18 tracks before I maxed the RAM; added SSD ; replaced thermal paste and cleaned the fan about a year ago. Now I get waaay better performance with Reason 8.3 on the same machine and it's quiet. I just finished a song today that has around 30 mixer channels, I couldn't do that before!

I had my Core 2 Duo machine out the other day with Reason 4 on it and I was struck by the huge difference to 8. There is one thing that had me scratching my head about the latest versions of Reason: when you want to move a midi note, automation node or change a Kong Slice chunk selelection in Reason 8; you have to hold down lftClk and wait a little while (1 or 2 seconds) until the little callout graphic appears before you can move the midi note(s) or automation node(s). The slice chuck doesn't have a graphic; it's just kinda annoying. In Reason 4: select and move; there is no waiting. It has taken some getting used to. Clearly, the possibilities with the plethora of devices available in later Reason versions are worth the aforementioned annoyance.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

Oquasec

14 Sep 2017

4gb ram is required, 8 is the standard, and anything above that is Ideal :]
Video editing rigs would most likely need a minimum of 16 to do professional stuff.
Producer/Programmer.

EnochLight

14 Sep 2017

Oquasec wrote:
14 Sep 2017
And good interface.
i3 is a processor line.

A4 is a processor socket type.

But I'd even recommend at least an i5, i7 or Ryzen equivalent, IMHO. i3 these days is just entry level stuff.

Oquasec

14 Sep 2017

Good lookin out
Producer/Programmer.

syncanonymous

15 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
14 Sep 2017
Oquasec wrote:
14 Sep 2017
And good interface.
i3 is a processor line.

A4 is a processor socket type.

But I'd even recommend at least an i5, i7 or Ryzen equivalent, IMHO. i3 these days is just entry level stuff.
And even, these days, a lot can be accomplished using "entry level stuff". ;-P

I've been ready for a higher spec computer for a while, but this recycled i3 laptop I been using has been getting me paid (clearly not enough). I somewhat use the limitations of my underpowered machine to keep songs & device count from getting too complex because most of my company's jobs are pretty low budget.

...Edit 24 hours later
Yesterday I tried to mix those 30 tracks I was talking about earlier on my ancient i3 370m. Add a few non stock compressors (Softube FET, FXpansion DCAM) and everything just goes clickity clack :-/.. Or grinds to a halt. So, entry level i3 is, I stand corrected. Now I am trying to figure out how to upgrade...to upgrade to what? With AMD finally being competition for Intel, I am not sure I buy it, yet. Intel has always been reliable IME. Can we hope for a price drop after i9 launches next month? The Socket 2066 i7s for Reason purposes don't seem to be exorbitant...I have a lot of catching up to do...tired of my old machine limiting me :-| just call me a flip flopper
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD

syncanonymous

24 Sep 2017

And the flip flop continues (as per usual)
I haven't yet been able to finish spec, purchase and or build a more powerful computer before my overdue deadline to deliver this music. This song I have been working on only grinds to a Computer Too Slow Hault (CTSH) if I scroll in any of the rack/seq/mixer windows. If no scroll, no stop...
So I decided to carry on optimizing the song.

I am getting an A LOT off mileage out of automating devices on only when they are needed. Automating off and on rack REs like DCAM & Softube FET; PHead fx like Alligator, Neptune, MCs, especially The Echo. Also, SSL automating mixer buttons really helps to free up dsp headroom. All this extra automation has given enough DSP headroom that I can now add more devices to finish the mix :-)

I say this because I had it in my brain that adding automation increases CPU load and I am sure further device parameter automation will increase CPU load. I was concerned while I was adding those extra 70 lanes of automation to the seq that I was wasting my time, but no, I gained the ability to finish my mix. Automating unused devices off (not bypass) when not in use also has returned my ability to scroll more freely.

Looking back on my previous CTSH situations, I now understand that it is worthwhile turning OFF an ECF-42 or an SSL compressor or EQ when not in use. I had never really done that before in my workflow. Going forward, now I know...and now I know not to dismiss anyone's song optimization suggestions. :-)

I am still gonna spec and buy a more powerful machine too.

EnochLight

24 Sep 2017

syncanonymous wrote:
24 Sep 2017
And the flip flop continues (as per usual)
I haven't yet been able to finish spec, purchase and or build a more powerful computer before my overdue deadline to deliver this music. This song I have been working on only grinds to a Computer Too Slow Hault (CTSH) if I scroll in any of the rack/seq/mixer windows. If no scroll, no stop...
So I decided to carry on optimizing the song.

I am getting an A LOT off mileage out of automating devices on only when they are needed. Automating off and on rack REs like DCAM & Softube FET; PHead fx like Alligator, Neptune, MCs, especially The Echo. Also, SSL automating mixer buttons really helps to free up dsp headroom. All this extra automation has given enough DSP headroom that I can now add more devices to finish the mix :-)

I say this because I had it in my brain that adding automation increases CPU load and I am sure further device parameter automation will increase CPU load. I was concerned while I was adding those extra 70 lanes of automation to the seq that I was wasting my time, but no, I gained the ability to finish my mix. Automating unused devices off (not bypass) when not in use also has returned my ability to scroll more freely.

Looking back on my previous CTSH situations, I now understand that it is worthwhile turning OFF an ECF-42 or an SSL compressor or EQ when not in use. I had never really done that before in my workflow. Going forward, now I know...and now I know not to dismiss anyone's song optimization suggestions. :-)

I am still gonna spec and buy a more powerful machine too.
Yeah, if you've gotten this far on an i3, you're quite fortunate. That said, when you do eventually spec/buy a new machine, you'll have a lot of choices. Well, not as many with a laptop as you would a desktop, but still - you'll have lots of options.

• Information