Where Is Reason Headed?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ltbrunt00

13 Jun 2018

People are crazy, to many people use Reason as a DAW for it to go away. The funny thing with all the bells and whistles now in Studio One and Bitwigs sequencer I still complete projects faster in Reason.

I would rather have some of these other DAWS do something unique like creating a framework to support rack extensions. Bitwig is very lean on native instrument devices and if you don't spend a ton of money on VSTs your tool set will be very light. Propellerhead reason out of the box is loaded and with sales and freebees ecosystem is far greater than most DAWs.

if you were ultra cheap you could acquire a large pool of free refills until you got some money for other devices.

When I first got Bitwig I was like Dammit I am going to have to spend quite a lot of money on more VST instruments to get close to what I have in Reason just for the basic instrument devices.

Reasons mixer spoiled me, wish I could replicate their console in my other DAWs.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

kitekrazy

14 Jun 2018

ltbrunt00 wrote:
13 Jun 2018
People are crazy, to many people use Reason as a DAW for it to go away. The funny thing with all the bells and whistles now in Studio One and Bitwigs sequencer I still complete projects faster in Reason.

I would rather have some of these other DAWS do something unique like creating a framework to support rack extensions. Bitwig is very lean on native instrument devices and if you don't spend a ton of money on VSTs your tool set will be very light. Propellerhead reason out of the box is loaded and with sales and freebees ecosystem is far greater than most DAWs.

if you were ultra cheap you could acquire a large pool of free refills until you got some money for other devices.

When I first got Bitwig I was like Dammit I am going to have to spend quite a lot of money on more VST instruments to get close to what I have in Reason just for the basic instrument devices.

Reasons mixer spoiled me, wish I could replicate their console in my other DAWs.
I'd say it's more about familiarity than workflow. If you wanted to track the other developers over 6 months most have concentrated on improving their DAW as oppose to what Reason has done. Yeah I got some free stuff but it's still in the dark ages with too many things.

Uh Reason is a rack type DAW. It would have to be loaded. But the "loaded and with sales and freebees ecosystem is far greater than most DAWs", not even close. I'm turned off my Bitwig since if you want to keep it updated it's a annual price.

kitekrazy

14 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
04 Jun 2018
exxx wrote:
04 Jun 2018
I expect PH to gradually get out of the DAW market.

REASON has added many features, but the DAW internal tools have not surprisingly been updated.

Does it make sense to connect the KONG drum to use the transient shaper?

Separating the effectors should separate them.

Always have the same compressor and EQ stereo tools, even if the version goes up. They are not upgraded at all.
The internal racks are not at all like modern DAWs.

There are few benefits for existing users.

Policies favorable to new users only

I love REASON but I do not recommend it to my friends.
Well, if Reason was to stop being Reason then what incentive would we have to use it instead of Cubase, Logic, Live, Bitwig or Reaper? I'd wager many people use Reason precisely because it's different. I know I do.
The attraction is that it is unique. I'd bet the amount of licensed casual users is tremendous. Also Reason in it's proprietary form is stable. I don't think I've ever had it crash. The only time I've had it crash is with plugin scans.

Ejectzero

27 Jun 2018

Before I took a break from music I used Reason 6.5. Upgraded to R10 in Oct. I for one am amazed by the progress that has been made, especially with audio recording and processing. I love using pitch edit, comp and slice edit modes on the audio. I also way prefer the midi workflow. What I do find clumsy is the mixer/rack pages - wish I could integrate them better - provided, if you just read the manual and learn how things work you get really really far. Guess with triple screens it's fun, but on a single screen such as myself - ugh.. I just wish the stock devices were a bit more useful, but that's what RE's/VSTs are for, right?

selig
RE Developer

27 Jun 2018

kitekrazy wrote:
14 Jun 2018
antic604 wrote:
04 Jun 2018

Well, if Reason was to stop being Reason then what incentive would we have to use it instead of Cubase, Logic, Live, Bitwig or Reaper? I'd wager many people use Reason precisely because it's different. I know I do.
The attraction is that it is unique. I'd bet the amount of licensed casual users is tremendous. Also Reason in it's proprietary form is stable. I don't think I've ever had it crash. The only time I've had it crash is with plugin scans.
I'd go beyond that and say the attraction is that it is inspiring to make music. All DAWs are "different" and "unique" on some level. Reason has always focused on being a music creation DAW, while some other DAWs also focus on being a music production DAW. What's the difference? Some DAWs are more encouraging when you're starting a song, others more encouraging when you are finishing an existing song. I'd put Pro Tools in the latter category: where it shines IMO is when you bring a band into the studio that is ready to perform their music, and you capture it well.

What's difficult to find IMO is the complete package, at least for my way of working, that is both inspiring enough to create music and full featured enough to complete it.
Selig Audio, LLC

Oquasec

27 Jun 2018

Reason is as simple and complex as you can make it.
In many ways it is perfect. I?n many ways it is not.
(Even though Rewire makes it perfect)
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

jlgrimes

27 Jun 2018

Oquasec wrote:
27 Jun 2018
Reason is as simple and complex as you can make it.
In many ways it is perfect. I?n many ways it is not.
(Even though Rewire makes it perfect)
Part of it's charm though is its simplicity of its sequencer.

On one end, it's sequencer is behind many other programs but on the other hand it has a low learning curve and can get going pretty quick. Reason's arrangeview sequencer is one of my favorite. Things I like:

1. Tracks relatively auto organize themselves. One track one device concept works pretty well most of the time.
2. Its Number Pad key command defaults are perfect once you figure them out.
3. Stability, While reason has gotten more CPU intensive over the years, I am still pretty certain the program won't crash on me.
4. Low learning curve. I think when I made my first track on the sequencer in 2.5, I had the bulk of it mostly figured out (alots changed since then though but it still remains relatively simple).

Some programs while more complex than Reason can go too far and become more counter intuitive. Reaper and Logic have pretty deep sequencers and I really don't care for the workflows as I feel the sequencers try to do too much. It seems like they happily put in all the functions everybody wants and you end up looking at an actions list with like 1000 actions and you don't know where to start. Ableton and Reason are in similar camps with the "less is more" approach, where customization is minimal and a more streamlined workflow. Studio One kind of takes a middle of the road approach, where it is pretty customizable but still fairly easy to use.

• Information