RESOLVED!!! Reason Not Recognizing My Sound Card For Audio Input

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
QVprod

07 Sep 2017

Sounds like a soundcard issue with the OS. That would explain the issue with an M Audio card as well. If you happen to be running Sierra there are known issues with the Scarlett range. You already installed the software, but perhaps you may need to follow some of the other steps listed for other problems.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... OS-Sierra-

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... ut-device-

Nerveclinic

08 Sep 2017

QVprod wrote:
07 Sep 2017
Sounds like a soundcard issue with the OS. That would explain the issue with an M Audio card as well. If you happen to be running Sierra there are known issues with the Scarlett range. You already installed the software, but perhaps you may need to follow some of the other steps listed for other problems.

Thanks I will have a look at the links but how can it be OS if the mic works fine through Scarlette and the computer? It's only Reason that is having issues. When I talk through the mic, the sound comes through my monitors. Even when I turn Reason on the vocal sound continues to come through the speakers.

How can it be Scarlette when M-Audio does exactly the same.

How can it be the computer OS when it's doing it on two different computers?

QVprod

08 Sep 2017

Nerveclinic wrote:
08 Sep 2017
QVprod wrote:
07 Sep 2017

Thanks I will have a look at the links but how can it be OS if the mic works fine through Scarlette and the computer? It's only Reason that is having issues. When I talk through the mic, the sound comes through my monitors. Even when I turn Reason on the vocal sound continues to come through the speakers.

How can it be Scarlette when M-Audio does exactly the same.

How can it be the computer OS when it's doing it on two different computers?
What you're hearing is direct monitoring. That audio isn't going through the computer. It's going straight from your interface to your speakers. I've had both a Fast Track Pro and a Scarlett 2i2 and most interfaces in that range have that feature.

demt

08 Sep 2017

asio4 all said to upgrade as they had a bug
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Nerveclinic

08 Sep 2017

demt wrote:
08 Sep 2017
asio4 all said to upgrade as they had a bug
I have an iMac it doesn't use Asio, but yeah if it was a PC would have been my first move.

Nerveclinic

09 Sep 2017

Now I have come to the point that I think the problem is definitely Reason because I installed Garage Band (Just to test this) And the mic immediately was recognized and worked fine without even changing preferences.

EnochLight

09 Sep 2017

Nerveclinic wrote:
09 Sep 2017
Now I have come to the point that I think the problem is definitely Reason because I installed Garage Band (Just to test this) And the mic immediately was recognized and worked fine without even changing preferences.
Perhaps a setting in Reason, then? I find it unlikely that you'd have the same problem with two different audio interfaces on two different Macs...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Nerveclinic

13 Sep 2017

Finally after one month I have a resolution. Counterintuitive in my opinion.

Different then it was set in the past, or I never noticed. Even though I have a Scarlette sound card with a mic going into it for the input, that is not what you set as the input. You have to set "Internal Mic + Scarlette" rather then just "Scarlette". It never occurred to me to try that before because logically that would be the iMac mic but for whatever reason that works, and Scarlette by itself as the input does not work.

I appreciate everyone who made the effort to help. I don't think this suggestion came up? I just tried it on a lark and it worked.

After about 10 real time hours of messing around, so simple in the end. (As it often is)

EnochLight

13 Sep 2017

Nerveclinic wrote:
13 Sep 2017
Finally after one month I have a resolution. Counterintuitive in my opinion.

Different then it was set in the past, or I never noticed. Even though I have a Scarlette sound card with a mic going into it for the input, that is not what you set as the input. You have to set "Internal Mic + Scarlette" rather then just "Scarlette". It never occurred to me to try that before because logically that would be the iMac mic but for whatever reason that works, and Scarlette by itself as the input does not work.

I appreciate everyone who made the effort to help. I don't think this suggestion came up? I just tried it on a lark and it worked.

After about 10 real time hours of messing around, so simple in the end. (As it often is)
Congrats! Glad to hear you got your issue fixed. Perhaps changed your thread title to "Resolved"?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Nerveclinic

13 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
13 Sep 2017

Congrats! Glad to hear you got your issue fixed. Perhaps changed your thread title to "Resolved"?
Good Idea I will. Good lesson for anyone with the same problem. Thanks for all your help. In the end you were right, a setting in Reason.

dbender82

30 Dec 2017

I'm having this same issue. I have a new macbook pro and a new midi mic. Mic is working fine everywhere but in Reason. What are the steps I need to take? THANK YOU!

EnochLight

31 Dec 2017

dbender82 wrote:
30 Dec 2017
I'm having this same issue. I have a new macbook pro and a new midi mic. Mic is working fine everywhere but in Reason. What are the steps I need to take? THANK YOU!
To begin with, what is a midi mic? Recording audio (via a microphone) and recording MIDI data (via a hardware or software instrument) are usually unrelated.

Anyway, how does the mic show up in OSX's System Preferences => Sound => Input? And in Reason, what are your options in Preferences => Audio => Active Input channels? When you create an audio track in Reason, are you able to select your mic from the dropdown audio input menu?

mics.jpg
mics.jpg (410.24 KiB) Viewed 6141 times

johnnyprophet3

25 May 2018

Nerveclinic wrote:
13 Sep 2017

I am running into the same exact issue with reason. I have been reading the thread and I see that this adjustment worked for you. I cannot find the setting you are speaking about. I am using Komplete Audio for input and wireless headphones for my monitor.
Can you tell me where you found the settings to change? I assume it was in Reason==>preferences but I cannot find anything under there so I may be looking at the wrong place.
Thanks

lilbec

11 Jul 2018

For anyone still struggling with this this video helped me:

• Information